Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: INTERESTING TERRIFYING BIOME WEATHER  (Read 2805 times)

awsomeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
INTERESTING TERRIFYING BIOME WEATHER
« on: November 07, 2012, 06:56:36 pm »

i recently created a new world (cant remember what it was called   ???) , right in the middle was a terrifying biome with no other evil surrounding it...

anyway i created a test fort to check out the location, it didn`t end well.

right after killing some chinchillas, it started to rain filth  form the sky, this filth badly bruised every part of my dwarves` bodys, and after that, it suffocated them!

upon further inspec. i noticed that they all got sick, vomited multiple times, and then there left arms rotted off.

they all died of suffocation, next time mine before you hunt.

EDIT: write back if something about this is similar, this has never happend to me before.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 06:59:48 pm by awsomeater »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: INTERESTING TERRIFYING BIOME WEATHER
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 07:55:20 pm »

Perfectly normal as of recent updates. Don't worry; it can get even worse! So very, very awfully worse!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 08:42:45 pm »

I once had a fort where it rained a dust that would cover every surface and liquid while turning every thing it touched it to a husk!
I also had one where it just rained blood.

evil biomes can be easy or truly horrifying.
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 08:45:03 pm »

Sounds like my first attempt on an evil biome. Starts raining rotting filth, half my starting dwarves die. Doctor can't do a thing about it.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 04:34:14 am »

The worst weather is the thralling weather. Instantly kills your dwarves/animals and turn them into a very strong zombie version. Ive had forts die to one single thralled cat, due to it getting very strong and spreading the thralling because of the dust that was on its skin.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 05:05:09 am »

I gave up on terrifying embarks. Each time I play, my kittens or dogs die and suddenly it's all over.

Reclaiming just makes it worse due to Urist Mcdeadzombie's skin eating my dwarves flesh off. Somehow.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 05:21:45 am »

My current Terrifying Embark has near constant malodorous ooze rain... When I first embarked and saw the rain, I thought, "Oh shit, is everything about to die?".

Turns out it just makes them unconscious. No damage is done to the dwarf at all, but it does make them very unhappy. My solution was to make a giant shelter and now no body gets rained on.

Other fun stuff I've seen due to the ooze:
- Hitting birds mid flight, causing them to plummet and die hitting the ground.
- Hitting my fisherman near a lake so he fell in and was washed away.
- Allowing me to shoot from within my shelter, at enemies passing out in the field.

All in all, I've turned it into a success.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 07:34:18 am »

My current Terrifying Embark has near constant malodorous ooze rain... When I first embarked and saw the rain, I thought, "Oh shit, is everything about to die?".

Turns out it just makes them unconscious. No damage is done to the dwarf at all, but it does make them very unhappy. My solution was to make a giant shelter and now no body gets rained on.

Other fun stuff I've seen due to the ooze:
- Hitting birds mid flight, causing them to plummet and die hitting the ground.
- Hitting my fisherman near a lake so he fell in and was washed away.
- Allowing me to shoot from within my shelter, at enemies passing out in the field.

All in all, I've turned it into a success.

I'm not sure if that is bad weather or best weather. It certainly sounds abusable if you take the right precautions.

awsomeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 08:48:48 am »

Perfectly normal as of recent updates. Don't worry; it can get even worse! So very, very awfully worse!

this may seem weird, but how worse (new to evil biomes...)

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 08:52:08 am »

I'm enjoying a haunted lake biome at the moment. The land around it is safe, but the lake itself animates the dead. I discovered this by the accidental placement of my tombs underneath it.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 09:02:30 am »

I'm enjoying a haunted lake biome at the moment. The land around it is safe, but the lake itself animates the dead. I discovered this by the accidental placement of my tombs underneath it.

Make a bacon factory! Dump animal corpses down there and have a grinder on the way out :D

Let's just say you'll want a lot of traps and very skilled axe and sword dwarves just to survive. And even that might not save you, if one of them steps outside.

awsomeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 09:35:28 am »

Make a bacon factory! Dump animal corpses down there and have a grinder on the way out :D

Let's just say you'll want a lot of traps and very skilled axe and sword dwarves just to survive. And even that might not save you, if one of them steps outside.

lets keep it that way...

awsomeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 09:37:20 am »

how would you block the dwarves from drinking or falling into it,you cant tell them but i wish you could.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 08:01:33 pm »

WARNING: if the biome raises undead in any manner, you should GET RID OF ALL EDGED WEAPONS IMMEDIATELY, since cutting off any part of a creature in a zombifying circumstance will lead to those parts joining the assault on the living!!

how would you block the dwarves from drinking or falling into it,you cant tell them but i wish you could.
Have you tried hitting o->z->d to set Zone-Only Drinking? And, in the same final menu, f for Zone-Only Fishing? (I generally set the latter just so whoever's assigned to fish doesn't spend their whole life doing nothing else in a pool that has no fish. Both of these will require that you designate zones where it is safe for dwarves to go for plain water and fish, respectively.)
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.