Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: Sui Generis - kickstarter Action RPG with procedural animations  (Read 27051 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Sui Generis - kickstarter Action RPG with procedural animations
« Reply #165 on: May 06, 2015, 12:28:30 pm »

Hey guys, I don't suppose we could get a key list going?
Where they're found, what they're used for, maybe locked doors we haven't managed to unlock too.
Here:
Spoiler: Keys (click to show/hide)

Hmm, bummer, seems they don't actually want you using physics to climb over things.
Just tried setting up a couple long benches to climb over the serving counter in the cafeteria, (no doors to reach it in the room).
My character starts walking up the bench as he should, but I think his head touches the ceiling & this causes him to instant-ragdoll and fall off.
Trying to go into combat mode mid-bench and crouching seems to pull his feet towards the floor, and he either falls off or forces one of his legs between the two benches I'm using as a ramp and straddles one.
And I thought I was onto something :(
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 06:00:18 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 06, 2015, 01:04:31 pm »

This game is infuriatingly difficult. I love it.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 06, 2015, 01:08:58 pm »

Snip

Good point. I hadn't really thought of it from that angle, I guess people are different (surprise!) :D

Personally, I've been taking a strange sort of enjoyment out of dying in this game. I guess it's the feeling that every death was my own fault, so I focused on improving myself and enjoyed it more as a result. I don't think I would have had that if I could have quicksaved. I'm really bad with savescumming, so in a way it was nice to not have the option.

But yeah, I definitely see what you mean. There is a threshold between a game being punishing and it being frustrating, and it varies from person to person. Like I said previously, it would be nice to have the option of going Ironman or not, but I still think the game is great even without it (Arena is where the real fun is at, anyway :P).

I know that Sui Generis is gonna have a respawn system, kinda Dark Souls-ish (sorry Grizzly :(). Basically, when you die you respawn somewhere (dunno where). You lose your items (which you can reclaim, though your body might get looted or moved), and you lose thaumaturgic (magic) power. Exanima is gonna have a checkpoint (one checkpoint), once more content is added. From what the steam page says, there's also gonna be some sort of global progression system, so you do get some progress as you die repeatedly.

With that in mind, I can see where they're going with the permadeath thing. They're basically going with the whole 'run through the gauntlet of misery'-thing in the main game, with you getting more badass as you keep dying (both the player and the character). Personally, I really like that idea, but again, people are different, and I'm a bloody masochist.

Also, regarding keys, you only really need that first one to complete the game, judging from the speedruns, though the other keys might hide some sweet loot.

Fake edit: Also, I would just like to share probably the most awesome moment I've had in the arena so far (you can see it in that video at 20:45). I was fighting the shield lady in the expert arena, the one with the red clothes and vest, using the maul. We traded a few hits and eventually got into a sort of grapple. I got out of it, swung my hammer at her, and like the total badass she was, she parried the blow and leapt off the ground, hitting my head with a perfect left-to-right slash as she did. It was entirely accidental, probably impossible to recreate, but my god was it badass. I then proceeded to kill her, and as an encore, I smashed her head in with my maul.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #168 on: May 06, 2015, 01:52:18 pm »

kinda Dark Souls-ish (sorry Grizzly :(
I'll deal with it, no worries.

I may or may not have just made a webm of that parry-leap.

Might I suggest setting your OBS to record in Full Range under advanced settings?
It'll make the blacks black, like so:D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 01:58:24 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 06, 2015, 02:16:42 pm »

kinda Dark Souls-ish (sorry Grizzly :(
I'll deal with it, no worries.

I may or may not have just made a webm of that parry-leap.

Might I suggest setting your OBS to record in Full Range under advanced settings?
It'll make the blacks black, like so:D

Thanks for the tip. I'm not really experienced in recording.

Mind sharing that webm, for those who don't want to watch the video?

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #170 on: May 06, 2015, 02:34:35 pm »

I'm not either  :P
Here's the webm. I probably should have downsized the resolution ->720.
Badges of honor

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 06, 2015, 02:57:01 pm »

I can't stop watching it, it's too awesome. :D

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 06, 2015, 04:42:32 pm »

But yeah, I definitely see what you mean. There is a threshold between a game being punishing and it being frustrating, and it varies from person to person. Like I said previously, it would be nice to have the option of going Ironman or not, but I still think the game is great even without it (Arena is where the real fun is at, anyway :P).

The thing that's frustrating is how snobbish the attitude is behind being stubborn about the issue.  Because it's not even people that are always different.  Sometimes it's different circumstances.  I love difficulty.  I'm normally a hardcore supporter of permadeath in games.  But that's normally for games with high levels of re-playability, which this does not have.  And the biggest problem is I don't have tons of free time.  It pisses me off when people's response is "So just keep trying until you get better, and then get satisfaction from that achievement."  Sorry, but I just don't have time to be a perfectionist style player who gets satisfaction from doing the same thing over and over again until I can do it blindfolded.  If that makes me a worthless casual, then so be it.  But telling me "then this game just isn't for you" is just going to piss me off, because I love absolutely everything about this game except the lack of a save feature.  They're basically telling me "We refuse to accommodate you on this little detail, because your distaste for that detail means you cannot legitimately appreciate everything else."  Whatever  ::)

Anyway, just to be clear... I'm not ranting at you... I'm just ranting.

I'd be fine with the lack of a save feature, anyway... even the lack of check points, true roguelike style... if there was a high level of randomization to go with it.  Give me Memento, not Groundhog Day.  And I understand this is basically a tech demo, but I've seen no indication that mixing things up for true replay value is going to be a feature of the final game.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #173 on: May 06, 2015, 04:45:38 pm »

hehe, found the armory. Goodies that aren't in the Arena-
-warhammer (1h)
-heater shield
-Plate grieves, (shin guards)

Did everyone find the plate rerebraces in the school? They were on a ledge in a small connecting 'hallway' between the two classrooms.
Badges of honor

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 06, 2015, 11:04:43 pm »

I'm getting pissed off reading the Steam forums trying to find this utility.  There are legions of people flaming everyone who asks for a save feature.  The solution repeatedly offered is "play more carefully and spend a couple hours learning in the arena first".... yeah, thanks.
Found it. Here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tzvytgyyahe2ylm/exanima_save.exe?dl=0

Thanks for digging that up for me... turns out I didn't need it, though.  2nd try after my rant, I finally made it past the first level.  And then the next two levels were a breeze.  I died once on each.  I think that first level just really needs some work to make it less frustrating. 
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 07, 2015, 01:15:16 am »

Congratz, you've gone further than I have :D

I think the experience is gonna be significantly better once the game develops, and especially once it goes open. Just having the ability to go another direction would do wonders, and you'd be able to make some preparations for when you die (stashes).

Let's hope the devs work on improving things (and hope they don't suddenly disappear or abandon the game, early access is early access).

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #176 on: May 08, 2015, 03:38:00 pm »

Heh, I think it's just 'armor=survivability'.
Once you've made it through the first level, you're at the point where most attacks only deal impact damage. And since you can always run away and lock yourself in a broom closet, you can usually regain all your health.
Before that though, just a couple hits are death.
Badges of honor

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 08, 2015, 05:41:12 pm »

Yeah, I have a feeling death is gonna be a rarity, once you get some decent armour. Which kinda balances out that you're gonna lose it all, when you die.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2015, 02:12:40 am »

There is now a new version with optional checkpoints for each dungeon level ("early checkpoints" option in options menu).

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2015, 08:44:41 am »

Fixed characters being unable to step away when pressed against walls

Aww. . .

Still, I'm glad they put the checkpoints in. Maybe more people will play it now.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14