Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: Sui Generis - kickstarter Action RPG with procedural animations  (Read 27064 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sui Generis - kickstarter Action RPG with procedural animations
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2012, 05:56:08 pm »

*snip*
Why does anyone ever make an engine instead of using a readily available one? Cause the existing ones might not suit their needs or they might feel they can make an engine that looks or performs better. A lot of the best games had an engine tailored to them. Not to mention the flaws inherent in a lot of existing engines. Also, you immediately assume the physics are a bad idea since everyone else does the opposite for performance reasons without considering that maybe this guy made it in a way that performs well. It's like looking at Doom 3 when it was first shown and immediately saying "Well, nobody else uses pixel shading cause of performance, idiot!". You're immediately assuming it runs bad when it wouldn't make sense to use it if it did. Like this guy might be out of his mind and it actually runs terrible on anything other than a monster machine, but why immediately assume that?

And you call the animations "shit". Have you looked at the animations in the average Action RPG these days? Character stances here leave much to be desired, but to me this is already leagues ahead of all the games where people just dispationately twack each other over their heads with 1-4 very rigid attack animations.

Also, this is called "Kickstarter". Not "Help polish a nearly ready product in exchange for a copy". There's been projects that started off with nothing but vague descriptions and maybe some names behind them. Things in this may and hopefully will be improved. Not everything has to be an FTL.

I'd concur that the story doesn't sound very promising at all, though.

You need to stop confusing the elements that make up gameplay with gameplay itself. There is taking a risk on a game that seems amazing but may not be... and then there is jumping ontop of a game because it features an element.
The physics in this look as essential an element to the overall gameplay as does the animation technology in Die by the Sword. Like how can you not see how an element that changes the fundamental way combat works influences an Action RPG?

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2012, 06:50:56 pm »

Guys, I wouldn't worry about performance much, seeing as:
Quote from: Madoc
Hi,

Actually optimisation was a huge part of the development process and at the core of the engine design, not an afterthought. It's what makes much of what we are doing possible. We've also achieved better results than expected.

The engine is OpenGL based and hugely scalable. You need a reasonable graphics card, we don't expect it to run well on Intel integrateds or the lowest end cards, but it doesn't need to particularly recent. The CPU and ram requirements are also extremely moderate.

I will quote part of what I posted on Rock Paper Shotgun:

"The videos are recorded in real time on an off the shelf mid-range computer. To compensate for the video’s horrible 30 fps we have the engine render each frame 8 times for smoother motion (yes, in real time). This is a feature available also in game. The computer doesn’t have fast storage (just a regular HDD) so we have to compress the video in real time which is a huge load on the system. Bottom line, it’s fast, really fast. In the videos I personally play one character and the other is AI controlled, all in real time while recording the video at effectively 240 fps."

Our character physics and animation system are also very efficient and we can have plenty of characters on screen.

We want to support both Mac and Linux with native clients. With Mac this should be trivial, we have less direct experience with Linux so we're not being particularly official about it yet.

I don't see a touchpad as being the most suitable input method for much of our combat but perhaps someone who is used to it could fair well. Typically only small movements of the cursor are required. Perhaps something could be done to improve controls for such devices.
Taken from their forums

EDIT: Actually, I'll just use this post as a massive dump of madoc's replies to questions on their forum since they have quite a bit of interesting/clarifying information.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DOUBLEEDIT:  Seeing as I backed the 40 euro tier, I will likely do some sort of raffle to give it away here when release is closer.
TRIPLEEDIT:  Looks like this thread is sinking, but doubleposts aren't my type of thing.  Also, added another quote
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 03:44:56 pm by Squanto »
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2012, 06:46:04 pm »

Ok forget my feelings about doubleposts this is serious business here:

We will be releasing an update on how you control your character in combat. We will definitely have blood in our game and almost certainly dismemberment. Weapons will get lodged into other characters as well as shields and possibly other things. This should all work very well with our physics!

This game will now officially be the closest thing to a 3D rendered DF-adventuremode that we will likely get within the next 20 years.
The B is for Business.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2012, 06:51:12 pm »

I don't want to see an RPG made with this engine so much as I want to see a Soul Calibur or Bushido Blade.

Then you can make the RPG :D

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2012, 07:22:08 pm »

Guys, I wouldn't worry about performance much, seeing as:
Quote from: Madoc
Hi,

Actually optimisation was a huge part of the development process and at the core of the engine design, not an afterthought. It's what makes much of what we are doing possible. We've also achieved better results than expected.

The engine is OpenGL based and hugely scalable. You need a reasonable graphics card, we don't expect it to run well on Intel integrateds or the lowest end cards, but it doesn't need to particularly recent. The CPU and ram requirements are also extremely moderate.

I will quote part of what I posted on Rock Paper Shotgun:

"The videos are recorded in real time on an off the shelf mid-range computer. To compensate for the video’s horrible 30 fps we have the engine render each frame 8 times for smoother motion (yes, in real time). This is a feature available also in game. The computer doesn’t have fast storage (just a regular HDD) so we have to compress the video in real time which is a huge load on the system. Bottom line, it’s fast, really fast. In the videos I personally play one character and the other is AI controlled, all in real time while recording the video at effectively 240 fps."

Our character physics and animation system are also very efficient and we can have plenty of characters on screen.

We want to support both Mac and Linux with native clients. With Mac this should be trivial, we have less direct experience with Linux so we're not being particularly official about it yet.

I don't see a touchpad as being the most suitable input method for much of our combat but perhaps someone who is used to it could fair well. Typically only small movements of the cursor are required. Perhaps something could be done to improve controls for such devices.
Taken from their forums

EDIT: Actually, I'll just use this post as a massive dump of madoc's replies to questions on their forum since they have quite a bit of interesting/clarifying information.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DOUBLEEDIT:  Seeing as I backed the 40 euro tier, I will likely do some sort of raffle to give it away here when release is closer.
TRIPLEEDIT:  Looks like this thread is sinking, but doubleposts aren't my type of thing.  Also, added another quote

Oh. My. God.
I want this game so much more than before right now.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2012, 09:12:36 pm »

I think this looks awesome.

I'd love it if it was fistfighting-focused, actually, and involved throwing furniture and drunken shenanigans. Imagine a dwarven drunken brawl adventure game.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2012, 10:30:39 pm »

It strikes me as weird that a lot of people here (at none other place than Bay 12 Games Forums) disregard Sui Generis in many ways, some of them unexpected or plainly baffling.

When I first saw the trailers and read the (purposely) vague description, I couldn't think of anything other than our own Dwarf Fortress, and saw a few highlights to Toady's own intentions on game making.
Blasphemy! Who the hell are you to say such things?
I can hear those screams rolling on, and that would be reasonable. Sui Generis is not being written as an extensive simulator controlling everything from physics to the barest details of a given creature's brain, but their promises and effort are great starting points. Not only pointing out their (maybe exceeded) hatred for linear stories, their narrative framework is unnervingly similar to DF's adventure mode. "A persistent world, your character might die and it's not overpowered, but he might be able to change stuff, or at least do hilarious things". I have the same feeling whenever I select the region of my adventurer and choose it to be a peasant, a hero or a demigod, all of them mortal and pretty unimportant in the long term.

For sure, I'm certainly omitting something about the world itself, because it's not procedurally generated as our own DF world is, but I think they're pursuing similar goals with a well-crafted world, one that might could be quite large. If one of us has fully explored a 257x257 DF world and found it boring to do (well, at it's entirety) then they have all the rights to feel contempt about the feel and sights of Sui Generis's one, even knowing that there's an entire team that will potentially enlarge, and counting the people who pledged for the world editing features, making sure that the world will be impressive at least.

Where does it say that the camera is just limited to an isometric perspective? There are segments in the pitch where you can see the sky, why would they limit the camera when it works just fine on any other angle? Right, they haven't used any other camera angle on their fighting videos (more on that in a minute), but maybe they're just doing that because of player comfort, though they should showcase their engine's capabilities out of our comfort zone.

As with all the combat and magic complaints, here's a recent video just for the sake of it, uploaded today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqaRqih7Cuw&hd=1

Now that's different, they've been hearing all these "drunken brawl" stuff and things seem polished. I'm no PR representative for these guys, nor they're paying me any royalties for this lenghty post, but haven't you feel a bit uncomfortable when you try to convince your friends to play a fresh, outstanding game, and they prefer to stick to all what is safe and sound? Toady has his own model to develop the game that has brought us to this forum, but when all those claims of 'getting 3D', 'having a full team of developers' and all those rambles (that usually appear on the General Discussion subforum) are answered by the promise of Sui Generis, what do we have to say?

Wasn't my intention to preach a lecture about a flawed pre-alpha, but we can always try.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2012, 11:11:17 pm »

but haven't you feel a bit uncomfortable when you try to convince your friends to play a fresh, outstanding game, and they prefer to stick to all what is safe and sound?

No, the games I have the toughest time getting my friends, who will play games I try to get them to play, are games that are not immediately fun.

and read the (purposely) vague description

I really don't give bonus to vagueness. Since I find that often when a game description gives you the ability to fill in the gaps it is because there was very little in there in the first place.

Not only pointing out their (maybe exceeded) hatred

This actually a huge flaw on two levels.
1) Pointing out mistakes in another game is taking attention away from what you are doing right
and more importantly
2) It often completely misses the point as to why those things exist in the first place.

For example Kenshin goes on a long rant about how terrible quests in RPGs are. This is to distract from the fact that they actually don't have anything in terms of short term NPC interaction in mind as well as, because the game includes bounties, completely misunderstands it.

Here is the thing.

This game looks very weak storywise BECAUSE it tries so hard not to pin you down. It never tries to tell me anything strong because it is too focused on "Ohh we arn't like those others guys" and "Ohh we will have a relationship system instead". A Relationship system? I've played the most linear games ever devised that have relationship systems with multiple factions.

Wasn't my intention to preach a lecture about a flawed pre-alpha, but we can always try.

If this was a game where they were keeping their cards close to their chest to surprise you later. I'd give it a pass, there is no one way to really make a game shine.

They are however asking you to invest in this game.

They NEED to be saying these things. Every "This looks Drunken" should be met with something to ensure you that it isn't how it is going to be.

If someone walked into your room and asked you to invest in a car... and the prototype they let you drive...
a) doesn't run
b) Smells bad
c) Looks bad

You are not going to invest in that car. They really arn't selling their own game.

And the thing is, I don't really think this is all that bad. My biggest issue with this game is it looks mildly boring.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2012, 06:30:12 pm »

114,251 it looks like they will not make it, and 51h to go :(

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2012, 09:53:24 pm »

114,251 it looks like they will not make it, and 51h to go :(

Actually, it has gone up about 25k in the last two days-ish, so it's probably going to be really close to the cutoff if it keeps going up like that.  The new updates seemed to help a lot.
The B is for Business.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2012, 10:04:34 pm »

This is basically adventure mode with graphics, right? I think it looks awesome and I hope that this, like all other games I've backed on the Kickstarter, will be funded.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2012, 09:49:43 am »

Actually I also want to see this funded.  I may throw some money at it.  Hopefully it makes it.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2012, 09:50:30 am »

Yeah, this thread revival made me pledge. Stupid kickstarter projects, taking all my money.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2012, 12:03:39 pm »

From everything I have read/heard about this project it sounds like it will turn out to be So Generic + shitty animations. Really, it just seems like any "action RPG" description I have ever seen only with flailing like an epileptic goose instead of animations.

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2012, 01:13:58 pm »

with flailing like an epileptic goose instead of animations.

I agree with you for the first video, but in the last one showing off shields the knight seemed to have much tighter and neater movements with considerably less flailing around.  It may just be an issue of mass distribution on their human models, I have the feeling the arms are heavier than they should be but the weight of the armor helped cancel out the "having your entire body nearly fall over with every swing you take" effects.
The B is for Business.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14