Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: So... Welcome, America, to your 51st? (Puerto Rico Thread)  (Read 15571 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So... Welcome, America, to your 51st? (Puerto Rico Thread)
« Reply #210 on: November 08, 2012, 05:11:01 pm »

They are also surrounded on all sides by America, and are totally dependant on imports from it.
And since when does the US give a shit about the UN?

Well, I don't see why seceding would mean they'd stop trading. And they've actually got a quite robust shipping economy that imports good from around the world. They are a coastal state, after all, so it's not like they'd be totally cut off.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 08, 2012, 05:15:38 pm »

What current reasons would they have for succeeding thou? 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 08, 2012, 05:19:26 pm »

Whatever insanity powers nationalism in general, really. Just on a smaller scale, I guess. Tribalism's always been a bit of a draw to our species, for all that it's caused more trouble than it's worth.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 08, 2012, 05:34:51 pm »

Naah, tribalism's great - it made progress necessary. Capitalism's basically absorbed some of tribalism's mechanisms to generate wealth; and one could make the case that Europe's rise to world dominance, nay, world domination (there I said it) has its foundation in the constant quarrels between the nation-tribes.

(All that with a grain of salt, of course ;) )
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 08, 2012, 05:44:18 pm »

So the cause of 9/10ths of the world's problems and the cure for 7/10ths? Sounds about right :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 08, 2012, 06:11:14 pm »

So the cause of 9/10ths of the world's problems and the cure for 7/10ths? Sounds about right :-\
Well, don't forget it was the tide of nationalism that gave us the french revolution, the American revolution, a united Germany, a unified italy, and broke down the power of the empires. Of course, It's also to blame for Fascism, the American civil war, The Viscius nitghtmare that was Central Europe:1918-1936, and many of the wars and conflicts currently ongoing.

So has it's good and it's bads. Still shouldn't make us deal with the idea of a independant Rhode Island though.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 08, 2012, 06:24:07 pm »

Well, looks like were getting a new state, seeing as Congress never says no to a new state.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 08, 2012, 06:35:10 pm »

One of only three states with the legal right to secede from the Union at-will (It was a requirement for them joining at all, even under threat of war)

This is not actually true.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 08, 2012, 09:04:34 pm »

What isn't? I mean, at the very least they are one of the few who can make a convincing argument to that effect, at least.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 09:06:38 pm by GlyphGryph »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 08, 2012, 09:38:11 pm »

I believe earlier in the thread it was pointed out that Puerto Rico has actually been blocked from becoming a state before. Also there was a whole fiasco of issues when it came to making a lot of the newer states states before. Historically congress has worried that the new states will vote for the opposite party and give the other party an edge, IIRC some of the newer states were only added as long as they added other states along with them that would hopefully vote the other way (I could be wrong about that though, my memory of American history can be kind of fuzzy).

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 08, 2012, 09:42:18 pm »

Puerto Rico's politics are....strange compared to the rest of the US. It's actually strongly Republican, despite Hispanics being a more Democratic group in the states.

Hence, there's really no telling who would benefit from PR being a state. It could stick to the GOP, or fall in line with the demographic trend once it has a say in national politics. Hopefully both the Democrats and the Republicans will assume that of course PR will end up supporting their side since it is obviously superior and both vote for accepting it while laughing at the other side for their foolishness.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 08, 2012, 09:44:44 pm »

From what I remember (Have yet to take APUSH), most of the problems that you're thinking of came from back when we had free states and slave states.  Each side was always worried that a new state would tip the balance in the others favor, so they normally added states in pairs, or you had results like bleeding Kansas. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 08, 2012, 11:00:10 pm »

I believe earlier in the thread it was pointed out that Puerto Rico has actually been blocked from becoming a state before.

Yes, this has been pointed out. But I haven't been able to find any evidence of this. If you know something, please, share!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 08, 2012, 11:09:16 pm »

Puerto Rico's politics are....strange compared to the rest of the US. It's actually strongly Republican, despite Hispanics being a more Democratic group in the states.

Hence, there's really no telling who would benefit from PR being a state. It could stick to the GOP, or fall in line with the demographic trend once it has a say in national politics. Hopefully both the Democrats and the Republicans will assume that of course PR will end up supporting their side since it is obviously superior and both vote for accepting it while laughing at the other side for their foolishness.
That would be amazing.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 09, 2012, 01:05:06 am »

And then they break hard Libertarian, leaving both parties gnashing teeth. :P
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16