Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bizzare stockpile behaviour  (Read 1011 times)

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bizzare stockpile behaviour
« on: November 07, 2012, 04:43:42 am »

Here's the problem.  I have loom in the caverns.  I stockpile next to it for cloth that only except from the link to the loom.  Bins are turned off for this one.  I have a minecart route that takes from the cloth stockpile and guides to the top and dumps.

The webs get collected.  The thread gets put into the stockpile.  Then some dumbass with a bin comes all the way down from the fort and gathers up the thread in the bin and walks back.

WTH?  Why is he taking thread from one stockpile and moving it to another one.  I've never seen anything like this.  There are no links whatsoever between the stockpiles.

The minecart works fine.  Every month someone pushes the empty cart to the top and then back.  Woohoo.

And there it goes again while I'm typing this.  Empty cart goes up and down, jackass with bin collects all the thread.  Anyone seen this bug before?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bizzare stockpile behaviour
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 04:50:12 am »

I've seen this with food.  Dwarves would rather have food in barrels than individually placed in a stockpile.  If you have two stockpiles, one that'll allow barrels, one that won't, and both that'll accept food, your dwarves will scoop up all your food for the barrels.  They'll go get new barrels if needed, to gather loose food into from the no-barrel stockpile and place into the ok-barrels one.

Sounds like something very similar is happening with your thread-bin issue.

If so, the work around is to not allow any stockpiles to accept both thread and bins.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 04:57:05 am »

It's not really technically a bug, but a side effect of overzealous hauling behavior. Dwarves see bins and barrels as much much closer to stuff and prefer to pack things into them.

Admittingly it's pretty frustrating for stockpile organization, and the way around is to use minecart dumpers that don't uses bins or barrels anywhere if you need compact stockpiles.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 05:10:59 am »

Ok good, I was worried I'd done something obscurely wrong.  I'd say that taking things out of a stockpile and putting them in another stockpile without any links is definitely a bug.  Off to the bug tracker!

Edit:  Oh good, someone already reported this.  http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5957
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 05:17:00 am by kingubu »

Hyphe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 05:29:23 am »

I'm not sure this is as bizarre as you suggest, if I'm understanding it correctly; a stockpile set to only take from a workshop is only taking from a workshop, and a stockpile *elsewhere* is set to take from anywhere, so is gleefully taking from the first. Could this be alleviated by turning off 'take from anywhere' in the second stockpile? (In addition to the other workarounds mentioned above.)

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 05:55:55 am »

Lol, I just turned bins on to see if that helps.

They come down the 126 steps from the main fort with a bin, pick up one thread, put it in the bin, toss the whole thing in the minecart and then go back upstairs.

Absolute win.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 07:24:53 pm »

If you still don't want bins next to the loom, I believe it will work to disallow them again and have the stockpile next to the loom "take from" the stockpile upstairs. Since bins aren't allowed downstairs, dwarves will never haul cloth from upstairs to the cavern, and I think setting the lower stockpile to take from the upper will prevent the upper from taking from the lower.

If I'm wrong then the worst that'll happen is that once in a while a single thread will get carried back and forth until someone snags it with a bin.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 02:53:02 am »

I like that 'take from upstairs idea'.  This time I just removed bins everywhere and made all the cloth into an auto quantum stockpile.  But I'll try that next time this comes up.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 03:33:09 am »

I'd probably just go to the cloth stockpile that's taking the threads and putting them in bins, and convert it into a custom stockpile that only accepts woven cloth. Do the same for any other cloth stockpiles that may be around, or if they are used particularly for thread, make them binless as well. When your minecart drives up, have it dump all the thread, designate it as a single-tile binless thread stockpile, and set the workshop you use the thread in to take from it.

M_So

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 04:05:53 am »

If you still don't want bins next to the loom, I believe it will work to disallow them again and have the stockpile next to the loom "take from" the stockpile upstairs. Since bins aren't allowed downstairs, dwarves will never haul cloth from upstairs to the cavern, and I think setting the lower stockpile to take from the upper will prevent the upper from taking from the lower.

If I'm wrong then the worst that'll happen is that once in a while a single thread will get carried back and forth until someone snags it with a bin.

that would not work because then they will just carry all the thread back down after it is sent up.

the way I get around this is by having a 1x1 stockpile at the spot the mine cart drops the thread and disallowing it in the one that keeps taking it, the one downstairs will not take it because it is in the 1x1 stockpile and they will not carry thread to that one because it will be full. (if you dislike quantum stockpiles this is not a good fix) 
Your fortress lived happily ever after. A winner is you!
Press Enter to close window...