Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Wing and a Prayer  (Read 2126 times)

bdsorensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Wing and a Prayer
« on: November 06, 2012, 10:38:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So my axedwarf managed to kill the rider of this lovely beast after slicing off it's wing. After killing the rider, he sliced off a foot, then went off to take a nap.  Thinking it dead, or at least, useless, as the siege had broke, I decided to focus on building the wall.

Now it's harassing my workers by flying around.

With one wing.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 09:06:48 pm by bdsorensen »

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: A Wing and a Prayer
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 11:07:44 pm »

One-winged angel, anyone?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

bdsorensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 11:29:22 pm »

A miner backhanded it and it flew off the map.... I'm just wondering how flying works in Dwarf Fortress. By the looks of it, only one wing is required to fly. For Giant Thrips, anyway.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 03:11:41 am »

Picture fail.

This is, odd. Can we get confirmation from RAWs? Because flying with one wing and harrasing miners probably isn't intentional.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 03:28:32 am »

Yeah, I think flier tag is attached to wings, and as long as one of them works, it'll fly on.

As for harassing miners, creatures randomly harasses dwarves :D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 01:11:44 pm »

Butterflies can keep flying with whatever portion of one wing or two they have left as long as the head remains uninjured.

bdsorensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 05:47:15 pm »

Picture fail.

This is, odd. Can we get confirmation from RAWs? Because flying with one wing and harrasing miners probably isn't intentional.
Picture fail? Did I do something wrong? I'm pretty new to these forums, and I thought I was doing it right...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 05:48:33 pm »

Picture fail.

Picture fail? Did I do something wrong? I'm pretty new to these forums, and I thought I was doing it right...
It's not working, at least for me. Try moving to a different image-sharer?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

bdsorensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 05:57:06 pm »

Picture fail.

It's not working, at least for me. Try moving to a different image-sharer?
I can see it, so I'm not sure what's wrong. I used postimage.org; what image-sharer are you using?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 08:00:46 pm »

Well, it's not working for me, either. Try imgur, imageshack, there's probably a google more, and a google plus a few more that also don't work for most people.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

bdsorensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 09:08:01 pm »

Well, it's not working for me, either. Try imgur, imageshack, there's probably a google more, and a google plus a few more that also don't work for most people.

Alright, all changed up using imgur. Though this has gone from 'wow this is a weird flying quirk' to 'adventures in image posting', I really appreciate the help.

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 09:25:50 pm »

It's been a while since the last time I played a flying adventurer, but if I remember correctly, my (pretty pony princess) axelord had to chop off both a giant eagle's wings to reliably knock one out of the sky. I believe I was sometimes able to bring the avian menace down by crippling a single wing or even the legs, but it didn't always drop them.

I learned this because I was in the habit of seeking out flying wildlifefoes, fighting them as high in the air as possible and trying to make them fall to their deaths. Consider it revenge for the vulture that knocked one of my dwarves off a 20-z-level cliff.

SeymoreGlass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 10:54:51 pm »

By the looks of it, only one wing is required to fly.

If by one wing you mean the FLYER tag and bug-all else.
The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration (waiting on someone to sig that)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 04:41:06 am »

Stunning the fliers makes then stop flying and they can drop to thier deaths if they are high up enough.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

bdsorensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 06:44:48 pm »

By the looks of it, only one wing is required to fly.

If by one wing you mean the FLYER tag and bug-all else.
They don't even need wings?
Pages: [1] 2