Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do MUD's and ASCII Graphics Provoke Insanity?

Yes
- 20 (29.9%)
No
- 47 (70.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Do MUD's and ASCII Graphics Provoke Insanity?  (Read 4544 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Do MUD's and ASCII Graphics Provoke Insanity?
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2012, 12:59:51 pm »

Oh yeah, there's also the desire for cake and the friendship of cubes. But that's a minor issue.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2012, 01:18:26 pm »

I hear that if you start playing GTA with the desire to run over pedestrians, you'll stop wanting to after a couple hours. Mostly out of sheer relief that real cars don't handle that badly.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Squul

• Escaped Lunatic
  • The leaves are walking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2012, 01:53:37 pm »

The article drops that title but fails to follow through. And in fact I can't really tell whether he's bashing ascii graphics or praising them.

I don't see the piece really basing anything really.  Like someone said earlier it has a "thought of the day" feel.  Where he mentions graphics not dictating whether or not a game is good is something I can definitely agree with.  So I don't think its really bashing or praising either genre.  But it favors both in my opinion.

I'm not sure I take seriously an article where, near the top, a MUD client is given the same blame for grinding a machine to a halt as a Youtube 'tab'.

If hes doing Ubuntu and Windows then it could have just been a light self-joke leading into a comparison.  I can't run DF with anything...wait can anyone run other stuff with DF?

Wait, I thought we were all crazy, just not the bad kind.

Yea who ever said insanity was a bad thing! lol

But is it that DF makes people crazy (and keeps them that way after they stop playing), or is it that people who enjoy games like DF tend to be crazy, and crazy tends to attract crazy?

There's the debate!  I vote a little bit of both.  I think we all get super creative with ASCII like the writer said.  The last line kind of hinted that maybe it can be overkill more to ourselves but even that doesn't come off as being put in a bad light.  Figure the whole thing was about the tireless mass of mad-scientist minded players of these kinds of games being almost genius actually..holy shit we're geniuses!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2012, 01:58:26 pm »

... some of us really don't get particularly creative with imagining ASCII. Me, I'm having my @ sign murder alphanumerics or whathaveyou. Unicode genocide.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2012, 02:10:43 pm »

I disapprove of the lack of a "Banana!" option in this poll.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2012, 02:55:59 pm »

If hes doing Ubuntu and Windows then it could have just been a light self-joke leading into a comparison.  I can't run DF with anything...wait can anyone run other stuff with DF?

I usually had a few browser tabs open, and maybe a music player or MSWord as well, while running DF.

But is it that DF makes people crazy (and keeps them that way after they stop playing), or is it that people who enjoy games like DF tend to be crazy, and crazy tends to attract crazy?

There's the debate!  I vote a little bit of both.  I think we all get super creative with ASCII like the writer said.  The last line kind of hinted that maybe it can be overkill more to ourselves but even that doesn't come off as being put in a bad light.  Figure the whole thing was about the tireless mass of mad-scientist minded players of these kinds of games being almost genius actually..holy shit we're geniuses!

That wasn't really a serious question. Games (like all media) don't cause significant long-term changes in a person who isn't already unstable and tending towards further instability. Psychological research can show some degree of causation between exposure to violent media and short-term violent behavior (with context cues related to the subject of the medium in question) in young children, but that's about it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2012, 06:14:58 pm »

No, but the insane people stick around long enough to learn how to play.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2012, 10:37:53 pm »

I don't think creativity promotes insanity, but then again sanity is suggestive and I haven't thought of myself as sane for most of my life. That is due to both nature and nuture however and is somewhat irrelevant.

I glimpsed at the article and after several minutes of typing out a reply realized that I have nothing nice to say about the author of the article. So here is a picture of a cat made of pizza.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2012, 08:38:09 am »

wait can anyone run other stuff with DF?
I don't doubt they can.

I'm currently 'grinding'[1] an Adventurer in DF on a home machine where (for some reason[2]) it's between 3 minutes and 5 minutes between movement or 'tick-worthy' action (moving the "look" or "throw" cursor around is normal speed, actually throwing something means the long pause before "I have control again" the same as with moving to an adjacent tile), as the nominal "100 (40)"-ish FPS indication drops down to "0 (0)" until suddenly it zooms to "400 (??)"-ish (before throttling back to the cap of 100 again) and then I'm back in the room.  DF is rushing it's little legs off (and the case/CPU fan noise goes up a notch or two, although not as high as it could go) and certainly doing something.

But (and with no sign that this slows down DF's meditations at all) I've been able to both watch video files and even render 3D scenes (the former might be mitigated by the graphics card, the latter won't be) without noticeable slowdown from when I don't have DF running.  On a single-core processor[3].  As it's an off-line machine, I haven't tried connecting it up to Youtube and seeing if that's affected.

However, the comparison was between Youtube video playing and a telnet session, and the latter is far less intensive of both network connection (at least while Youtube buffers as quickly as it can) and console power, is all I was saying.  And far less (internally) than DF in unpaused Fortress mode, as well.

Just to make what I was saying a bit clearer.  (And it's been a few versions since I've personally noticed DF prevent any other program progressing accordingly, in the background, as well as in the foreground when DF is backgrounded, though I have seen some performance hit.)

here is a picture of a cat made of pizza.
That's not just a cat made of pizza.  It's a cat made of pizza IN SPACE!!!!

[1] Not as in "spamming skill-increasing stuff", although I am sneaking (but already Legendary at <foo>/2000, by now, and only sneaking to avoid too much conflict with aggressive wildlife, not to train)

[2] I'm speculating it's because of too much wildlife, possibly even unseen cavernlife (every now and then I've had "The Reacher is no longer enraged" notifications), moving around in the immediate vicinity and causing a lot of between-turn calculations to take place.  Either that or somewhere just out of sight there's a worldgen glitch with massive liquid movements happening (but I'm getting no cave-in messages).  Either way, I'm hoping that when I've scoured this location (a cave that had a now ex-werebeast, and a bandit camp with a now ex-bandit leader (probably killed by the werebeast, as with most of the rest of the bandits) for valuables I can walk away from the location and get my FPS back again.  Or find out what's causing it, perhaps, and deal with it if it's yet more packs of dingoes hogging the movements calculator.  (I'm rather stocked up on dingo meat, already.)

[3] Maybe it's XP's multitasking priorities gone awry, but it doesn't appreciably lag for any other aspect of DF, just this one Adventurer that I don't really want to abandon if I can help it.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2012, 11:31:34 am »

The only reason these games seem to have more insanity is, unlike a large number of games nowadays, they ALLOW it. If you don't allow people to kill children in games, they won't. If you do, they will, seems to me as simple as that.
QFT

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2012, 11:32:47 am »

The only reason these games seem to have more insanity is, unlike a large number of games nowadays, they ALLOW it. If you don't allow people to kill children in games, they won't. If you do, they will, seems to me as simple as that.
Reminds me of a certain work of art. It was made from an aquarium(Including fish), a blender, and a button.

Killed around 20 fish in 2 days.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2012, 02:10:09 pm »

Hence fallout.

A better example would be Fish tycoon. It was simple, you had fish, you had a store and you had some fun tools. I managed to get a breeding pair of a magic fish of fertility. The resulting mess was a fishplosion of baby fish everywhere.
Many funs were had. One fish I kept putting in and out of suspended animation, freezing, unfreezing. It was immortal. I never allowed it to die. Many were scrapped or sold away to make room for the next generation of super fish. Growth hormones, snails, pagodas. All were employed in the pursuit of science.
Science of the fish.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2012, 02:11:52 pm »

I'm beginning to think that they do cause insanity in humans.
Good thing I'm an aeroplane.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2012, 10:34:45 am »

I think there are much too few games that allow you to be insane.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2012, 10:59:33 am »

I'm going to try and find examples in 10 minutes.

Hmm... this would make a good forum game.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5