Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just registered to share this horror story  (Read 2892 times)

SavageDwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Just registered to share this horror story
« on: November 06, 2012, 04:05:04 pm »

Well, so I hadn't played before, just watched a few tutorials.

Anyhow, I got a farm going, dug down and around a bit and such, opened a huge cave by mistake (I had no idea how to close it). The cave let in some creatures (trogdlytes?) that kept attacking me, annoying. So first I tried to block it off with some walls, unfortunately my mason left himself on an edge he couldn't get off, and although I saw him there, I figured he was just lazy. He ended up starving to death.

There were two trade caravans. I stole all their things by deconstructing the trade depot. Seems like a good idea? Free stuff! A dwarf child went insane because he couldn't construct an artifact, and I had to send a spearman after him. The battle report so nicely described it, the spearman dealt with this poor child by striking off his arms one by one, so that they flew in a nice arc.

Anyhow, maybe I went mad. Harassed by trogdlytes. But I got tired of the dwarves so I deliberately caused a small cave in, diverted a flood into the fortress, stopped food and booze production and moved the refuse pile inside (and broke open all tombs). On top of that, a giant cave spider slaughtered half of my dwarves down in some dark cave.

So, in the midst of small children going berserk and starving to death and the purple miasma fumes my dwarves slowly died. The bedrooms were all filled with corpses, miasma spewing out like a chimney through my entrance. I had two remaining survivors (one of them slept next to the corpse of his friend, and was haunted by the ghost of two others nearby). I figured they'd all die soon... A cave alligator had broken in as well and was tearing up my pet animals, spraying the walls with blood...

But no... a group of about 30 migrants arrived. To this scene from hell reminiscent of event horizon, with dead and rotting dwarf corpses throughout the fortress, no food, no booze. Which cruel game would send more dwarves to die to this.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:08:23 pm by SavageDwarf »

Jellycat12

• Bay Watcher
  • My destiny is a giant ROCK!?
    • View Profile
Re: Just registered to share this horror story
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 04:06:45 pm »

This is pretty normal for dwarf fortress.
)( Pisces and proud of it. )(
Just so you know, I'm a girl.
Songs of the Strawberry Trees~My suggestion game!

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 05:09:34 pm »

This is pretty normal for dwarf fortress.
Pretty much.

P(ony)SI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 06:05:45 pm »

Hah, I bet everybody has had a moment like this when they started playing.
You'll get used to this, trust me. There's more fun things ahead of you ;D

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 08:30:54 pm »

I know that feeling.
Losing is fun! Losing spectacularly on purpose even more so.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 07:35:33 am by TKGP »
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 08:40:00 pm »

Dang. I wish my first few forts had ended like that. I think my first fort just died of thirst while I tried to muddy sand to build a farm plot above-ground.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 09:56:19 pm »

I know that feeling.
Losing is fun! Losing spectacularly on purpose even more so.
Your links are broken BTW. You have extra "http://"s in there and some extra quotation marks.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 11:45:15 pm »

Which cruel game would send more dwarves to die to this.

It's not a cruel game.  You're the overseer, it's up to you to roll out the red carpet for the migrants.  Which I guess you did, what with the spraying blood.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 07:33:49 am »

Your links are broken BTW. You have extra "http://"s in there and some extra quotation marks.
Sheesh. I honestly have no idea how I managed to pull that off. That'll teach me to copy pasta without paying attention. Thanks for the heads-up.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 08:06:32 am »

Welcome to Dwarf fortress my friend! :)

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 10:37:32 am »

Aww you got a nicer entrance to this game then me!  :P
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 01:09:45 pm »

Ah, the learning process for the Overseer.

First the Overseer learns how to massacre their Dwarves, then they learn how to care for them.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 05:03:02 pm »

Pretty much all of my forts end to intentional magma flooding or suicide by clown a few years after founding because I get bored. I am too uninspired for this game.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 04:38:13 am »

Pretty much all of my forts end to intentional magma flooding or suicide by clown a few years after founding because I get bored. I am too uninspired for this game.

Play masterwork and you can die on many new things.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 12:28:52 am »

Welcome to DF.  Enjoy your stay :D
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.
Pages: [1] 2