Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23

Author Topic: Elite - Dangerous  (Read 53539 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Elite - Dangerous
« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2016, 03:40:11 pm »

*I took a mission to rescue a kidnapped hostage, but the target had no bounty. I'm an idiot who forgot how bounties work for a bit, so I fired anyway to get their shields down, and this led to a whole clusterfuck that would've been a great story if it weren't kicked off because law enforcement took exception to me doing a job they gave me.
I've seen similar missions. Are you sure the faction who gave you the mission was also the system authority? I had a minor faction ask me to rescue a 'hostage' (prisoner) who was being held by the faction currently in power.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2016, 03:47:33 pm »

I am, yeah. They were the system authority, and they were running the outpost I took the mission at, and I found the target in the same system and he came up clean. When I looked into it apparently other people were having similar problems, as well as ones like the Hostages not counting for the mission and stuff, so I'm pretty much just chalking it up to poor testing and waiting for the bugs to get worked out.

It's a fantastic game, but only when it works properly.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 13, 2016, 07:04:47 am »

Let's get this thread going again! With the Dangerous Games starting, the universe of Elite: Dangerous is about to see its first player-made power! Who are you going to back? Personally I'm voting for UGC as the wildcard entry and hoping the Border Coalition wins the overall competition, but I'd love to hear what you guys think and why!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2016, 08:01:44 pm »

Sorry for Necroing this months old thread. But I just got this game suddenly gifted by my two brothers.
While downloading and installing.. I have a question.. What will I expect from this game? (I have tried the old old old DOS game, but I only remember it vaguely.)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2016, 08:10:58 pm »

Sorry for Necroing this months old thread. But I just got this game suddenly gifted by my two brothers.
While downloading and installing.. I have a question.. What will I expect from this game? (I have tried the old old old DOS game, but I only remember it vaguely.)
elite is a game that does very little hand holding. If you are the type that can make his own fun and enjoy a massive map in which to do it, you will enjoy this. Keep in mind that many things will change over time too. The devs have a years long development plan for annual paid expansions which add new features as well as regular content updates which are free.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 12, 2016, 08:17:54 pm »

Will I easily get overwhelmed by the everything?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #171 on: October 12, 2016, 08:21:51 pm »

Will I easily get overwhelmed by the everything?
there is a definite "crisis of choice" moment for some people. If your brother's are going to play with you that will help but my advice is to pick a system and focus on it and a few nearby. Run missions and get comfortable with flying, landing, and planetary approach if you have the horizons expansion. Do some paste hunting at a nav beacon or something once you understand how your ship flies.

Never ever fly without enough cash to cover the insurance fee for destruction.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 12, 2016, 08:31:10 pm »

Ah but they do not actually play the game.
They just skimmed through my wishlist during my cakeday (It is over now though.), and decided to buy that one.

So this game seem to have multiplayer, right? In what way though?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2016, 08:36:04 pm »

Multiplayer is optional. If you log in with "open" mode you will see some other players if they also happen to be in the same system. It uses a complex instancing system so you won't be inundated with other players even in a full system with thousands of others online.

You can go solo instead and never see other players, or set up a private group to play with. There are a few big private groups that discourage PvP play and just help each other out.

Happy belated birthday by the way.

I play the game still. Mostly I have been waiting for 2.2 patch to drop.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 12, 2016, 08:53:22 pm »

Oh? What will happen in patch 2.2?
Don't want any major spoilers though, if you can help it. :v

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #175 on: October 12, 2016, 09:05:17 pm »

Oh? What will happen in patch 2.2?
Don't want any major spoilers though, if you can help it. :v
just some fun features. Ship launched fighter craft, passenger missions and some new visual stuff. New planet textures and station variants.

Also some new story progression is coming which I won't spoil. Should be fun.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 13, 2016, 03:07:36 am »

Just started playing this again, farming imperial ranks ATM, should be done by tomorrow, and then i need to farm the engineer upgrades. Basically setting up for the new update.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 13, 2016, 04:45:56 am »

Ship-launched fighters should be fun if they are cheap to replace. Something tells me they'll get annihilated by laser turrets or homing missiles though, and I'm not even going to get started about railguns >.>. I'm not really interested in the upcoming passenger missions though since it's most likely going to be just a different flavor of FedEx mission with different equipment/ship requirements.

What I'm really hyped for is the 2.3 and 2.4 patches which, if I'm not mistaken, will bring character creation/customization and multi-crew ships. This will give a proper reason to play with friends since at the moment there is little reason to group up aside from fun since the way bounties and trading works, a player in a group makes less money over time than one doing his own thing alone. With the exception maybe of war zone ship-destroying mission stacking as a group.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:04:02 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 13, 2016, 02:23:35 pm »

As you im not very interested in this patch mechanics, im curious about the new sites and possible new story developments.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #179 on: January 06, 2017, 07:13:08 am »

So the thing happened. We've had first contact with aliens. For now it's a scripted event that triggers on specific circumstances but they look pretty amazing
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23