Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23

Author Topic: Elite - Dangerous  (Read 53540 times)

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elite - Dangerous
« Reply #150 on: October 08, 2015, 06:25:45 pm »

So i found i had an eagle in the hanger,  so ive tricked that out a little.  Attempted to turn the sidewinder into a miner,  but sort of failed misserably,  the single bin refinery is useless.  And i accedentaly voided my hopper twice.
Will try catch up with my eagle over the weekend to do some bounty hunting.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #151 on: October 09, 2015, 01:15:09 pm »

So i found i had an eagle in the hanger,  so ive tricked that out a little.  Attempted to turn the sidewinder into a miner,  but sort of failed misserably,  the single bin refinery is useless.  And i accedentaly voided my hopper twice.
Will try catch up with my eagle over the weekend to do some bounty hunting.
Oh jeeze, yeah mining with a small refinery is terrible. You need at least 3-5 bins for it to be worthwhile.

I have recently been doing some lucrative new smuggling missions. I made 1.6 million last night off of just two missions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 09, 2015, 01:25:44 pm »

Decided to dump the progress I'd made (not much) and restart with the good ol' stock Siddie. I'd almost forgotten what it was like to be jumped by a kitted-out Federal Dropship too dumb to realize that the ammo costs aren't worth 6t of cheap cargo, never mind the bounty.

Or the hell of trying to find a mission that you can actually complete, I.E. not sourcing a bunch of rare metal or an assassination contract with 15min left and a target 200LY away.  ::)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #153 on: October 09, 2015, 02:28:09 pm »

Just made another cool 2 million from 2 smuggling missions and a cargo hauling mission all to the same system. Getting closer to my python...

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 09, 2016, 04:13:06 am »

Necroing to rather uselessly say that I got Elite an dit's actually a lot better than I was expecting. Felt like everyone was saying that it has no content and gets boring super fast, that it's basically space trucking simulator 2015.
I love it so far. I have 49 hours in and got it (without Horizons) about a week ago, and while it may not be too complicated or in-depth, it's just fun. Right now I have a Viper MKIII fitted out with twin beam lasers and twin multicannons and have been bounty hunting in REZes.

Really just curious, but does any one else still play Elite?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2016, 06:11:15 am »

Necroing to rather uselessly say that I got Elite an dit's actually a lot better than I was expecting. Felt like everyone was saying that it has no content and gets boring super fast, that it's basically space trucking simulator 2015.
I love it so far. I have 49 hours in and got it (without Horizons) about a week ago, and while it may not be too complicated or in-depth, it's just fun. Right now I have a Viper MKIII fitted out with twin beam lasers and twin multicannons and have been bounty hunting in REZes.

Really just curious, but does any one else still play Elite?

I was about to get it before the whole Horizons thing - I think that put a lot of people off. I'm definitely going to buy it when they do a bundle sale though.
I really hope they've learnt their lesson from Horizons - I don't think it went as planned at all. I think they were aiming for a sort of WoW type expansion idea and instead it just pissed everyone off.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 09, 2016, 07:25:21 am »

I still play elite all the time. I don't know what you mean by "The whole Horizons thing". So far it's a great expansion with plenty of content to come.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #157 on: January 09, 2016, 09:36:00 am »

Well people are free to wait for a sale or until the content catches up with their expectations.

I still play at least once a week, and driving around on planets is a blast.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 09, 2016, 11:04:04 am »

Well people are free to wait for a sale or until the content catches up with their expectations.

I still play at least once a week, and driving around on planets is a blast.

This, basically, it will get cheaper, and as time passes, more content will be added to horizons making the value even better.

I was mildly disappointed with Elite when it first shipped. It wasn't a bad game, I felt it had parity with the original elite, however, which was good enough. As the year passed up until just before Horizons was released, they added so much to the game that it became something completely new and different.

If you're looking at it from a traditional game purchase expectation, yeah, I'm not surprised you were disappointed. Horizons today isn't the full game. It'll be added to and expanded upon over the next year or two. This is how E:D development has played out so far and they were very open about it, so it shouldn't have surprised anyone. If you need more than just "driving around a bit" then you probably should wait. It's also still very possible to get the base game on it's own for a very reasonable price, which includes the year of additional dev features that didn't ship with the game , and I have no doubt around the time the next expansion comes out, Horizons will have dipped down quite a ways as well and have a lot more added to it.

Patience is a virtue in this case. Personally, I'm having a blast and don't mind supporting the game. I had my reservations at the beginning, but Braben and his team have redeemed themselves, and proven, in my eyes, they're worthy of my trust on this game.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 09, 2016, 01:51:46 pm »

Ah, Elite, not dangerous. Best not dangerous game to be made.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 09, 2016, 02:16:49 pm »

Anyone else trying to find aliens in the pleiades?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #161 on: January 09, 2016, 03:02:24 pm »

Anyone else trying to find aliens in the pleiades?
I'm planning a trip out there soon yeah.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 09, 2016, 03:14:17 pm »

I made the mistake of building a diamondback scout for the trip, i chose to equip a fuel scoop and the plan was to sell it on obsidian station and equip a cargo hold, dont make the same mistake, seems there is no outfitting down here.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #163 on: January 09, 2016, 03:16:02 pm »

I made the mistake of building a diamondback scout for the trip, i chose to equip a fuel scoop and the plan was to sell it on obsidian station and equip a cargo hold, dont make the same mistake, seems there is no outfitting down here.
I'm bringing an Asp myself.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 09, 2016, 03:29:06 pm »

I have spent entirely too much time playing this game. I like it less lately, but it's been a week or two so maybe there's been a new update, but the newer missions feel overly grindy in a lot of ways and they're starting to stretch suspension of disbelief*, not to mention the glitch when Horizons launched where I'd get multi-part missions that, on the final leg of the mission, required me to land on a planet. Despite not owning Horizons. Pretty sure that one's been fixed, though.

*I took a mission to rescue a kidnapped hostage, but the target had no bounty. I'm an idiot who forgot how bounties work for a bit, so I fired anyway to get their shields down, and this led to a whole clusterfuck that would've been a great story if it weren't kicked off because law enforcement took exception to me doing a job they gave me.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23