Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23

Author Topic: Elite - Dangerous  (Read 53516 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elite - Dangerous
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2015, 10:05:19 pm »

I backed E:D and didn't really play it til last night. And oh gawd I'm so hooked now, it's the best gaming experience I've had in the past few years. It's the X game I was waiting for and never got.

Right now still doing trading in Sidewinder and working towards the Adder!

Hit me up in the game (not sure how), I am CMDR Elsior.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2015, 02:55:06 am »

I backed E:D and didn't really play it til last night. And oh gawd I'm so hooked now, it's the best gaming experience I've had in the past few years. It's the X game I was waiting for and never got.

Right now still doing trading in Sidewinder and working towards the Adder!

Hit me up in the game (not sure how), I am CMDR Elsior.

come and join us in pand and orokudumbla, the bay 12 purple central industries support group needs a bit more grunts like you www.pci.freeforums.net

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2015, 09:14:02 am »

This felt relevant.

I find it really strange - on the one hand, being forced to make your own roleplaying up to actually enjoy a game seems slightly rubbish, as the game itself should provide you with enough to occupy your time and thoughts, but on the other hand that review made it sound really fun and if it provides you with the tools to have a really great roleplaying experience then that's fantastic.

I just wonder much you actually affect the galaxy? Can you actually change stuff with enough hard work, or does it basically not care?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2015, 09:46:22 am »

This felt relevant.

I find it really strange - on the one hand, being forced to make your own roleplaying up to actually enjoy a game seems slightly rubbish, as the game itself should provide you with enough to occupy your time and thoughts, but on the other hand that review made it sound really fun and if it provides you with the tools to have a really great roleplaying experience then that's fantastic.

I just wonder much you actually affect the galaxy? Can you actually change stuff with enough hard work, or does it basically not care?

That's the thing though, isn't it? No one person is enough to effect significant change on a galactic or even regional scale. The review hit it right on the nose -- it's an escapist fantasy which doesn't make itself so by trying to get the player to suspend disbelief. It's the sort of game which promotes RP by giving you the tools to create your own story, rather than handing you a script and saying, "Right, then, you're the super savior of everything," which I think ultimately promotes a greater degree of investment -- you're always going to be more interested in a character you can identify with, and your character in E:D is basically you... in SPAAAAACE.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2015, 10:42:27 am »

Thanks for the response FD. I guess my questions was if the game mechanics allow for enough change to really keep things interesting. Like for instance, could you destroy a space station, which would then be gone for good? Could you destroy a pirate base which would then keep pirates out of that area for a while?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2015, 01:03:38 pm »

There's... no way to destroy stations that I'm aware of, and pirate bases aren't really a thing. It's much more on the level of individual ships -- if you hang about a low security blasting pirates for a couple weeks, more traders and miners will be able to move through or use that system. If a whole conglomerate of players take over a couple systems, they can suppress pirate activity and bring in their own bulk traders and miners to exploit the newly-safe opportunity, possible continuing to prey on NPC and unaffiliated player ships with their own fighters.

Personally, I enjoy smuggling. Coming into a station with a hold full of stolen or illegal cargo, running dark to avoid scans, timing it so that you scrap through the sensor net and land before your ship is heavily damaged by the heat buildup... that's one of the best thrills I've ever had. Even mining asteroids is remarkably soothing, hunting around until you find a good one, checking your list for in-demand minerals, keeping your lasers on target at an angle that'll keep the cast-off minerals from rocketing off into space, lining up your scoop runs, dodging pirates on your way to sell...

You can also have fun just doing straight trade runs. I found a good four-system route that netted good profit, ran it until I had enough to start buying a more expensive product and upgrade my ship &c... and usually every run I'd have to dodge pirate interdictors once or twice. Exploring, though, once you get the cash to outfit a ship properly... hoo boy.

That's the long and the short of it. It's a story about the player and their ship. If you can find pleasure in that... that's what the series has always been about. It's not EVE Online, because it's not that top-down and impersonal.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2015, 06:05:27 pm »

I got E:D when it released the ""1.0"" version and played a few hours. I got underwhelmed by the weird, manual FTL and no autopilot (auto-jump). Poor traders.

But it is the best space combat experience I ever had, and every landing feels awesome to me.
It was the first game I actually played with a joystick and felt really badass on my viper by doing so.
As someone said here: it feels stunning, amazing and polished in many, many moments.

I was getting hunted by some dude back when I was playing, which pissed me off since he had a 100% top-tier Viper and could kill me in 8 seconds.
Just because I was bounty hunting in the same system as him. Go figure.

I stopped playing due to the boring FTL/Alone in the Universe/Weird AI/Half-Made feeling of the game.
Not trying to hate on it really, because I love the combat, flight model, cockpits, and everything non-mechanic/non-feature related.
I DO think the things that made me take a long break are on their list of things to change and overhaul, though. And there might have been updates since I 'left'.

Anyways, if I get on it I'll totally want to join some space dwarves. Playing alone can make you feel empty inside after a few hours, exactly like it should.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 06:11:26 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2015, 05:29:19 am »

If a whole conglomerate of players take over a couple systems, they can suppress pirate activity and bring in their own bulk traders and miners to exploit the newly-safe opportunity, possible continuing to prey on NPC and unaffiliated player ships with their own fighters.

The player base doesn't affect commodity prices (not that commodities have any real purpose). When you "suppress" pirates, all that''s happening is that there are enough players to kill the ones that will automatically spawn no matter how unwelcoming you make the system for them. Combat aside, it's a single-player game even when you're playing it with other people, there's a veneer of cause and effect, but it's just smoke and mirrors. Perhaps that'll change in time.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2015, 05:56:52 am »

If a whole conglomerate of players take over a couple systems, they can suppress pirate activity and bring in their own bulk traders and miners to exploit the newly-safe opportunity, possible continuing to prey on NPC and unaffiliated player ships with their own fighters.

The player base doesn't affect commodity prices (not that commodities have any real purpose). When you "suppress" pirates, all that''s happening is that there are enough players to kill the ones that will automatically spawn no matter how unwelcoming you make the system for them. Combat aside, it's a single-player game even when you're playing it with other people, there's a veneer of cause and effect, but it's just smoke and mirrors. Perhaps that'll change in time.
If players didn't affect the pricing then my trade routes wouldn't become unprofitable after 10 or so runs of me supplying huge amounts of the goods they need. The price absolutely changes due to player actions.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2015, 09:57:41 pm »

I've made it to Pand after some 25 jumps and finally using a fuel scoop for the first time.
Got ~200k worth out of bounties rather quickly after wasting ~10k for repairs due to me forgetting how to play, how to pilot, how to anything really.

I think when I played, Strong Signal Sources weren't implemented. My guess is that they are random events for wings of players?
I jumped in one to investigate, and there was some gold lying around which didn't interest me since there's no Black Market in range of my very short-ranged and rather derpy Viper.
Then I proceeded to check the System Map to get to know the place, only to get jumped on by 6-7 Vultures which took my hull down to 30% before I could say "I'm dumb."
Somehow I managed to escape that, and later escaped an Anaconda which I failed to fight against since I'm fighting worse than before.
Still, no deaths and I made a profit.

Now, I'm going to try Cargo Scanners. I didn't know they inflict bounties on ships that get caught with illegal goods..and man, there's a LOT of illegal good flying around Pang.
Most people I kill drop some rather good stuff. I'm hoping it will multiply my profits.

Edit: Just confirmed on wiki Cargo Scans inflict bounty on NPCs. I'm so dumb and didn't know about this. I feel excited - I will now be triple as annoying to the NPCs!
I'm going to murder this whole system since all npcs look like smugglers to me.

Edit2: Damn Wikis! From what I could gather, Cargo Scans might inflight Fines, not Bounties. Therefore, I have no idea if it really does inflict fines on NPCs, but if it does..the NPC would have vanished/despawned long before the fines turned into actual bounties.
And if the NPC was wanted, I'd have killed him anyway. Better have a Shield Booster or FSD Wake Scanner Instead.  :P

In other note: Yay for Grade A Thrusters. I was getting outplayed by Pythons, and Anacondas with Grade C. Now I outmaneuver Eagles.
The probable reason for me feeling like a noob is that I got too heavy and my maneuverability was getting worse than what I was used to.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 11:41:04 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2015, 06:12:01 pm »

orokudumbla is anarchy currently until we flip it so no bounties there, different in pand however

www.pci.freeforums.net for our group if any elite gamers on bay 12 wish to join what is becoming one of the elite D bay 12 groups.

government is important for a lot of gameplay aspects but if we change from aanarchy to corporate which pci is then everyone has to be alert but its all good we get better missions this way to

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2015, 02:01:52 pm »

Yesterday I bumped into ollobrains in a Pand neighboring system. We had a full combat wing getting bounties left and right.
First time I play with other people and join a wing, and it can be pretty fun. The game just feels great and immersive with the comms panel HUD. I also finished kitting out my Viper and will start saving up for a Vulture, I think.

If anyone wants to add me, IGN is Gabeux too. I'll be pushing PCI's influence over the region by doing combat missions and murdering as many ships as I can. I really want the Civil War breaking in Oro system (the actual name is too weird for me to remember, it's the system we're expanding PCI influence in), it might happen in a few days if the influence trend keeps as good as it is.

Frontier got a lot of potential on this game. I just wish they made Supercruise less boring and have some autopilot for jumping. Then I'd be enjoying the game in general way more, and would try my hand on trading.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2015, 07:00:31 pm »

Ollobrains, I've added you as a friend. And I will add others here too. I am CMDR Elsior.

I'm going to get the D-fitted Asp first before venturing into Pand. Currently in a A-fitted Type 6 with 96t of cargo and 20LY laden jump range. I will buy a B-fitted Cobra to compliment it.

Fly safe in the meantime. o7
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2015, 04:15:53 am »

Elsior, I -think- I succesfully added you. I had to make a jump while I was really drunk since no one on PCI bothered to take a screenshot of Orokumbsomething current influence levels.

In a second thought..................... These influence levels won't change for another 20 hours, and I could have just went to sleep -.-

And yeah, I'm still drunk.

I almost boosted to death in Sagriamento station (PCI home base) though, so that was fun and a good way to know I should never, ever play this game in the state I'm in right now.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2015, 06:15:27 am »

I added ollobrains and elsior, looking to get back into this soon
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23