Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: This game is too addicting  (Read 2477 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: This game is too addicting
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 08:05:37 pm »

This is the kind of videogame I wanted to play back when I was still a naive young lad, a game where you could do anything at all and the game would have a proper reaction ready. There aren't any invisible walls, it never says "You can't do this because it's just a videogame". It flows and moves on it's own without your input: dwarves form friendships, rivalries, get depressed, hate vermin and love minerals for their (x). And I know DF still isn't quite there yet, but for the first time in a really long time I feel like I'm playing a game without limits.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 08:32:14 pm »

The reason I keep playing this game is because there isn't some arbitrary goal that is being forced upon you (apart from surviving), nor is there a measure of your success (apart from surviving). The goal is what you want it to be, and the measure of your success is how much fun you had. It is also challenging enough for it not to be a purely mindless activity. While you play, you are solving problems, imagining and THINKING. This need to think and imagine is something that seems to be absent from many games today.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 09:40:58 pm »

"I need glazed jugs"

Make rock or wood jugs, and you don't have to glaze them.

And yes, that is my only contribution to this thread.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

SeymoreGlass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 11:33:50 pm »

I literally can't think of any other games I've played in the past... year... maybe? I talk with friends about recently released videogames, and those old nastaolgic ones we grew up with, but it's all from memory or vicariously experienced through online testimonies.

This... this is all I've done...

I'ma go outside now.

EDIT

That didn't work so well. The sunlight just made me vomit a lot.
The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration (waiting on someone to sig that)

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 10:35:08 am »

You play for a little, look at the time and its been six hours  :P
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 03:24:43 pm »

You play for a little, look at the time and its been six hours  :P

This. When the addiction is strongest.
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 04:18:17 pm »

Too bad I have a sudden urge to restart forts when I lose some dwarves something didn't work out as planned.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 05:58:42 pm »

I haven't played in a few months. Still on the forum every day. I have a save with a current version where 7 of the migrants are necromancers. So far 4 arrived. I just had the idea of using them to run an asylum for insane dwarves. I need to figure out mine carts to do all this.

I think dwarf fortress is a game I don't need to play to keep thinking about it obsessively, and it scares me a little.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 10:46:23 am »

The reason I keep playing this game is because there isn't some arbitrary goal that is being forced upon you (apart from surviving), nor is there a measure of your success (apart from surviving). The goal is what you want it to be, and the measure of your success is how much fun you had. It is also challenging enough for it not to be a purely mindless activity. While you play, you are solving problems, imagining and THINKING. This need to think and imagine is something that seems to be absent from many games today.

This ^

Mainstream games are now all about always having someone in your back or over a radio telling you where to go and what to do. If you die you'll just automatically restart the battle, and you have heal regen and a squad or a party to hold your hand.

pfft

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 10:52:00 am »

You won't develop any physical problems from it

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 11:05:32 am »

Not at all.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:21:12 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nymall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 11:44:19 am »

I love this game because it's the ONLY game I can feel good about walking away from, and I routinely leave my fortresses running all day(I'm a stay at home dad right now) as I deal with children, cooking, cleaning, etc. Though it gets a bit depressing when you're so set up that your fortress doesn't need you any more. :'(
Pages: 1 [2]