Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: This game is too addicting  (Read 2485 times)

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
This game is too addicting
« on: November 06, 2012, 03:01:44 am »

I like how this is the only game I keep coming back to after months of not playing it. I just felt like implying that because it's the only game that managed to do that to me. Praising it for its replay value. Knowing that, I know I won't ever be tired of it since there is so many ways to play. Anyone else knows of any other games that does that effect?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 03:04:30 am by Lexyvil »
My post ends here.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This game is too addicting
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 03:05:37 am »

Dwarf fortress is like air. Once you are addicted you can't stop.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 04:11:11 am »

I played aggressively and intensively for about a month.  Then xcom hit, then I updated my commuter, now I'm not playing.

Need a break.  I have some manuscripts to write!

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 04:15:39 am »

Game is quite addicting, yes.

On the downside, when you play it for too long while you're still not that great at the game, your brain gets fried. Case in point: Reason for my current downtime tonight.

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 08:00:55 am »

On the downside, when you play it for too long while you're still not that great at the game, your brain gets fried. Case in point: Reason for my current downtime tonight.

It is a very difficult game to master. I always lose focus and get headaches trying to deal with a fort. After about 10 years, I have so many half started projects/areas that I just forgot about.

Case in point: "I want to make honey" became "I need glazed jugs" became "I need a clay industry" became "I need a fuel industry" became "It'd be easier with magma", became "Oh I found candy looking for magma" became "I should train some dwarfs as I breached all the caverns and start a metal industry for the candy".

I still have 9 Bee hives just sat doing nothing ( My beekeeper must be very bored *check hive*, yup that's bees *walks away*), some collected clay just wasting space in a stockpile, two wood burners that have never been used, a klin that I never used...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:47:39 am by Dwarfotaur »

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 08:15:27 am »

It is a very difficult game to master. I always lose focus and get headaches trying to deal with a fort. After about 10 years, I have so many half started projects/areas that I just forgot about.

Case in point: "I want to make honey" became "I need glazed jugs" became "I need a clay industry" became "I need a fuel industry" became "It'd be easier with magma", became "Oh I found candy looking for magma" became "I should train some dwarfs as I breached all the caverns and start a metal industry for the candy".

I still have 9 Bee hives just sat doing nothing ( My beekeeper must be very bored *check hive*, yup that's be's *walks away*), some collected clay just wasting space in a stockpile, two wood burners that have never been used, a klin that I never used...

:D :D :D That's so true, I keep getting sidetracked! I does tries to keep a list somewhere to review if I'm trying something specific and tick it off.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 08:37:24 am »

I've played ultima online flsince it came out, something like fifteen years now.

I like dwarf fortress more.

I spent over a week bashing my brain against all kinds of stuff that I was way out of my depth on in attempts to play DF on my smartphone.

My fortress resides on a flash drive that is ALWAYS upon my person.
I back this flash drive up twice daily with triple redundancy.

I think I might have a problem.
But at least I quit smoking.
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 09:15:10 am »

Ultima Online! That is truly the game that tops all others. I seriously spent months just mining in it. Well actually I spent about 5 years with a miner as my main character. I wish they'd bring back mmo's like that.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 11:43:10 am »

5 years? Don't want it to sound too harsh, but that's one sad life.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 01:58:27 pm »

Dwarf fortress is like air. Once you are addicted you can't stop.
Air and you're underwater.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 02:02:38 pm »

5 years? Don't want it to sound too harsh, but that's one sad life.

You clearly never played UO then. That game was a masterpiece. Before all the crappy expansions that added unnecessary complexity, anyway. The split between Trammel and Felluca murdered UO sure as a bullet to the head
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 04:15:08 pm »

To be honest, I'm quite happy that my laptop died recently, so I actually don't even play it anymore while being at work.

And at home I removed it, so, currently, I'm pretty 'clean', but not sure if this will change as soon as the next release is released.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 07:13:08 pm »

I've played ultima online flsince it came out, something like fifteen years now.

I like dwarf fortress more.

I spent over a week bashing my brain against all kinds of stuff that I was way out of my depth on in attempts to play DF on my smartphone.

My fortress resides on a flash drive that is ALWAYS upon my person.
I back this flash drive up twice daily with triple redundancy.

I think I might have a problem.
But at least I quit smoking.
I'd take Dwarf Fortress over smoking. You won't develop any physical problems from it, only mental ones. You know, things like an unusual admiration for doors, tables, and socks. Also a penchant for mad science.

To be honest, I'm quite happy that my laptop died recently, so I actually don't even play it anymore while being at work.

And at home I removed it, so, currently, I'm pretty 'clean', but not sure if this will change as soon as the next release is released.
If you're still posting here, you're very much subconsciously attached. See you next release!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 07:38:35 pm »

The computer strikes the cold turkey in the head with it's masterwork game, and the head flies off in an arc.
Terko cancels cancel playing DF: too addicted
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 07:52:14 pm »

I think this game gave me carpal tunnel. Booo

play through the pain?

I haven't actually played "properly" in a while, though I am always lurking the forum and the main site for news on the next update and how things are going, so whent here's new news I nearly always am squeeeing, (even though I'm not actively playing) I know as soon as the next update hits I'll be back playing this game like lighting. ELF HOMES, OTHER DWARF HOMES. OMG. TREES. TREEEEES. ok I'm done......... TREES!.......

Also I will often head toward playing mods like masterwork after the vanilla game has worn out a little. Then I switch back, repeat cycle.

Finally back to the main point. Yes, this game is too addictive.
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears
Pages: [1] 2