Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to move seed barrell from a food stockpile to a custom seed stockpile?  (Read 453 times)

doctoxic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My Dwarf leader is some sort of idiot and has built his farms a bit too far away from his dining room and food stockpile.  He has a barrel of seeds in a food stockpile but even though he has created a "custom seed stockpile" near his farms his insubordinate dwarflings refuse to move the damn things. As a result its impractical to farm as the seed barrel is too far away :(

Is there a way to move the seed barrel from a food stockpile to a custom seed stockpile in a different location?

many thanks

doc

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile
Re: How to move seed barrell from a food stockpile to a custom seed stockpile?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 05:11:53 pm »

make your 'food' stockpile a custom stockpile allowing all food except seeds.
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 05:13:07 pm »

Turn off seed on your main food stockpile. If you've disabled the barrel on the other stockpile and turned off seed on all of the food stockpile, and it don't work, you can dump the seed out, then reclaim it.

doctoxic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 01:12:48 am »

thanks guys -  will try that

how do you dump seeds out of barrels - only this seems like a good idea as i think i am getting messages about no seeds being available when i actually have loads but i think i saw something about a bug whereby dwarfs carry the whole barrel around to collect seeds (or something) so that its not available for others for planting?????

jams

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 04:21:49 am »

What works for me pretty well is having at least 4 food stockpiles.  I build all as food, then customize them.

1) Food - forbid seeds, plants and drinks
2) Drinks - block all food, then permit drinks only
3) Seeds - this goes near the farms, block all, then permit seeds only
4) Plants - I like it organized so I get one for plants only too, near both the kitchen and still.

Another thing I have found quite useful is the "Take from stockpile" order (q -> s on a stockpile, then t, then point on the target stockpile and enter).  For example I let my main food stockpile accept fat and tallow as the butcher is usually close to it.  Then on the floor where my Ashery is, I build another small food stockpile that accepts only globs (too lazy to set it up accept only tallow) and set it to take from my main stockpile. I also put a Kitchen there (to render the fat that ends up there).  As this stockpile is far away from my main kitchen, I usually have safe stock of tallow there to serve for soap production when needed - without too much micro.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 05:04:26 am »

thanks guys -  will try that

how do you dump seeds out of barrels - only this seems like a good idea as i think i am getting messages about no seeds being available when i actually have loads but i think i saw something about a bug whereby dwarfs carry the whole barrel around to collect seeds (or something) so that its not available for others for planting?????

It's not really a bug, more of misappointed priority. They picks up bins and barrels to collect things because the game's usually expecting a few hauling job with those things.

You can do it from stock screen in z, or you can, I believe, k over the barrel, hit enter, then try to dump from there. I usually uses the stock screens because things gets everywhere :D