Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Battlefield 1942 - Now free on Origin!  (Read 3084 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Battlefied 1942 - Now free on Origin!
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 04:23:39 pm »

Uh you mean BF2 had the unlock system first..

Dagnabbit, I knew I was forgetting something.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 05:22:20 pm »

For some reasone I always forget 2 was first...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 05:24:29 pm »

If it were free on Steam or GoG, or XBox Live, then I'd consider downloading... wait... Battlefied? What is this Battlefied of which you speak? Fie!

Anyways, I won't touch Origin. I even go so far as to only play Origin-only games on XBox 360 to avoid having to install it, and EA DRM games as well for the most part.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 05:43:19 pm »

I must be lucky or something. I have had origin installed since b3 came out and my house has not burned down yet! No yeti attacks either...

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 05:46:12 pm »

If it were free on Steam or GoG, or XBox Live, then I'd consider downloading... wait... Battlefied? What is this Battlefied of which you speak? Fie!

Anyways, I won't touch Origin. I even go so far as to only play Origin-only games on XBox 360 to avoid having to install it, and EA DRM games as well for the most part.

And you did a wise choice.
Installing and getting BF2142 to work was a royal pain. It required 3 non automatic patches (you could TRY installing them on auto but it wouldn't work) installed in the RIGHT order (it would let you install them in the wrong order but the game wouldn't run afterwards and you'd have to reinstall the game to try again).

And to top it off after several months of hiatus i decided to have a break... and forgot the password.
No problem you say?
Well the password recovery e-mail that i requested NEVER came.

So yeah...
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 1942 - Now free on Origin!
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 07:56:46 pm »

I loved BF 2142. Too bad I was young and dumb impatient and got it on EA download manager, the incredibly crap predecessor to Origin. Also too bad that it ceased to exist and that the game was hell to get running. It was also incredibly unstable and would crash at the drop of a hat.

I still loved it though.

Maybe I'll try out 1942, I never got to play multiplayer in that since I never owned it.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 09:08:56 pm »

The mod you want for BF '42: Forgotten Hope.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 12:43:38 am »

...I guess I'm in the minority here. I pre-ordered BF 2142, and strongly disliked it. Titans were outright broken (move the Titan, everyone on the server starts lagging) and fundamentally un-fun to fight in (four narrow corridors that can each be attacked from only one direction). Mechs were alright, but not particularly interesting. The weapons were mostly rehashes of BF2.

Fun story: I recently had an internship at a AAA game development studio. One day, while feeling stupid, I made a snide comment about BF 2142 to a couple of the other developers.
Turns out one of them was a former DICE employee, who had worked extensively on 2142. :o
His excuse for the game, which admittedly was quite true, was "engine limitations from BF2". If you've ever tried to stand on top of a BF2 tank (or a BF2142 tank, for that matter), you'll understand why Titans were so problematic, engine-wise.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 01:05:31 am »

I don't seem to be able to download the game from my region. Way to go Origin

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 05:19:25 am »

Unbelievable, it works in Australia.

Perhaps EA, much like some of the other big publishers have done with steam, forgot to push the big red "Fuck your country" button that most big publishers seem to have.

Either way it has been a long time since I have played it, so yay free game.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 09:16:42 am »

The narrow corridor problem was partially solved by shield overloading (you could destroy consoles 1 and 2 by shooting AT weapons on shields that close the way to consoles 3 and 4).

Also i don't remember lagging to hell... i did have framerate drops tho but that's only when all 64 players sat on the titan attacking/defending by grenade spamming while the titan slowly goes to hell anyway because noone cares about caping the silos.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 09:42:40 am »

My Response to anything to do with Origin...

"@#$% you Origin, Change one thing on my PC and you forget me ever owning Battlefield 3, #!@# that in buying it again..."
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 09:49:54 am »

Yay BF!
Nay Origin!

I'd get it just for the music, because man dat music.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 09:52:15 am »

Hey, I lost one of my Sims3 cd keys, and since I had registered them online before, they threw all of them on origin for me.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2012, 12:56:53 pm »

Shame on me I guess. Decided to download this jewel to relive my past, thinking, hey, what could possibly go wrong? :-[
Apparently Origin doesn't like my computer, and I can't log in, due to the "You must be online the first time you log in" error from hell.

NINJAEDIT: Well, the last time before I went to uninstall, it works. Really EA? Psychic much?
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.
Pages: 1 [2] 3