Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: jobs: workshops: laborers ratio  (Read 856 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
jobs: workshops: laborers ratio
« on: November 04, 2012, 12:11:01 pm »

how do others optimize this?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: jobs: workshops: laborers ratio
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 12:23:03 pm »

I usually have rule of thumb of 3 laborers to 2 workshop ratio, or roughly 25 tiles of farm for plump helmet and pigtail to 40 tiles of farm for everything else per farmer with minimum of 2. Those' from experience and observation to account for non-working activities, but not the peak.

Though it's not always appliable since some workshops don't runs very often, so I'll have a few dwarf either multi-jobbed between them or disassembly the extra workshops.

You know you're running an optimized fort when your workshops are constantly in use as demands comes, without too much excess dwarves assigned, with overhead for break, sleep and other things. And all of your dwarves are specialized to the job as you can get them to be, up to point of having haulers dedicated to single hauling job. Though that means you either have very small overhead for mass dumping and hauling job due to everyone extra being in the military, or you have a lot of idlers which some players don't likes.

Having workshops that have related material or feedstocks next to each other without using stockpile ( Such as Loom > Dyer > Clothier and order set to only use dyed cloths ) allow much reduced hauling demands, as long as it's not spoilable material.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 01:25:15 pm »

i find my mason jobs stack up real quick and they exceed supply of workshops

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 02:20:07 pm »

Build more workshops then, and set it so only high skilled dwarves may use them. Use the other dwarves as haulers, construction workers and block builders.

I usually do a 3 to 2 ratio as well for both my workshops as well as my industries. So I'm producing 3 pig tails in the time it takes to make 2 cloths. 3 cloths in the time it takes to make 2 items of clothing. This way none of my dwarves are ever idle and I can mass draft my peasants without damaging my flow of supply for at least a year.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 02:58:20 pm »

Well, if your job needs is bigger than you're willing to wait, then build more workshop, assign more dwarves to work on it. Either that or lower the demand for it so it fits what you have. Masonery job for me is pretty much surge demand or building walls and floors, so I don't have many of the workshops, usually one or two for block making, but sometimes a lot of mason-enabled dwarves to build timely.

Hmm, I wonder how fun it'd be to play a Soviet-style fortress with unreliable quotas to meet :D

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 03:13:34 pm »

Well, if your job needs is bigger than you're willing to wait, then build more workshop, assign more dwarves to work on it. Either that or lower the demand for it so it fits what you have. Masonery job for me is pretty much surge demand or building walls and floors, so I don't have many of the workshops, usually one or two for block making, but sometimes a lot of mason-enabled dwarves to build timely.

Hmm, I wonder how fun it'd be to play a Soviet-style fortress with unreliable quotas to meet :D

Don't kill your nobles and find out :)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 03:16:23 pm »

Don't kill your nobles and find out :)

That's pretty boring, and pretty routine. Also, their quotas are so tiny that it take just a moment of time! I suppose it could be an community game idea.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 03:50:28 pm »

To delve in a bit deeper I think you need to look at the labour pool as well.  Say you have a fortress of 140 dwarves. Much of what you are doing besides keeping them alive is having them produce something and staying active. Let's say you make 40 of them full time warriors. That leaves you with 100 left to deal with. Let's say 20 are assigned to farming and basic hauling. That leaves you with 80 to deal with. You need to produce 100 pieces of clothing in a year. You need to produce roughly 50 pieces of armour as well. To give your dwarves adequate amounts of furniture you must produce 50 of which 10 are wood and the rest is stone. You also need to make pots and valuable s for trade.

So to  make that 100 pieces of clothing you need about 3 dwarves spinning thread into cloth. You need 2 to dye all that cloth and then you have about 1 or 2 to make the clothing. So that industry takes 6-8 dwarves without counting the input materials.

To make 50 pieces of armour and arms you need 150 bars of metal. Which requires about 4-5 dwarves who forge bars. You then want 3 smiths who each have their own forge to make what they are good at. Lets say that you don't have a magma forge. So for each bar of metal you need 2 logs to make. Which requires another 4-5 wood burners which is about 300 trees you need each year.  So all in all maybe 15 dwarves needed to produce that.

You also need alcohol and food. 3 brewers, 2 cooks, 2-3 pot makers.

You have 2 wood cutters. 3 carpenters. 6 miners. 5 doctors.

So how many dwarves is that?  About 50-60 can be used like that if you have the base materials to keep it running. Which leaves you with well over 20 dwarves who would be idle.

So you should have more then enough masons to do your job.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 03:59:37 pm »

To delve in a bit deeper I think you need to look at the labour pool as well.  Say you have a fortress of 140 dwarves. Much of what you are doing besides keeping them alive is having them produce something and staying active. Let's say you make 40 of them full time warriors. That leaves you with 100 left to deal with. Let's say 20 are assigned to farming and basic hauling. That leaves you with 80 to deal with. You need to produce 100 pieces of clothing in a year. You need to produce roughly 50 pieces of armour as well. To give your dwarves adequate amounts of furniture you must produce 50 of which 10 are wood and the rest is stone. You also need to make pots and valuable s for trade.

So to  make that 100 pieces of clothing you need about 3 dwarves spinning thread into cloth. You need 2 to dye all that cloth and then you have about 1 or 2 to make the clothing. So that industry takes 6-8 dwarves without counting the input materials.

To make 50 pieces of armour and arms you need 150 bars of metal. Which requires about 4-5 dwarves who forge bars. You then want 3 smiths who each have their own forge to make what they are good at. Lets say that you don't have a magma forge. So for each bar of metal you need 2 logs to make. Which requires another 4-5 wood burners which is about 300 trees you need each year.  So all in all maybe 15 dwarves needed to produce that.

You also need alcohol and food. 3 brewers, 2 cooks, 2-3 pot makers.

You have 2 wood cutters. 3 carpenters. 6 miners. 5 doctors.

So how many dwarves is that?  About 50-60 can be used like that if you have the base materials to keep it running. Which leaves you with well over 20 dwarves who would be idle.

So you should have more then enough masons to do your job.

I'd note, you could have much less dwarves for smithy and furnishing-making, since those tend to be done over life of fortress, rather than all at once. Being hard and undecaying goods, too. However, it's good that you does notes and explain about the labor pool and necessarities! I tend to include those in my resources and demands respectively to simplify things.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 04:22:29 pm »

Well to outfit your dwarves you need 280 pieces of armour. (If you count boots and gauntlets as 2 for 1) You want all of that to be at least exceptional or above. Since you're unlikely to make proper armour from the beginning lets say that you make 2 sets of armour for 1 decent set. So now you need 550+ pieces of armour (this also helps when you need to draft new recruits as you have left over armour. Since you will have 140 dwarves by the end of year 5. If you are going at this pace from year 1  you won't have enough armour until year 11. That doesn't take into account of prouduction delays and that you need to make weapons as well, additionally you may switch materials half way through from copper to iron or from iron to steel. In which case even at the pace of 150 bars if metal and 300 pieces of charcoal a year it will take 15-20 years to produce enough to equip your army.

Also some of those jobs are hauling related to that industry.