Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rampant interbreeding?  (Read 3319 times)

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rampant interbreeding?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 11:23:28 pm »

I made a small world with many semi- and megabeasts.  With enough time the dwarves should be wiped out, then you'll only have to worry about the hardcoded waves (and yes, those first two are hardcoded).

Of course I wasn't trying for invaders or traders with that world.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 11:34:26 pm »

I doubt it'll work. I once made a small world with 4000 megabeasts and the dwarves still thrived. It'll be much easier for you just to change the population cap.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 02:16:35 am »

I saw something in a thread earlier (I forget where) that said someone was looking through Legends and noticed that there was a very 'unique' family tree. One in which a dwarf's wife was also his cousin, his other cousin was also his uncle, stuff like that.

That got me thinking, how feasible would it be to somehow switch off migrant waves and start a fortress, with the only population increase coming from your original seven dwarves interbreeding?

I tried something like this by just constructing a wall in the entry passage after my original 7 and all their stuff were inside.  Let the migrants pile up and die of thirst/starvation/enemies outside.  Eventually the original 7 and descendants died of angry ghosts.

It could work, but you might want to leave a mason's workshop and pick, or carpenter's workshop and axe, outside the sealed fortress.  Make wood or stone coffins and have each migrant wave that gets stuck outside bury the last one.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 03:44:42 am »

I doubt it'll work. I once made a small world with 4000 megabeasts and the dwarves still thrived. It'll be much easier for you just to change the population cap.
Well, did you lower the megabeast's attack requirement? Like changing the minimum population requirement from 80 (or so) to 8 and lowering the wealth requirement will probably get you better results.

AmpsterMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 12:56:16 pm »

To op: I've fine a no migrant fort before. They are quite fun, but require you to play differently. It is extremely slow to get anything done, your wealth can rapidly outgrow your ability to defend it and you have to be very focused on what you produce. Labor is very expensive to come by, so labor intensive activities should be minimized (seed hauling, stone hauling, etc) You have to be very focused on what you make and what you do and at first you cannot really focus your labor much.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 12:59:38 pm »

I've done a few fortresses like this before, though you'll always get the first two migrant wave, AFAIK.

It's pretty good education for labor path and working on cutting down overhead requirements :D

Of course you get a bit trap-dependant that way and occasionally overmechanize the fortress once you get some spare mechanics around.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 02:26:52 pm »

I've got a fort running right now that is getting no migrants and no merchants (from any civ). I do have 18 towers nearby, so I get plenty of company.

In 50 years or so I expect I will have enough dwarves to field a proper military.

Until then, it's all parties and baby-making.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 03:21:55 pm »

Just wait until one of your dwarves dies and all their siblings, uncles, cousins, grandparents and their pet piglets get upset in the same time. That is the downside of everyone being related to eachother.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist
Pages: 1 [2]