Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF: Tony Hawk Edition  (Read 1118 times)

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF: Tony Hawk Edition
« on: November 03, 2012, 09:55:47 am »

Alright, well I just discovered something great, and thought I would share so that other people could try it out. 

• make a fort in a [GOOD] biome, near a civ
  • produce many ☼feather wood minecart☼
  • produce suits of armor
  • abandon fort
  • come back on adventurer and obtain these things

What you now have is a skateboarding dwarf.  The especially neat thing about the feather wood is that its so light your adventurer can carry the thing all over the world with very little movement penalty, and that if you just keep pushing the cart whenever the dialog box comes up you can manage to get up to some crazy speeds just out in the flat (no tracks needed). 

Be advised a suit of armor (or at the very least a helmet) are needed since you WILL be hitting some obstacles and be sent flailing through the air, and armor helps reduce injuries. 

Now time for me to load this thing up with the contents of a mason's shop and push it through a market >:D
where is up?

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
Re: DF: Tony Hawk Edition
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 10:10:39 am »

but the question is: Will it kickflip?

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 10:27:11 am »

Can you just embark with a suit of armour and some minecarts? Any fortress developed enough to have a great carpenter and capable of making more armour than it needs is a shame to abandon :U
My wooden badge was delicious.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 10:42:13 am »

If we're making a dwarven skateboard, then should a fort also be dedicated to becoming a skatepark for it too?

Bonus points if you can replicate any of the THPS levels/skate parks. We need tons of rails and verts, and hope to Armok the dwarf has sufficient skills in skating.

Alternatively, we can also make Arena Mode be a skate park as well, if possible. All that's good to ride is the pyramid on the upper-left quadrant of the arena, and that's a short ride. Plus, if you're making a skate park, it wouldn't hurt to have a few of those cart booster things (the ramp trick, not the actual boosters, unless they still don't require power to work) used for some repeater systems to work as a good drop-in for some places.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:45:15 am by Itnetlolor »

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 02:03:39 pm »

Actually after reflection I suspect that it would actually be better to have a low quality minecart, since I don't think the quality affects the speed calculations, but I DO suspect that it affects the chance-to-hit calculations. 

I've been successfully crippling yaks, but have gotten unlucky a couple times (savescumming in the name of !!SCIENCE!! to see how far I can push it).  Most notably a yak attacked me while a zoomed by and my character dodged very badly and at high speed off a precipice and into the valley floor in the most lethal of ways. 

You can push off in multiple directions so your heading can be adjusted as you slide around to some degree.  Also I've noted that if you see an upcoming collision you can backpedal to reduce your momentum and prevent being thrown in the air and breaking all your limbs.  Sorta flinstones style I guess? 

Going downhill works well, but it seems that non-track ramps don't work at all for going uphill, so I think a skatepark is indeed in order. 
where is up?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 04:36:49 pm »

DF as a skate park, and skating, simulator.  Oh my, what the future of this awesome game holds :D  +10 creativity points to you, OP!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.