Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Happenings in my Fort  (Read 1172 times)

BeenCarl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • American Society for Velociraptor Attack Protection
Strange Happenings in my Fort
« on: November 03, 2012, 08:34:07 am »

So lately I have been having fey moods galore, but No one claims any workshops. It seems that No one has any happiness or insanity consequences. Is this a bug or am I possibly doing something wrong?

Also on another strange note I have had babies dehydrating in mass swaths. I don't think I have had a single baby survive so far. I have ample amounts of booze even bought milk, but they should at least drink water, right?
It's like fighting goblins with lye, and winning.
Velociraptor season is here.
Are you prepared?
http://www.velociraptors.info/

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Happenings in my Fort
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 08:45:19 am »

Have you built every workshops avaliable for each skill? Might be there're no craftdwaf shop if they're peasant.

And babies only dehydrates if they can't get with their mother, have their mother been in jail. I've heard that dwarves riding minecarts will drop babies too.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 11:19:38 am »

So lately I have been having fey moods galore, but No one claims any workshops. It seems that No one has any happiness or insanity consequences. Is this a bug or am I possibly doing something wrong?

Also on another strange note I have had babies dehydrating in mass swaths. I don't think I have had a single baby survive so far. I have ample amounts of booze even bought milk, but they should at least drink water, right?

That sounds like a bug. A dwarf that can claim no workshop should eventually go bonkers. The masses of babies dying could be explained. If their mothers are eternally waiting for a fey mood workshop, and not dying, they will not pick up and feed their babies. I think I also remember that, once a mother is struck with a fey mood, she drops her baby.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 01:04:02 pm »

In the case of a fell mood the mother kills her chiled and turns it into a pickaxe.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

BeenCarl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • American Society for Velociraptor Attack Protection
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 02:51:21 pm »

I am certain I have all the shops craftdwarf shop, mason, the forge, carpentry shop, even bowyers shop and leather works. I have seen a couple fey moods actually completed their artifact, but hopefully these few new babies actually survive.
It's like fighting goblins with lye, and winning.
Velociraptor season is here.
Are you prepared?
http://www.velociraptors.info/

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 03:11:58 pm »

I am certain I have all the shops craftdwarf shop, mason, the forge, carpentry shop, even bowyers shop and leather works. I have seen a couple fey moods actually completed their artifact, but hopefully these few new babies actually survive.

Mechanics? Clothier's? Kiln? Glass furnace?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 03:43:33 pm »

Far as I've seen and heard from others, you can only have one mood at a time (fey or otherwise).  Moods end in an artifact or death.  If you can see more than one dwarf at a time that's got the 'strange mood' task, or if your game is clearly defying this pattern, I'd say upload the save, cause that's some interesting things happening there!

Are you playing the normal game, or is it modded in any way?

Edited to add, I've never had an issue with babies having hunger or thirst, let alone dying within their mother's care, when the mother's alive and able to drink herself, as you reported you were having trouble with here and in another thread.  Care to upload your save to the repository so those of us who are curious can peek?  http://dffd.wimbli.com/
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 03:46:48 pm by Imp »
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 06:56:35 am »

Dwarf Therapist (should you use it) shows what skill the mood is about, then you can check for available (accessible) workshops.
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 10:23:19 am »

If you type showmood in dfhack it shows you everything you need to know about the mood. It sometimes helps if the dwarves are asking for something and there is no way to tell what it is. Ex:Perhaps they like gold, but the bars they specifically want arent gold bars at all. It also shows the workshop.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...