Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Need help designing anti-Republican religious tracts  (Read 4011 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Need help designing anti-Republican religious tracts
« on: November 01, 2012, 10:29:00 pm »

So with the US presidential election coming up and a lot of Christian religious groups urging their members to support Romney because he's Pro-Life and a homophobe it occurred to me that they shouldn't be the only ones who get to abuse out-of-context bible quotes for political gain. That's unfair!

So what I want to do is - by this coming Sunday (the last one before the election) - put together a bunch of anti-Romney pamphlets based on the multitude of Bible verses bashing the rich, and then go around to nearby churches and stick them on people's windshields while they're at mass (and get people in other areas to do the same). The problem is that I don't have many ideas for specific designs and concepts and the main idea that I do have is derailed by my inability to draw or to edit photos, so I need your ideas and I need your help.

My main idea is to take this bible verse:

"19 Jesus said, "There was a certain rich man, who was clothed in purple and fine linen, and feasted sumptuously every day: 20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, who was laid at his gate, full of sores, 21 And longed to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. 22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; 23 And in hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and seeing Abraham far off, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. 25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that you in your lifetime received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and you are tormented. 26 And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they who would pass from here to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from there."" Luke 16:19-26

and illustrate it depicting Mitt Romney as the rich man. But I'm shit at drawing. Can somebody draw this for me?

We could also probably do something with any of the following passages:

Spoiler: Bible Passages (click to show/hide)

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:05:11 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need help designing anti-Republican religious tracts
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 11:33:21 am »

Ok, I've put the text for another basic tract together, but I need somebody to format it and illustrate it:

EDIT:
Actually, I suppose this is probably fine without the illustrations (the one in the topic post still does though. Could somebody please help with that?).

Do you think it gets the point across though? If you don't please tell me and suggest improvements, if you don't then just paste it into OpenOffice (or whatever), print it out and distribute it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 11:46:12 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 11:53:09 am »

I would if I could, man.
Love, scriver~

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 12:07:07 pm »

bro i hate to break this to you but the black guy is wealthy too

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 12:20:52 pm »

It's not so much about wealth, more about wealthy people refusing to help the poor.

Trying to make a decent quality pamphlet like two days before the sunday before the election ends is pretty... procrastinatious timing.  I'd say your heart is in the right place but it's in the wrong time.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 12:26:42 pm »

Its your opinion that the rich have an *obligation* to help the poor?

Anywho Obama is doing a decent job advertising EVERYWHERE.  He says things that are 'comforting' and 'progressive', at least when I've seen it.  He appeals to many, and the idea should be more getting the poor to vote than bashing Romney.  IMHO.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 12:38:50 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 01:13:59 pm »

His opinion doesn't matter.  Christians who support Rugged IndividualistsTM like Romney are being hypocritical.  They might be able to dodge by saying charity is a voluntary personal thing but hahahaha yeah right we know you're not giving them shit.

And yeah, it would be nice if candidates only advertised their own qualities, but if one guy's bashing and you're just correcting him, you're patching holes in a sinking ship and he's just gonna punch more.  So unless you make it illegal to talk about the other guy which would be pretty ridiculous it's just natural that, if either candidates goes offensive they both have to.
Shoes...

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 01:56:48 pm »

bro i hate to break this to you but the black guy is wealthy too

He's rich, but not Mitt Romney rich

If elected Romney would rank among richest presidents ever

EDIT:
IDEA! I should try to find a way to work in that image!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 02:03:52 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 02:30:32 pm »

EDIT:
Actually, I suppose this is probably fine without the illustrations (the one in the topic post still does though. Could somebody please help with that?).

Do you think it gets the point across though? If you don't please tell me and suggest improvements, if you don't then just paste it into OpenOffice (or whatever), print it out and distribute it.
I like this.

It's actually very on-point, and hits hard with those who actually understand their own scripture. I actually stole your entire spoiler and put it on my Facebook, for some friends and supporters of his who I know are bible thumpers.

I'd help; but my recollection of the Old T is foggy at best.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 02:32:10 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 02:38:40 pm »

The best way to format the chapter-verse structure when you are referencing verses is to look at how many verses you are using, and dash in between.

Instead of:

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’

41“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

(Matthew 25:34-46)

Make it:

(Matthew 25:34-46) “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

“He will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Verse quotation on top with all the individual numbers removed. For copyright and denominational issues you should also cite which version of the bible you are using at the end or beginning or as a disclaimer. Most versions allow you to quote up to 25% of an entire book of the bible for non-commercial use without getting express permission so long as they are cited in the credits.

If you are using only part of a long verse, it's standard procedure to use letters to signify the section you're using.

Example:

(Matthew 25:41-43) “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

(Matthew 25:41b) Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

(Matthew 25:43a) I was a stranger and you did not invite me in [...]

(Matthew 25:46) “Then they will go away to eternal punishment [...] eternal life.”

Those are all examples of proper formatting for this sort of thing. It makes it look like you actually know what you're talking about when you use the standards set by the people who do this very often.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 02:57:13 pm »

On a separate note, and so a separate post:

Matthew 18:21-35 (HCSB)

Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how many times could my brother sin against me and I forgive him? As many as seven times?”

“I tell you, not as many as seven,” Jesus said to him, “but 70 times seven. For this reason, the kingdom of heaven can be compared to a king who wanted to settle accounts with his slaves. When he began to settle accounts, one who owed 10,000 talents was brought before him. Since he had no way to pay it back, his master commanded that he, his wife, his children, and everything he had be sold to pay the debt.

“At this, the slave fell facedown before him and said, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay you everything!’ Then the master of that slave had compassion, released him, and forgave him the loan.

“But that slave went out and found one of his fellow slaves who owed him 100 denarii. He grabbed him, started choking him, and said, ‘Pay what you owe!’

“At this, his fellow slave fell down and began begging him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay you back.’ But he wasn’t willing. On the contrary, he went and threw him into prison until he could pay what was owed. When the other slaves saw what had taken place, they were deeply distressed and went and reported to their master everything that had happened.

“Then, after he had summoned him, his master said to him, ‘You wicked slave! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me. Shouldn’t you also have had mercy on your fellow slave, as I had mercy on you?’ And his master got angry and handed him over to the jailers to be tortured until he could pay everything that was owed. So My heavenly Father will also do to you if each of you does not forgive his brother from his heart.”

10,000 talents comes out to about 60,000,000 denarii, with a denarii roughly equal to a day's wage for the average worker.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 12:10:08 pm »

Here's another one

If elected to office, Mitt Romney would cut social welfare programs for the poor to pay for 
tax cuts for the wealthiest 1% of Americans

----------------------------------------------

Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?
But you have despised the poor! Is it not the rich who oppress you and persecute you?
(James 2:5-6)

[/quote]
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:12:49 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 12:16:08 pm »

10,000 talents comes out to about 60,000,000 denarii, with a denarii roughly equal to a day's wage for the average worker.
I think the real moral here is not to loan 60,000,000 denarii to your slaves in the first place.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: [1] 2 3