Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Heads are too fragile  (Read 5497 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Heads are too fragile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 08:52:37 pm »

I think that nonlethal brain damage and negative effects of shattered skulls should both be implemented.

I've seen claims that you can bruise brains in DF without killing the victim, but I've never seen it so it must be extraordinarily rare if it does happen.  I'd love to see it though.  Perhaps some permanent effects like occasional blackouts or the like.  Shattered skulls should matter too, and right now while I suspect they contribute pain they really ought to contribute to recovery complications.

Having said all of that, I'm aware of at least one mod where someone did try to improve realism here by breaking the break apart into several parts.  I think there were three parts, of which only one had the thought tag.  This reduced fatalaties since there were other parts of the brain that could be injured, and all brain injuries bled heavily and didn't heal.  The amusing part however was an attempt to put [STANCE] on a brain part to simulate the cerebellum.  While it could cause dwarves to fall over if it was injured, they also insisted on attempting to wear socks and shoes on their brain.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 09:00:59 pm »

That's hilarious. Next version, they'll leave cerebellum marks in the ground, too.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 09:31:50 pm »

"Urist, why are you mashing your head on the ground every four feet?"

"der'z a brayen in ma shoo!" *smash*

I'd like to see an improvement on how head injuries work, as well. I have personally, as an adventurer, taken brain damage without immediately dying, but it is extremely rare, yes. I actually recieved it from a ride on a minecart I'd found in a castle and decided I must ride across town :P

It definitely shouldn't be so easy to smash through the skull and shred the brain; the skull is pretty damn tough, and many of the objects DF is hitting it with are too soft to really use as a weapon anyway (trousers and socks, for example) I'd support making it much tougher, and bran-related death more dependent on exactly what damage was caused. Splitting the skull open would no doubt cause eventual death in a medieval society, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 10:33:00 pm »

Barring swift magical healing or mad !!science!!, of course.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

5asdffdsa5

• Bay Watcher
  • that's no space station its a moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 11:12:05 am »

then again in a medieval setting you wouldn't last long with any sort of permanent injury.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 11:26:57 am »

then again in a medieval setting you wouldn't last long with any sort of permanent injury.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6tz_von_Berlichingen
Granted, relatively a nobleman, but the technology's of roughly near DF era. And probably fairly easily within reach of dwarves, if they're arsed to try!

Of course with how often infection can take lives of our dwarves, it's pretty realistic for medieval time, if a bit less dangerous with childrearing :D

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 03:33:16 am »

There shlould be blood vessels and nerves (to represent the meninges) in the skull. As it is now, a hammering in the face is either
instanly letal or utterly harmless.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 08:24:27 am »

I'm not sure what nerves would do for the skull, since they just cause either numbness or loss of control of a limb.  You can't really control your skull anyway...

Blood vessels would make more sense though.  The face, scalp and skull all bleed pretty profusely when injured.  That would be one way to make head hits more dangerous without making the skull as fragile as styrofoam.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 06:28:46 pm »

Well, you can control your mandible...

But yeah, skull arteries.
Sig

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 09:58:51 pm »

I believe Syrupleaf was the only time I've heard of a creature surviving brain impairement. Even then, he was a migrant, so he didn't directly sustain the injury.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 11:10:41 pm »

Dwarves always have impaired brains!

...What do you mean, he didn't directly sustain the injury?
Sig

Auroros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 09:12:09 am »

I think too that the Brain/head should be able to take more. I mean, I can Scratch in the head and it Jams the skull (!) and tears the brain apart (!!).

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 10:06:17 am »

I think Toady actually responded to specifically that in his radio interview (probably where you got it from).  That's more a bug in the way that the game treats attacks, since it puts far too much force behind the blow and effectively converts it into a keratin spear with a tiny contact area.  Thus easy penetration.

It's probably the same reason that hooved animals are so deadly.  Getting kicked in the head by a horse can certainly kill you or cause permanent injury, but it's extremely common in DF.  Supposedly the attack puts most of the horse's mass behind the kick, which isn't quite accurate.

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 12:25:10 pm »

It's probably the same reason that hooved animals are so deadly.  Getting kicked in the head by a horse can certainly kill you or cause permanent injury, but it's extremely common in DF.  Supposedly the attack puts most of the horse's mass behind the kick, which isn't quite accurate.

More accurate then you might think. A kicking horse loses balance, tipping over for a moment and putting the downward force of gravity forward. Cloven animals are extremely dangerous that way.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 01:54:08 pm »

Another weakness is that the damage simulation doesn't do punching through the skull.

It weakens weapons that use peircing blunt edges like the Halberd (Including the fact that the brain is immune to blunt force trauma so to speak)
Pages: 1 [2] 3