Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help speeding up DF  (Read 1314 times)

gamewizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need help speeding up DF
« on: November 01, 2012, 05:04:10 pm »

I am having issues getting my some what big and successful fortress running on my old ass IBM think pad t42 with a Pentium m at 1.7 GHz anyway i could speed up DF i haven't played in months because of this  :'(
any ideas

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Need help speeding up DF
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 05:07:32 pm »

There're not much you can do, outside of limiting how much accessible space your dwarves can wander through, using traffic designation carefully, and having a few material around as possible.

Using an utility to clean up junk materials and the dead list could help with that too. I don't know which, specificly, but someone should answer that!

And maybe transferring it to better computer you can get your hand on, which's pretty surefire way to go, but not always avaliable understandably!

ed: Forget to say, kill all the animals you don't care about helps too!

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 05:10:38 pm »

I feel your pain, man. My previous computer went for 9 years before I got my latest one, and for the longest time I was running DF with only 2x2 embarks and a pop. cap of 50. Hang in there, the PC Fairy will visit you soon enough. You'll feel better once you boot up DF on your shiny new Core i7 and it STILL lags like nobody's business.  :)
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

gamewizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 05:21:48 pm »

@automatakittay already did that  ;D still slow
 also i should be getting a major upgrade from this ancient fucker to a quad core beast of a laptop  :D
this is only for a few more months with this pos laptop also this fortress is one of my first and most successful fortresses i have done yet nearly 200 dorfs bought ready to appoint a king  ;D

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 02:50:27 am »

Remember that RAM and CPU are what you need for DF. More than two cores is generally pointless for a DF oriented computer, as the game isn't multithreaded. One core for DF and one for everything else.

You want the most powerful CPU and as much RAM as you can get, and an SSD probably couldn't hurt either.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 06:45:55 am »

You'll feel better once you boot up DF on your shiny new Core i7 and it STILL lags like nobody's business.  :)

This. At pop 160, my FPS is down to about 50 (/24GFPS) on a 6x6 embark, on my shiny new i7. At around 120 dwarves I noticed that my FPS started falling below my set max (72).
But it still is soooo much better than running 50 dwarves at 10 FPS on a 2x2 embark.

Oh, btw Azated, how can I make sure that one core is used only by DF's exe? Do I have to manually set affinities to another core for ALL running processes via the (Win7) task manager, or is there an easier way to force other programs not to use the core I assign to DF?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:52:23 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 06:57:44 am »

You could try running with the "Accelerated DF" mod.  It removes a bunch of stuff that slows the game down.  It's recently been combined with the "Modest Mod", that includes various bugfixes as well:

Accelerated DF merged with Modest Mod - Bugfixes, Balancing and FPS
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 09:19:55 am »

You'll feel better once you boot up DF on your shiny new Core i7 and it STILL lags like nobody's business.  :)

This. At pop 160, my FPS is down to about 50 (/24GFPS) on a 6x6 embark, on my shiny new i7. At around 120 dwarves I noticed that my FPS started falling below my set max (72).
But it still is soooo much better than running 50 dwarves at 10 FPS on a 2x2 embark.

Oh, btw Azated, how can I make sure that one core is used only by DF's exe? Do I have to manually set affinities to another core for ALL running processes via the (Win7) task manager, or is there an easier way to force other programs not to use the core I assign to DF?

I'm pretty sure there's no actual need for that. In general, your computer spreads out it's commands to limit overheating. As long as your CPU useage is below 100%(on all cores) you won't see a benefit. Contrary to popular belief, DF is capable of using multiple cores, just not at the same time.

noobnubcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Clumsy Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 12:00:48 am »

Whenever I overestimate my computer's processing power it seems to run lag free.
I don't think it is possible for a laptop with a 1.99 GHz dual core processor and 1.37 GB ram
to be able to play the FPS "Combat Arms" but it somehow can.

To this day the elven warrior castes hunt the enemies of nature for the purpouse of bringing back slain intelligent beings for consumption by their leaders and generals, for the good of nature and the survival of elvenkind.

And that is the story of how napalm was invented.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 08:21:56 pm »

You could try running with the "Accelerated DF" mod.  It removes a bunch of stuff that slows the game down.  It's recently been combined with the "Modest Mod", that includes various bugfixes as well:

Accelerated DF merged with Modest Mod - Bugfixes, Balancing and FPS

I second that. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

§¢ǿŗÞﵧ

• Bay Watcher
  • Terrible coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 10:08:27 pm »

here do this:

go to your main Dwarf fortress folder and open up the data folder.

open the init folder

open the init text file

scroll down untill you find [PRINT_MODE:2D]

and change it to [PRINT_MODE:STANDARD]

hope this helps

:)

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 11:15:09 am »

In d_init.txt set
Code: [Select]
[TEMPERATURE:NO]Doubled the fps on my old computer before I upgraded.  Of course, nothing will burn or freeze.  But I wasn't burning or freezing stuff anyway.

And, oddly enough, magma forges still work.  But dragons now breath clouds of friendship instead of fire.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 11:58:35 am »

In d_init.txt set
Code: [Select]
[TEMPERATURE:NO]Doubled the fps on my old computer before I upgraded.  Of course, nothing will burn or freeze.  But I wasn't burning or freezing stuff anyway.

And, oddly enough, magma forges still work.  But dragons now breath clouds of friendship instead of fire.
Obsidian farms get a bit glitchy with heat with that off. But I think it's only really an issue in current version DF for pathing and whichever ones that'd melt your fat off in hot rain. Not much trouble otherwise though :D

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 01:10:50 pm »

You might want to check out the Maximizing Framerate page on the wiki.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.