Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A small piece of info just changed my life.  (Read 6786 times)

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
A small piece of info just changed my life.
« on: November 01, 2012, 10:05:20 am »

In a YouTube comment I witnessed something amazing that changed everything. Stone blocks can make walls. Now it may not sound like much but for a wall fanatic like me this is amazing. First, one stone makes multiple stone blocks. Two, they are much lighter and three, you don't get "rough" stone walls with them.

I thought I would share that with others, has there been a small fact or piece of info that changed your life?

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A small piece of info just changed my life.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 10:11:45 am »

"Changed my life" is a little extreme for a game... Anyway,
For sparring in the military, you can, for example, have a squad of 5 dwarves and give two "train 2" orders to increase sparring.
Rather than "train 4" or dividing into smaller squads.

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 10:26:15 am »

Most new players never enter the 'nobles' screen.

You can manually appoint a book keeper (will give you a numerical breakdown of -everything- you have in your fortress) and a manager (allows you to use the manager tab, probably one of the strongest tools in the game).

With a manager you can just open it up, say "construct 20 beds" and the dwarfs will figure the rest out. Provided they have the materials. It's especially useful as it has a search bar so you don't have to find your workshop, press q, dig through the menu, find the item and select it. The manager will also load balance between all workshops/available dwarves.

Captain Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 12:58:54 pm »

One time freshman year of college I found out I had a paper due the next day of a book I hadn't even opened. That changed that semester a bit.

As far as dwarfy things go, probably the usefulness of traps. Specifically cage traps.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 02:37:21 pm »

Danger rooms.
Magma forge + magma smelter + giant steel axe blade = great times.
Custom professions in Dwarf Therapist.
Multi-leveled channeled trap mazes are great.
Four 11x11 rooms set on the corners of a 3x3 central staircase is better than five 11x11 rooms set in a cross shape, which is better than expanding hallways.
Gold crafts make the game so much easier.

Still waiting for the info that will make me save a standard uniform and reuse it in different fortresses.
And for a way to set a military-only clothes stockpile to outfit them with cloaks etc; barring that, an actual effective way to compare fully armored + fully clothed dwarves to fully armored dwarves.
And advice on how to manage fast production of effective traps while setting up the food industry and the bedrooms. I'll probably settle for dormitories.
And advice on hospital managing.
And advice on civilian-to-military ratio.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 06:03:24 pm »

You can designate by left-clicking with the mouse. You can designate across z levels. You can hit enter, right-click somewhere else and hit enter again and the game will designate the distance in between,
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Shash The Stampede

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Typhoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 06:22:19 pm »

Discovering this thread after digging down 85 levels in fruitless search of a cavern.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=93694.0

It was 20 levels down. Funnily enough my central staircase missed it by three squares on that level.

That and mass designations.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 06:39:29 pm »

Discovering mass dump designations after playing DF for a year.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 06:49:40 pm »

1. 'D' button shows you wagon accessability. I found that kinda fast, but before that, understanding why wagons always bypass my fortress was pain in the ass

2. When choosing item, you can e'x'pand list to choose by quality.

3. If you left bedroom unassigned, one homeless dwarf will claim it. Yes, it took me 3 years to find out that I do not have to manually assign dwarves to bedrooms.

4. You can grow on sandy cavern floor. Before I found that one, I used to always irigate my farms with a complex floodgates/aqueducts system.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 06:53:43 pm »

4. You can grow on sandy cavern floor. Before I found that one, I used to always irigate my farms with a complex floodgates/aqueducts system.
To be fair, underground farming was broken for most of 31., needing to be flooded before farming. I don't know when that changed.

On-topic, learning that bone bolts will kill almost anything if you have enough of them, given enough time :D

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 06:59:03 pm »

Learning the beauty of a weaponsmith who loves steel. Masterworks everywhere!

Nostril actor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 08:10:42 pm »

"Changed my life" is a little extreme for a game... Anyway,
For sparring in the military, you can, for example, have a squad of 5 dwarves and give two "train 2" orders to increase sparring.
Rather than "train 4" or dividing into smaller squads.

Wait, I always divide into squads of 2, how can you set it so each pair of the 10 dwarves spar?
"Let me out! Let me out! Let me out!"
"Stay in there 'til ye rot, vampire scum!"
"Let me- Asvirgrail, Asvirgrail, Asvrigrail...! I NEED STONE! I NEED METAL! I NEED SHELLS!"
"Wait, what? 'Asvirgrail?' Ye mean ye've got a plan?! Well why didn't ye say so! Quick now, gimme the keys! HEAR THAT LADS, VAMPIRE'S GOT A PLAN!"
"A plan you say?! 'a's wonderful! Let 'im out, gotta see what 'e's gonna make!"

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 08:12:09 pm »

Issue your squads multiple instances of sparring training in their schedule, each instance set to minimum 2 dorfs.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 09:57:27 pm »

Issue your squads multiple instances of sparring training in their schedule, each instance set to minimum 2 dorfs.
Thank you =):::::
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 06:35:33 am »

On-topic, learning that bone bolts will kill almost anything if you have enough of them, given enough time :D
For the record, while that's true, they rapidly become less effective against full suits of metal armor.  Using pretty much any metal (except candy) makes more effective bolts than bone bolts for both damage and penetration. (source)
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
Pages: [1] 2 3