Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ability to ACTUALLY throw creatures around  (Read 1055 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Ability to ACTUALLY throw creatures around
« on: November 01, 2012, 09:45:14 am »

While in most cases one wouldn't be strong enough to throw a dragon into a wall, you can do it with corpses - why should only the (un)dead have the fun of it?
Make it so that...

When one is wrestling someone else, the creature wrestled is counted as a "held item" that appears in the throwing menu and Fun stuff can be done with it.
While it's a very much adv. mode idea, dorfs could also make use of it in Fortress mode, although to a MUCH lesser extent (they don't really wrestle a lot to begin with), but hey...

There are more insane things that could happen in the game, right?
And what's a more badass way to assassinate a king by hiding in his cabinet and throwing him out of the window into...Armok knows where, really, aside from his own death, that is.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Ability to ACTUALLY throw creatures around
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 10:05:25 am »

I imagine expanding the wrestling menu to use anything held for any purpose has been talked about. Something about grabbing somebodies intestines and using them to choke someone to death.

Basically you touched upon our wrestling dreams.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 10:05:42 am »

I'm pretty sure I've seen my dwarves being hurtled into a wall by trolls and such while wrestling, so I suppose this is in.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 10:28:15 am »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 07:45:01 pm »

Actually, it's an extension of wrestling throws which actually hurls little critters bodily.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 10:15:37 am »

I'm pretty sure I've seen my dwarves being hurtled into a wall by trolls and such while wrestling, so I suppose this is in.
Throwing is in, but it's uncontrollable up to the point that it is possible to throw a creature into yourself. Being able to set the general direction of a throw, with a rate of success dependent on skill, via the wrestling menu would be great.
 I believe it is planned, and dragging/carrying wrestled creatures around too.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 11:37:38 am »

I would imagine the best way to handle this would be to grab them by the torso or leg, hoist them up (requiring a good deal of strength, or you outweighing the target) onto your back and then hurling them bodily like a thrown object, with a targeting cursor. You'd need to do a separate wrestling action to prepare them as a thrown item, but once they're up there, all they can do is struggle vainly and probably helplessly as you toss them into their companions.

Of course, regular throws from locks and the like should probably have a bit of directionality added to them too. It would be nice if you could choose where the target landed and whether you wanted to continue into a lock or throw and then release them as an instant action (which is coming up, Toady's working on it), using their momentum against them to send them flying past you and prone while you deal with their buddies.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 05:55:07 pm »

This just makes me feel its going to end up like the old dwarf fortress with the wrestlers of doom. Funny, but i dont think toady will ever let wrestlers get that strong again.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 06:49:47 pm »

As stated above, you can throw creatures with wrestling throws but they have to be small and even then its pretty buggy and inconsistent (for example, for whatever reason the throwing option is sometimes absent from the wrestling interface when it wasn't previously while wrestling the same creature)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 12:47:58 am »

This just makes me feel its going to end up like the old dwarf fortress with the wrestlers of doom. Funny, but i dont think toady will ever let wrestlers get that strong again.

Not with the new combat system. If not in the next update, than in future ones. You will be able to get attacks of opportunity off at people that attack you - if someone tries to grapple you and you have a sword in a guarded position, I imagine you would be able to lunge forward into their attack and hit them before they reach grappling range. In real fighting that's pretty much what you do when you have a longer weapon. If they rush in, chop into their head.

Any kind of unarmed fighter has a poor range, so generally he will be at a disavantage until he can close. However, once things _have_ closed, grappling becomes a big part of real life wrestling. Countergrapples too -  I study Kunst des Fechtens in real life, and oftentimes the best response to someone who's trying to get close is to run INTO them, grab their leg and upend them behind you, for example.

It shouldn't be that easy to grab onto someone - there should be some tactics in doing so - but once you do have them secured, you should be able to do all sorts of interesting things with them. And they should be able to try to do some back!
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 03:32:30 am »

As stated above, you can throw creatures with wrestling throws but they have to be small and even then its pretty buggy and inconsistent (for example, for whatever reason the throwing option is sometimes absent from the wrestling interface when it wasn't previously while wrestling the same creature)
That's because you can only throw creatures that are standing. Prone and flying are immune. I believe it's because it is a "wrestling" type of throw that's intended, where you must use the creatures own momentum to throw it. Controversally to it, though, smaller creatures fly farther when thrown.