Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bay12er's Kickstarter: The Ancients  (Read 1653 times)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12er's Kickstarter: The Ancients
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 06:24:33 am »

One of the first things I do with kickstarters like these (IE ones not done by established companies) is to skip down to the risks and challenges part of the pitch. You can learn a lot about a project by how realistic its creators are about the problems that potentially face them. It's better to be brutally honest here I think, rather than optimistic. Optimism should be for the rest of the pitch.

Do you seriously see no other potential problems with this project beyond you chosing the wrong programmer? No possible feature creep? Nothing in your feature list that may turn out too difficult to impliment? Things taking too long and the project running over-budget? The game sounds fairly complex, have none of your previous programmers had any problems with any of the features?

Also, do you have a timeline for the release of this game? You don't mention anywhere on your plegde, but it shouldn't be too hard to work out. You might want to look into what a programmer would expect to be paid for a job like this, and then decide how much of that £40,000 you're willing to pay them, and figure out how many hours work you can afford. Then you can come up with a timeline for the games release (and ask any potential programmers if that's an achievable goal). Out of curiosity, why are you asking for £40,000 specifically? I know theres a pretty big problem with kickstarters asking for too little, and projects failing because people asked for say 100,000 when they needed 200,000.

It might also be worth getting someone to proof-read this for you before you start advertising it. "I have spent 2 years attempting to get this game made and as a result, I am (possibly psychotically) in requirement for this game to be completed!" Is missing a word or two near as I can tell.

Anyway, that's just some general feedback on your kickstarter. The concept of your game sounds good and I hope you get funded, I'm just a little worried that the pitch you have there will put off potential backers.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12er's Kickstarter: The Ancients
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 02:42:07 pm »

You probably should have had more in your hands before asking for funding. Right now, all you have is an idea and some art. Prepare all the requirements for the game, flesh it out, talk with a programmer about feasibility, time and cost. Right now, you don't have the name in the market, the history or the very well developed idea that would be needed to sell this without even a programmer already on your camp.

You also need to triple check all official releases such as the kickstart page, or, specially if English is not your first Language, get someone else to do it.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.
Pages: 1 [2]