Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Mobile dwarf fortress?  (Read 15720 times)

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
Re: Mobile dwarf fortress?
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2012, 09:41:50 pm »

Again I submit my ncurses related question. I can't get df to run from the terminal either on my computer or from my droid
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2012, 04:08:57 am »

Katwithk, did you change the print mode to TEXT? Chances are, it's still trying to render in 2D Mode.

There's a file at ./df/data/init/init.txt that has a line "[PRINT_MODE:]" with probably something 2D set. You need to change that line so it says "[PRINT_MODE:TEXT]"

If you have already set it to text and it doesn't work, then I have another question. Is your Linux distro 64-bit?

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2012, 06:33:30 am »

Yes I changed it to text mode. Im pretty sure my Ubuntu is 64 bit, but I installed the 32bit libraries as per the wiki's install instructions.
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2012, 07:05:33 am »

Yes I changed it to text mode. Im pretty sure my Ubuntu is 64 bit, but I installed the 32bit libraries as per the wiki's install instructions.

Hmm weird. My server is a clean install of 64-bit Ubuntu Server (so I don't have any UI stuff or any fluff software). I just have OpenSHH and a LAMP setup.

All I did was install DF, edit the file and then ran:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

That got it working with no problems.

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2012, 07:19:52 am »

It runs reasonably well on my netbook, 1.66ghz Intel atom and 2g of ram. Limited population down to 80, atom smash regularly (refuse, old furniture/bad crafts, children...), DF hack cleanups and small embarks all help keep frame rate low.
Generally don't play on it much, just when I'm away from home and crave DF.
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

blaster339

• Bay Watcher
  • Why did the chicken REALLY cross the road?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2013, 04:31:08 am »

I don't see the reason how a tablet canrun DF on a low FPS
I loomed on my laptop and the ram DF uses is about 175mb
A normal or decent tablet has about 600 RAM, and its system uses about 300 so it makes the usable ram to only about 300mb
So with 300mb ram its likely possible to run df since it needs only about 200 or less

Either way, its tablet or samsung galaxy s2 or s3

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2013, 05:50:01 am »

DF is more processor heavy than memory IIRC. Someone with more knoledge than me on tablet processors and heat dissipation could probably expand this more.
This is a blank sig.

saarmae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2013, 10:54:58 am »

DF is more processor heavy than memory IIRC. Someone with more knoledge than me on tablet processors and heat dissipation could probably expand this more.
There's nothing to expand on really. Tablet processors are utter shit and are generally better for threaded programs.

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2013, 10:00:33 pm »

I use Splashtop Remote streamer - It works fine for watching over your dwarves while you do something else, but you can't use it to do any serious playing.
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2013, 10:35:35 pm »

It's very demanding to both, but it's very hard to separate the performance of the two as they're pretty closely related in ways that are far too deep to go into here.  I'm actually not sure if tablets use the same FSB clock rates and memory standards as desktops, but I imagine they use slower clock rates to keep power consumption and heat generation down.

The processor is definitely the larger bottleneck though.  Tablet processors are definitely designed to use less power and run cooler than desktop processors, which does restrict performance.  The architectures are simpler and even for the same clock rate they run slower than a desktop processor.

DF would probably play acceptably for low population forts on a small embark (2x2 maybe, but ideally 1x1), but the memory limit of a tablet plus the processor limitations would mean anything larger may simply fail to work from memory exhaustion or unacceptable performance.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2013, 02:40:39 am »

Has someone tried playing on a tablet to see how it goes?

Naraceaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2013, 12:21:26 am »

Hey guys, not sure whether to make a new thread or put this on the end so if I do this wrong just let me know. I managed to SSH into my home PC over the internet and run DF using an iPod touch and an iPad mini at my friends house (and besides apples free SSH clients being terrible is quite playable). My next step is to go see if I can find an Android tablet with 3G so I can play DF anywhere. Before I do this though I was wondering if anyone had any idea how much bandwidth running DF through an SSH connection would consume; obviously I don't want to pay huge monthly credit bills.

Also if anyone knows of any Android SSH clients that will work very well for this purpose I'd love to know about it.

noxxle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2013, 06:26:43 pm »

Anyone tried DF on a Windows 8 tablet with the intel atom z2760 processor?  These tablets include the Thinkpad Tablet 2, Dell Latitude 10, Asus TF810C, Samsung Ativ 500t and Acer W510.  There are probably others.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2013, 09:50:52 pm »

I don't have a desktop, so I run DF on my laptop.  I get good, strong FPS even with full-sized forts but then when I bought the lappy I knew I was getting a "Desktop Replacement" when I bought it a couple years ago.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2013, 08:34:32 am »

Atom processors will probably give pretty poor performance.  They're designed to be "fast enough" while being more energy efficient.  Fast enough in this case includes running the OS and a web browser, or maybe a video decoder.  Something DF is going to run slowly with a fort of any real size.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]