Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Mobile dwarf fortress?  (Read 15722 times)

Charlylimph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mobile dwarf fortress?
« on: November 01, 2012, 02:19:30 am »

It occurred to me recently that I would buy an tablet device if I could use it to run dwarf fortress.

Has anyone else though about this?

Is it possible?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Mobile dwarf fortress?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 03:08:12 am »

Theoretically, yes, I suppose, if you like playing at 5 FPS.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 04:01:02 am »

I thought of something completely different when I saw the title..  :-\

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 04:08:42 am »

I thought of something completely different when I saw the title..  :-\

I pictured a fortress on a giant mechanical spider and thought, "Please let this be a 'How To' rather than a 'How'." Turns out it was neither :P

I can't stand to play DF on my Netbook so I can't imagine what it'd be like on a tablet/smart phone.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 04:27:34 am »

You can run DF on a Linux desktop and then SSH to it from your tablet. I think I remember a thread from a long time ago of someone who did that.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 04:51:43 am »

I don't think anything portable, outside of high end gaming lappies, are good for DF. Way too much heat generation from pegging a core to 100%, and a lot of them aren't designed to tolerate that much heat. Doing a remote desktop sort of thingybob might work, though, but I'm not familiar with it.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 05:16:44 am »

My 5 year old laptop runs df pretty well using the nanofortress mod to play with only one or two map tiles.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 05:53:23 am »

someone has managed with using their normal pc, but just telnetting/ teamviewing into it.

Then all you need is a keyboard. It works pretty ok.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 05:53:38 am »

You can run DF on a Linux desktop and then SSH to it from your tablet. I think I remember a thread from a long time ago of someone who did that.
This.

If you don't have a linux desktop, you can fake it with VirtualBox on windows.  Which is what I do.
Alternately, some other remote desktop program for windows.  SSH is just nice because of super low bandwidth.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 06:56:37 am »

I need to figure this out too. I've been trying to get it done using dfterm 2.

I recently got myself a smartphone to motivate myself to quit smoking ( been a week! ) and I really wanna DF on it!!

I've had some serious trouble trying to get it to work.

Now I see you saying that if DF is running under Linux, I can just ssh to it without dfterm at all?

Please splain me this, telnet, ssh, and all this similar trickery is entirely new to me.
As are smart phones.
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 07:30:05 am »

You can run Dwarf Fortress directly from the shell application on Linux  (like Terminal on Mac or CMD on windows) . Linux has SSH (Secure Shell) which allows you to access a Linux computer's shell from the internet (provided you have the IP address and a valid username/password). There are smartphone apps that let you use SSH to connect to a computer.

So you install OpenSSH on your phone and computer. Connect to your computer via SSH from your phone, browse to your DF directory and run it. You will now be playing Dwarf Fortress on your phone but all the processing is happening on the computer.

Not sure how you would control DF with a smart phone and I imagine you can't use tilesets this way? Also, I have no idea what the data usage would be. I know shell is simply text but sending frame after frame of dwarf fortress must stack up? Normally you only send some commands and get a blank line/some text back.

Note: I have not tried this is anyway or form. It's pure speculation from my knowledge of Linux but it should work in theory.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 07:33:43 am by Dwarfotaur »

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 07:34:38 am »

Tilesets are a nonissue to me, a working copy of df that will run upon my phone is enough.

A little bit of further inquiry on the matter:

As a linux distro, I assume this works with linux?

And are you willing and able to answer my future dumb questions on this matter?

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 07:42:18 am »

It should work with any distro of Linux and even on Windows if you use VirtualBox.

Like I said, I haven't tried it but I will answer any questions. I'm curious myself as I have a smartphone and a linux server so I will experiment tonight (in approx. 6 hours) to see if I can get it to work. I know how to do it all in theory but the practical side may be more difficult (I hope not).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 07:44:31 am by Dwarfotaur »

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 07:56:08 am »

Pending your !!science!!, my stupid questions commence:

OpenSSH:
 I'm looking at the website, and scratching my head over both it and the installation instructions.
 My, I do have ever so much to learn about all of this.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 07:59:28 am »

Your phone or any modern touchscreen tablet is probably an ARM core, not an x86 or x86-64 chip, and I don't think DF is compiled for ARM, so you'll still have problems.

However, everyone has an SSH app available.  (Mostly, I think...  I know there are plenty for Android and at least one for iOS.)

Sounds like the best option is either dfterm or df on linux + SSH if you're going to go the remote route.

The real issue I find when trying DF on a laptop is the lack of a numpad.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4