Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Natural Selection 2 - It's out!  (Read 3391 times)

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Natural Selection 2 - It's out!
« on: October 31, 2012, 02:22:45 pm »

Link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/4920/?snr=1_5_9__205

Anybody tried it yet?
My finger is hovering over the buy button right now, but i would love some dwarven feedback before I press it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Natural Selection 2 - It's out!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 02:28:41 pm »

Start video.
"A mix of counterstrike and starcraft."
Close video.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 02:30:38 pm »

Played a while myself(two hours). It's definitely fun. I can't really say if it's worth the price tag, since I won it in a giveaway, but I'd definitely look around for more information.

You have to have decent players and a decent commander to win - good players and bad commander, they'll be stuck with few options and they won't be getting resources to buy new stuff. Bad players and good commander, you'll have tons of options that aren't being used by the players and you'll probably lose because they're all massed up in one place despite this being entirely unhelpful.

Or you could play aliens and lose because you will almost never have a team that is coordinated enough to zerg rush effectively.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 02:36:54 pm »

I have buyed it, but cant play it at the moment because of a bug with the pre caching that makes the game crash. They said that they were working at fixing tough.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 02:52:16 pm »

Part of me is really tempted to get this, but I've got so many singleplayer games in my queue to finish.  So many!  If I keep playing multiplayer games I'll never manage to clear it up.

Definitely looks good though.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 03:13:29 pm »

I nearly had a heart attack when Steam's 'Update News' came up with a price tag of $74.99. Probably wasn't smart putting the 4-pack's price on the announcement, guys.  :P

So... now that I know it's a more reasonable $24.99, is it worth getting? I know that's a bit of a vague question, but really: what's the collective opinion of the forum thus far?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 04:47:10 pm »

I enjoyed the first one, but it definitely suffered from the problem where you'd have to have a good team to make it fun. The FPS part wasn't that good that you'd enjoy playing it just for its sake. It's the kind of game that needs a good online community, which rarely actually happens.

I am holding off for a sale probably, but I am hoping for all the best for this game. It's been a looooooooooong time coming!

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 05:07:43 pm »

I've been playing it since beta, and used to play the original mod, so my view probably isn't neutral.

I think its worth the price tag, its as well produced as most A list fps games and delivers on its promise. I agree that you need a good team for it to really fire. So play it a few times before you call judgement.

Marching down a corridor in an Exosuit and blitz krieging a room full of aliens is awesome.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 05:12:52 pm »

This reminds me of Tremulous. Well, at least Tremulous was free.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 05:15:30 pm »

I LOVED the first one, and i think i will be getting this one when i have the money (3rd world problems), its a teambased fps with some sort of rts elements, as they said you need a decent team to fully enjoy the game but being a game that requires some degree of thinking and getting used to the comunity its preatty good in my experience.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 06:14:32 pm »

It's an amazing game. A spiritual successor to my favorite mod ever http://www.planetgloom.com/.

It's a bit rough if you are trying to jump right in instead of watching the tutorial video, so a lot of people are complaining they have no idea what is going on. Similarly, you're going to have a bad time when some noob commander takes control without even the slightest idea what to do.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 06:21:53 pm »

It's an amazing game. A spiritual successor to my favorite mod ever http://www.planetgloom.com/.

It's a bit rough if you are trying to jump right in instead of watching the tutorial video, so a lot of people are complaining they have no idea what is going on. Similarly, you're going to have a bad time when some noob commander takes control without even the slightest idea what to do.

One, that gloom thing has nothing to do with Natural Selection, I'm fairly certain. Natural Selection 2 is, surprisingly, the successor to Natural Selection.

Two, the game isn't really that hard to pick up. The people complaining are the baddies that do not make up a good game, i.e CoD kiddies and the like.

Three, everybody has to learn how to commander at some point. It's just your bad luck that they've had to pick your game to start. And some people like, apparently, myself are just good at commander.

Unless it's aliens. Alien commander is confusing and horrible.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 06:43:31 pm »

One, that gloom thing has nothing to do with Natural Selection, I'm fairly certain. Natural Selection 2 is, surprisingly, the successor to Natural Selection.

Natural Selection, which not surprisingly was influenced by Gloom and from feedback from its ex player base. Played both for years. Both great games, but similarities between the two meant that all us Gloomers were able to jump right in a play NS versions of our favorite classes. It functionally plays out very similar, but with many improvements, which is why most Gloomers just moved on to NS.

Two, the game isn't really that hard to pick up. The people complaining are the baddies that do not make up a good game, i.e CoD kiddies and the like.

True. Unfortunately, there's not much to do about them besides wait until they leave. That's just how launch is going to go. Lots of annoyance until those types of anti-teamwork players leave.

Three, everybody has to learn how to commander at some point.

Everyone needs to learn and everyone has first days, but that's not an excuse to not even try. It's the commanders who don't even have the slightest idea. They've never started singleplayer to check out the interface. They have never played a similar type of game and they don't know how to build even the simplest things like resource towers or upgrades. They won't respond to gentle attempts to steer them in the right direction and they aren't interested in communicating.

You don't sit there reading over upgrades and things for twenty minutes while holding an entire server hostage. Play a few games on the ground before trying to command.

It's just rude and selfish. It would be like showing up first day on your job as bus driver having never driven a bus, never even looked at your route, and now everyone is an hour late because you were too lazy to even attempt to prepare.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 06:52:03 pm »

It's just rude and selfish. It would be like showing up first day on your job as bus driver having never driven a bus, never even looked at your route, and now everyone is an hour late because you were too lazy to even attempt to prepare.

It's like if bus drivers paid to drive the bus for you as a form of entertainment. And they have no real responsibility to you or anyone else on the bus.

Bad commanders is always a problem in a game like this. You can always join another server. Most games get around this by having some form of demotion feature, which if NS2 doesn't have then is pretty badly designed considering how much experience the devs have with this genre. Telling people they're having fun wrong isn't really a solution to the problem.

Demanding people entertain themselves according to your regulations is pretty rude and selfish BTW.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 07:23:50 pm »

Everyone needs to learn and everyone has first days, but that's not an excuse to not even try. It's the commanders who don't even have the slightest idea. They've never started singleplayer to check out the interface. They have never played a similar type of game and they don't know how to build even the simplest things like resource towers or upgrades. They won't respond to gentle attempts to steer them in the right direction and they aren't interested in communicating.

You don't sit there reading over upgrades and things for twenty minutes while holding an entire server hostage. Play a few games on the ground before trying to command.

You take it too seriously. Who cares if you lose? Let the newbie learn how to play the game, thats half the fun. They have no requirement to have checked out the interface, play a similar game, and can't be expected to know how to build resource towers and upgrades. (They should be able to communicate and ask for help though). It is not rude and selfish to learn how to play the game in multiplayer, it is rude and selfish to "expect", almost "require" the player to be able to instantly play the game up to some arbitary set standard in order to not be looked down upon. It is als rude and selfish to expect new players to have some sort of prior experience with the game/similar games, just to bolster your chances of winning. Bus drivers are payed and trained to do their jobs, they are needed for transport and you expect that they can do this when you give them your money. This is not a valid metaphor to use with new players, who are under no such requirements to perform well at their "job".

If you lose, deal with it, it's not the end of the world. You can still have fun.

This is one of the main problems with this type of game, if you can't perform up to the other player's standards they get annoyed and can sometimes be quite discouraging. I would prefer to wait until the player base for the game has shrunk (or if it starts out small), as smaller player bases are usually more welcoming. I don't have any desire to buy a game that will most likely just result in me being unfairly critisized, or even insulted by superior players just because I can't play up to the required level (And I won't be able to, I am generally not very good at "beating" games and have no intention to "practice"). (I use the word unfairly because I can take constructve criticism and advice, and am in fact quite happy to)
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: [1] 2 3