Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Natural Selection 2 - It's out!  (Read 3389 times)

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
Re: Natural Selection 2 - It's out!
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 07:51:30 pm »

You take it too seriously. Who cares if you lose?

Winning isn't the point. Some of the best rounds I've played were not wins. They were fun matches, where both sides at least had a chance and players of any skill could make a contribution to the team. No one really has fun playing matches where one side isn't building or upgrading anything. Plenty of new players will come in, give a legitimate effort of a few games and then abandon the NS2 forever. Who can blame them? If their only perception after playing it was one sided stomp fests where one side (often aliens due to the commander being more complicated) is hopelessly crippled and can't fight back?

It is als rude and selfish to expect new players to have some sort of prior experience with the game/similar games, just to bolster your chances of winning.

Not at all what I was saying. You don't need to play any similar game prior and it's not about winning. This was never about bitching about players that weren't as skilled or as knowledgeable. It's bitching about players that have no prior experience AND didn't look into the role/game beforehand AND don't communicate or accept any sort of advice AND then decide to take on the most complex role in the game. Avoiding any of the in and out of game help/tutorial stuff and then ignoring everyone while you do your thing just means you think your time is more valuable than everyone else's. Go play Starcraft if you want to goof off.

It's like if bus drivers paid to drive the bus for you as a form of entertainment. And they have no real responsibility to you or anyone else on the bus.

That's right! This is a singleplayer game and I should have fun however I want without regard to anyone, but myself. I should grief, cheat, and crash the server, because this is a form of entertainment I paid for. If you don't like my griefing just find another server. /s

By occupying the chair without building or listening to the team they are flat out griefing their team and the enemes (they won't have much fun killing unupgraded players 25 minutes in). There is no kick vote, no commander ejection, or if there is no one knows how to start one and there's no defending the devs on this point.

Demanding people entertain themselves according to your regulations is pretty rude and selfish BTW.

I don't demand people do anything but make an honest effort and not grief the team by being lazy and uncooperative in a role that everyone else depends on. I take it you must not play team games and if you do I sure wouldn't want to be on your team. You seem to be cool with having fun at the expense of teammates, which is a mentality I have never been able to understand.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 07:52:10 pm »

I still dont understand how people get hurt by internet shit talking, so im totaly lost as why some think of not trying a game becouse of it.
There are assholes everyware and instead of hiding from them i think you should learn to deal with them.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 07:57:08 pm »

I still dont understand how people get hurt by internet shit talking, so im totaly lost as why some think of not trying a game becouse of it.
There are assholes everyware and instead of hiding from them i think you should learn to deal with them.

I've actually noticed that the whole community has been fairly supportive, even when newbies join the server specifically not labeled for newbies. No one is raging at each other. What does happen is people try to help out and are often ignored. Then one side either has to give up, fight a boring skulk/unupgraded marine battle, or server hop. All become rather annoying when they happen so frequently.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 09:47:09 pm »

One thing I noticed in the trailer is the melee is a little... bland.  I mean, you click the guys and they die.  I know that's what you do in every game like this, but when I'm a wall-crawling alien in a game full of dark and claustrophobic spaces, I want to fucking gut people, you know?  I know locked animations get a bad rap for a pretty good reason, but they could do something to make it feel a little more visceral.
Shoes...

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 10:01:05 pm »

AVP 2 had some seriously visceral attacks when you were playing as alien. You definitely felt it in that game.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 10:10:39 pm »

Its not getting "hurt" that is the problem, its that the game costs 25$ and it is not a particularly big plus towards spending that sort of money, especially considering that with multiplayer-only games interaction with the online community will generally have some sort of significance to the game experience. However if what Lap says about the community turns out to be mostly true then I will consider buying this game since it does look interesting (plus at the very least modding the game sounds entertaining).

@Lap: The hypothetical person I was referring to was someone that had no idea how to play the game, and was trying out the position completely clueless. It was this quote:

Everyone needs to learn and everyone has first days, but that's not an excuse to not even try. It's the commanders who don't even have the slightest idea. They've never started singleplayer to check out the interface. They have never played a similar type of game and they don't know how to build even the simplest things like resource towers or upgrades. They won't respond to gentle attempts to steer them in the right direction and they aren't interested in communicating.

I interpreted this to mean that people that have no idea, have no experience AND have no interest in communicating are bad. Since anyone who was good/had experience and had no interest in communicating/ignoring people would not belong in this set, I assumed you meant that there was a particular issue with people who just have no experience/idea. My post was about these people. Trolls are Trolls and are no fun, they are intentionally trying to piss people off. The only people I dislike on co-op online games are those who are intentionally trying to ruin the game. (I may have interpred the paragraph incorrectly, however. Lack of sleep can cause the english language to turn all fuzzy)

Was this game not done with the Source Engine? For some reason I was under the impression that it was (it may have been some early news/leak or something ages ago though).
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 10:23:22 pm »

The new players will learn, the COD'ers leave, and bugs will be fixed. There is no need to rush and buy the game now. It is a good game, but it really will only get better with time. A lot of my bitching comes from the fact that for some reason there is no votekick and no commander kick. no one knows how to commander kick. This is very odd considering it is easy to do with a simple Lua script.

Everyone that was a supporter early also got a free copy so it's very likely you could trade someone for their extra copy at less than the list price.

They decided to make their own engine, which is much easier than most FPS's for making levels and is also extremely moddable with Lua.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 04:01:38 pm by Lap »

hillburra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 04:17:24 am »

I've been playing a lot of this game today and whilst the load times on map change are super long and it hates being alt-tabbed (engine problems) the game itself is super fun.

Also there is a commander kick function, hold X and select "Kick Commander" if you can get enough of your team to vote to kick it will eject the commander and not let them sit back in the chair.
'b' is different than 'x' and a Bed doesn't hold back magma as well as a Floodgate no matter how fast you type.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 05:33:48 am »

Start video.
"A mix of counterstrike and starcraft."
Close video.
Worst Comparison of what the game really is...
Just looking at it I see Savage...
What the game is is this.
Two teams, All but one player on each team is playing a FPS style game.
ONE player on each team is playing a RTS style game...

Counterstrike = FPS
Starcraft = RTS (Space theme)

Girlinhat, I suggest you ignore that and watch the rest of the video, the person who made that comment for the video don't know shit...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 04:10:42 pm »

Also there is a commander kick function, hold X and select "Kick Commander" if you can get enough of your team to vote to kick it will eject the commander and not let them sit back in the chair.

Well hot damn, there goes my main complaint. Sure hope we don't need everyone else on the team...someone is always not paying attention. I can't believe I played for like 10 hours straight yesterday and no one knew how to start one, unless there isn't a message when a vote is called. Couldn't find it on the wiki, looked up all the console commands, and didn't see it earlier in that menu (since it doesn't appear in training or until a commander has actually been seated).

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 04:14:12 pm »

I don't have to deal with those assholes in singleplayer games.  ;)

I've gotten to the point where if I can disable chat or voice in multiplayer games I almost always do.  Hearing or reading racial/homophobic slurs constantly really spoils a game for me(Kills immersion too).

----

Out of curiosity, can you specifically choose not to be a commander?  I'm not interested in the RTS bits.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 04:16:12 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 04:51:10 pm »

Commander is opt-in only. This leads to awkward situations where there is no commander because nobody thinks they know the game well enough to do a decent job, or they just don't want to.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 05:40:56 pm »

being marine comm is rather stressful. I did it a few times back when i played ns1, i managed to stear the ship to three wins as comm and lost perhaps a dozen. I've hopped in the comm chair once in ns2 and that game was already lost. I worked out most of the controls whilst doing it and realized that the interface is similar to that of ns1.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 05:54:28 pm »

Last time I played the beta, the balance was awful. You had aliens who could phase, and with a certain combination of bonuses, they could phase around, maul someone, phase out, and regen their health. You could kill tons of people before dieing yourself. IF you died. And then you had the jetpack/grenade launcher combo. If the humans got these, they could fly in a group and blast everything repeatedly.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 06:03:12 pm »

You take it too seriously. Who cares if you lose? Let the newbie learn how to play the game, thats half the fun.

Some people, such as I, enjoy a game when we can play it to our full capability and play it competently.

Losing is fine when it is accompanied by great gameplay. Gameplay where you are constantly thwarted by incompetence you have no control over is not fun if you are a player such as I. It is why many players hate online selection so much they will actually form groups of non-terrible players just to thwart the system.

It is why I stopped playing Monopoly with people. No one takes that game seriously and it is the type of game where it only functions, as a serious game, if everyone takes it seriously as well.

Ultimately this goes into my theory of: Multiplayer sucks

I am developing it.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 06:04:44 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 [2] 3