Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: named weapon  (Read 2671 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
named weapon
« on: October 31, 2012, 10:30:41 am »

Yay! For the first time, ever since it was added to the game, I got this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It was gained exclusively by sparring. The weapon has never made a kill yet.

This means the weapon now gets the same bonuses as an artefact weapon, right? It's description still only says "this is an exceptional steel battleaxe"
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: named weapon
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 10:37:14 am »

I don't think it's got artifact bonus, just that it's loved enough by your dwarf, or famous to be named. I get a lot of them if I forget to unequip wooden crossbow from military dwarves.

It does shows up on artifact list, though in different color.

Urist McKoga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 10:39:52 am »

I don't think it's got artifact bonus, just that it's loved enough by your dwarf, or famous to be named. I get a lot of them if I forget to unequip wooden crossbow from military dwarves.

Can you could post the dwarf who named this? I want know if need a Creative or another Raw skill to get names.

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 10:50:12 am »

Haven't names been in for 1-2 years? I haven't played properly since late 2010/early 2011 and I've had plenty of named weapons.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 11:42:35 am »

You only need a dwarf that has many kills with this weapon, or the weapon itself needs many skills.
In my former fortress, i had 3 melee squads, and each named their weapon after enough time and blood.
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 12:02:17 pm »

I have never had one, and my squads have seen more then enough bloodshed. Hell, some of them are known for only having Forgotten beasts as kills, yet no name.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 12:08:00 pm »

I have never had one, and my squads have seen more then enough bloodshed. Hell, some of them are known for only having Forgotten beasts as kills, yet no name.

Do you frequently toggle your military on/off duty? Are their uniforms set to 'Any <item type here>'? If so, they're most likely equipping different items every time. I always equip my dwarfs manually, giving everyone their own designated piece of equipment for every slot. I think for them to name it, they have to use the same weapon for a long period of time.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 01:14:19 pm »

Quantity over quality.
How many kills? I think mine who named their stuff had 50+ kills with that weapon.
On the other hand, a few named their shields too, so i guess its just a matter of how long they carry it.
That is to say, my elite squad have carried their equipment for the better part of 30 years straight...
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 01:42:29 pm »

I built a popcorn popper training room with seeds yesterday.  After a few minutes anyone who survived named one or more of their armor parts.

Then everyone injured died of infection because I forgot clean water.  Ba-zing!

JimDale

• Bay Watcher
  • Not actually at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 01:43:26 pm »

You only need a dwarf that has many kills with this weapon, or the weapon itself needs many skills.
In my former fortress, i had 3 melee squads, and each named their weapon after enough time and blood.
Not so sure about this, my new militia commander has kills in the hundreds (and 78 of those on his shiny new candy battle axe) but has never named a single weapon he had.

EDIT: Though now that I think about it, he's only had it for a few seasons. Maybe it's due to time in usage?

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 01:54:50 pm »

They seem to grow attached and name weapons/shields quite often for me. Infuriatingly enough, it is always the training equipment I give them in the beginning just to get something they can work with for training. I've seen them grow attached to a towercap shield and copper axe within the first year. If I don't move them to real equipment soon afterwards, it does end up named, and often times without ever seeing any real action or kills.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 02:07:55 pm »

I typically get them in squads where i've combined all the legendary fighters...

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 02:46:06 pm »

I've been wondering about the bonuses too.
There's no way to create artifact weapons in the arena, and testing in-game tends to have many uncontrollable variables, so it's hard to test the effectiveness.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 02:55:00 pm »

i've had several, but as examples, the last 2 had literally 20+ notable kills and 50+++ (think one had 150) "boring" kills such as elk birds/crundles.

Can post you the screenshots if you'd like.

I'd also say i've only had legendaries name weapons.

One last note, i had one bestow a name and it mentioned "after killing forgotten beast "Dead boy", Urist McAwesome has bestowed the name "Massive Sword of Death" to his OSteel War axeO
or something similar. The point was, it named it immediately after a FB kill
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 03:08:36 pm »

Can you could post the dwarf who named this? I want know if need a Creative or another Raw skill to get names.
Okay, sure.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Could it be her great memory? Maybe the average dwarf is too intoxicated to remember how their own axe looks like, and a dwarf requires a great memory to achieve such feat?
Or is it a joke on Toady's behalf, linking weapon naming to liking an equivalent toy weapon?
Or perhaps even, is the does not care about anything anymore feat required? Maybe a dwarf has to lose it's ability to care for the lives of fellow dwarves first, before it can care about a weapon enough to name it?

Oh btw, as mention in my OP, the weapon in question has zero kills, as well as the dwarf naming it. I play with invaders off for now, focussing on building a nice fort. I'll turn them on eventually, but first I need to finish my catacombs. The does not care anymore trait in this dwarf has been gained through watching enough dwarves keel over from old age :D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 03:14:38 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: [1] 2