Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: ASCII vs. Tilesets: Battle of the Century  (Read 16574 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ASCII vs. Tilesets: Battle of the Century
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2012, 08:34:08 pm »

My only gripe about tilesets is that DF is advancing quicker then toady is putting in support for tileset creators. Tilesets are kind of dying, to be honest. We lost at least a few really good tileset creators, and even Mayday is leaning far more on ASCII-esque tilesets.

My gripe about ASCII is that people say to fill it with your imagination. I don't have an imagination, damnit! Sure, I know that g is goblin, ^ is a ramp, etc. but I don't actually make vistas in my mind. It's just a goblin I have yet to assign a kill order to. I'm sure some people have these great imaginations and can take one look at an ASCII Z-level and create worlds in their minds, but that just isn't me. I, for the most part, see what is on the screen and no more.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2012, 04:17:29 am »

I giggled the first time I saw a dwarf pushing around an ascii wheelbarrow. Now I just smile and feel like a lame idiot. But they go so fast! I imagine them making racing noises as they do.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2012, 09:09:22 am »

I giggled the first time I saw a dwarf pushing around an ascii wheelbarrow. Now I just smile and feel like a lame idiot. But they go so fast! I imagine them making racing noises as they do.
UMLAUT ADVENTURES WITH URIST MCHAULER

☺o
"what is this small letter o doing on the ground"
☺O
"let's CAPITALIZE it"
☺Φ
"AND AN UMLAUT, YEAH"
░░░░░░░▒░▒▒▒▓▒▓▓▓☺Φ
"VROOM VROOM!!"
░░░░░░░▒░▒╬▒▓▒▓▓▓☺Φ
"RIGHT THROUGH THAT FORTIFICATION!"
░░░░╬░░▒░▒#▒▒▒▓▓▓☺Φ
"AND THAT GRATE!"
░░░░░░░░▒░▒▒▒▓▓▓▓☺Φ ΡΡΡΡΡΡ
"WAIT"
ΡΡΡ☺ΡΡΡ
"ARGHBLARGBLARGL"
ΡΡΡΡΡΡΡ
"BRAINS"
☻☻☻☻☻ ΡΡΡΡΡΡΡ
"OH DARN IT"
ΡΡΡΡΡΡΡΡΡΡΡΡ
"AHAHAHAHAHAHA"
ΡΡΡΡΡΡΡΡΡΡΡΡ Φ
"WAIT WHAT IS THAT MYSTERY OBJECT HEADING TOWARDS US AT LIGHTSPEED"
ΦΡΡΡΡΡΡΡΡΡΡΡΡ
*THE SOUND OF EVERYTHING BREAKING AND STUFF"
☻☻☻☻☻☺gggggg
"WE HAVE BEEN SAVED BUT UNFORTUNATELY WE ARE ALSO DEAD"
THUS ENDS THE STORY OF THE PHANTOM WHEELBARROW
My wooden badge was delicious.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2012, 12:57:02 pm »

This game is far too complicated for ASCII.  There needs to be much better graphics support, or even better turn DF into a library that someone can wrap graphics around.

I know ASCII is purer, but seriously the number of creatures is insane.  I can't keep track of them all.  And of course the interface is super-clunky and painful to use, definitely a downside for such a complicated game.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 05, 2012, 02:09:00 pm »

Please...
You feeble minded people with your ascii graphics, and tilesets.  I don't even have a monitor plugged in to my PC.  I just connected each pin of the monitor output to a small led.  I've learned to read those pulses, and believe me, it's far superior to your pathetic monitors.

However, I still was annoyed that something was telling me what's happening.  It's all about imagination

Now, I just stay in my bed, and imagine dwarves building a fortress, and fighting goblins.  And there are no bugs!  Kids these days, with your fancy images, and depictions of things...

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2012, 03:32:03 pm »

You can do SMD soldering?!

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2012, 04:33:17 pm »

Please...
You feeble minded people with your ascii graphics, and tilesets.  I don't even have a monitor plugged in to my PC.  I just connected each pin of the monitor output to a small led.  I've learned to read those pulses, and believe me, it's far superior to your pathetic monitors.

However, I still was annoyed that something was telling me what's happening.  It's all about imagination

Now, I just stay in my bed, and imagine dwarves building a fortress, and fighting goblins.  And there are no bugs!  Kids these days, with your fancy images, and depictions of things...

Heh, pretty much this is how tileset users see ASCII users like :P

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2012, 04:33:59 pm »

I don't know what SMD soldering is.... but yes.  With the power of my mighty imagination.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2012, 04:38:44 pm »

Bravo to you. There are people who are puzzled while playing CoD.

FuzzWaddle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2012, 04:58:55 pm »

This discussion will end with these words: Real Dwarves use ASCII

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2012, 05:03:16 pm »

This game is far too complicated for ASCII.  There needs to be much better graphics support, or even better turn DF into a library that someone can wrap graphics around.
No, we need to build a giant dome. And fill this dome with people. Then, we Fortress.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2012, 05:13:28 pm »

I don't know what SMD soldering is.... but yes.  With the power of my mighty imagination.
Well, the pins on the monitor output are close together, so to get the maximum LED density you'd need the little surface-mounted device LEDs, which require tricky soldering techniques.

muzzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 06, 2012, 11:15:01 am »

Well, the pins on the monitor output are close together, so to get the maximum LED density you'd need the little surface-mounted device LEDs, which require tricky soldering techniques.
Or, you know, a bit of wire. Kids these days...

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 06, 2012, 11:17:45 am »

I haven't read any of the posts before this, but CATS ARE KOOL!

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 06, 2012, 12:28:08 pm »

Or, you know, a bit of wire. Kids these days...
I'd like to see someone soldering through-hole LEDs to the laptop output. It would be majickle, not to mention whimsicle and testical.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10