Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recovering from a Flood: Tactics and Advice  (Read 3122 times)

fildred13

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Recovering from a Flood: Tactics and Advice
« on: October 31, 2012, 12:15:11 am »

So I hit an aquifier and had a whole bunch of fun.  :D  Now the question is, how can I have a little less?

I managed to block off the flood to a small portion of my fort, a half-completed living quarters with around 30 rooms carved out.  Unfortunately, that means a lot of supporting walls so I can't manage a massive cave-in to try to plug up the hole.

So what is a dwarf to do?  I have access to the small pool that IS the aquifier from up top, and I can get over top of the flood, too, but I just don't know how to empty out such a huge, complicated area.  Any suggestions?

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: Recovering from a Flood: Tactics and Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 12:29:44 am »

If the flooded area is still directly connected to the aquifer, as in, the aquifer can still pour water into it, it's going to be hard.
Especially so if water is dripping in from the ceiling. You'll need to somehow get a builder in there and seal off the aquifer with constructed walls, but if the aquifer is the ceiling you can't even use pumps as they draw water from the z-level below them.

If it isn't, however, it's relatively simple with pumps, and you just have to find an area open enough to let it evaporate or somewhere to absorb it, something aquifers are ironically quite good at.

If your fort is still in an embryonal state but you managed to create a safe way through the aquifer, I suggest you ignore the flooded  area entirely for now. Dig down a couple more z-level to be sure you're far from it, and develop normally. It's much easier to tackle such a problem with an established fortress and some expendable dwarves.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:31:19 am by wagawaga »

fildred13

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 03:45:53 pm »

I'll have to do some exploratory digging up top... And, yes, my fortress is...infantile.  Yes, no way I can handle this without a metal industry at LEAST.  I will resurrect this thread when my first efforts at flood removal inevitably fail.

Thanks for the response!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 10:47:07 pm »

I'd see if I could make a system to put migrants and/or goblins in the flooded area, but that's about it. I wish my fortresses would have neat disasters that render a portion of them permanently uninhabitable. 
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 11:28:17 pm »

I'd see if I could make a system to put migrants and/or goblins in the flooded area, but that's about it. I wish my fortresses would have neat disasters that render a portion of them permanently uninhabitable. 
Me too.

I would, later on, puncturing le caverns. I don't know or understand aquifers, but assuming the water supply is limited, draining it somewhere else is the easy way.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 11:49:37 pm »

i was about to say "well just build a reactor powered pump stack that pulls water out of the rooms, up a few z levels and then pours it into the aquifer, but that would involve constructing said stack though the aquifer. Instead... import some coal, cut it into coal gems, store them all in a metal bin, then light it on fire and throw it in the flooded area.  the bin will burn for a few years and boil all the water away.   

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 04:36:01 am »

I've channeled out each layer of aquifier from top to bottom once, but that was insane job and pretty much left a mudflat of evaporation zone at first level that didn't had aquifier. Other way I can think of to drain out the flood involves lots and lots of pumps and patience :D

Doesn't really need metal or stone industry for that, outside of mechanisms since I haven't found a way to make wooden one yet.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 04:50:00 am »

I would, later on, puncturing le caverns. I don't know or understand aquifers, but assuming the water supply is limited, draining it somewhere else is the easy way.
Not a safe assumption to make. Aquifers are a boon and a curse as a source of infinite water.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 07:58:20 am »

Another option, since you're underneath the aquifer.

Dig a drain pipe to the edge of the map, but don't connect it to the flooded area.
Smooth and carve fortifications on the edge of the map.
Put a door or bridge attached to a lever somewhere near the start of the pipe so you can turn off the flow.
Dig that last tile connecting the drain to the flooded area.
Wait for flooding to drain out, and hope that it drains faster than it fills.
As each section becomes unflooded, block it off, perhaps with a door.
When you've unflooded as much as you need to unflood, raise the bridge/close the door to turn off the drain and get your FPS back.

Depending on how quickly the aquifer refills the flooded area, you may need multiple drain points.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 08:02:13 am »

Well, first, since the floodwaters are a mixture of rainwater, sewage, oil and general debris you really want to be wearing something waterproof if you have to go out in the floodwater.  Waders at a minimum.

Then, since power is out, remember that food in the fridge will start to go off after about six to ten hours and food in the freezer after about 24 to 48 hours.  So eat up.  Be careful not to go near any downed power lines as they may be live or may be turned on unexpectedly.  I'd suggest shutting off all your breakers except bathroom and/or kitchen where you have GFCI outlets installed.

Finally, humans need fresh water.  About a gallon per person per day if you're using it to cook.  FEMA and the National Guard should be around to help direct you to where you can get fresh water if you are allowed back in your home.

Oh, wait, you meant dwarves.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 09:16:08 am »

You have two major options:

1.drop a natural stone/earth plug via cave-in into a choke-point separating the aquifer from the rest of the fort and pump it out

2. find someway to open access to another aquifer on a lower z-level and use it as a drain.

the first is easier I think
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

mr_coolface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 12:12:37 pm »

set up pumps pumping into the aquifer tiles from the flooded area as close to the leak as possible. you can do this through the ceiling. once you have enough pumps going it should pump more water out than coming in. close of with walls closest to the leak as possible or at least just the room the leak happened in. its not very high risk just takes a little time. no reason you cant at least salvage 95% with just wood and dwarf power   

thermite

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 01:46:06 pm »

I recently had a flooding accident in my soon to be foundry and glass making area from the stairs on the side of a new dropshaft piercing the bottom of a cavern lake. It took some time to get it sealed off but I got it done eventually with the help of pressurized magma (although probably more difficult near an aquifer).

I found that having an off map drain to be very helpful in clearing out water and wish I had put it in sooner. After failing to get a door in place I tried putting in unpressurized magma but that only created obsidian in the magma pipe (wasn't able to get a pump above that pipe due to fast flooding)  I was able to stop it by pumping in magma further up and channeling the final block between the magma and the shaft.

An overview:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The off map drain:

The failed attempt with unpressurized magma

The good obsidian plug from pressurized magma