Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: First Bay Twelve Symposium on Constitutional Rewriting  (Read 14379 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: First Bay Twelve Symposium on Constitutional Rewriting
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2012, 03:42:29 pm »

It's reasons like this that I'm amazed the founders did the not-awful job they did when first writing the constitution, to be entirely honest.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2012, 03:43:36 pm »

I'd still say they did an awful job :P Just not nearly as bad as they could've.

Such happens when you have like 80 armchair philosophers bickering over it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2012, 03:44:40 pm »

22. There are no victimless crimes. Thus if a victim cannot be readily demonstrated, there has been no crime. A victim must be directly harmed or disadvantaged by the act to qualify as a victim.
This would fuck with environmental laws more than anything else.  I'm aware you could say a group of people are being affected but there may be cases where it's extremely hard to demonstrate who exactly was victimized by habitat destruction or pollution.

Also things like attempted murder.  If you find out someone intends to kill another person then you'd either have to wait until they kill them or stop them and let them try again.

If somebody is attacked they have been victimized even if the attacker misses. You've still  scared them and ruined their day. Alternately, the wording could be changed to also include deliberate intent to harm

As for environmental laws, nowhere does the law specify that the victim must be human (which brings me to the related concern that it should be explicitly stated that the supposed victim may not be "God" or "the moral fabric of society")
So you're going to imprison 2 thirds of the country for the mass murder on flies/ mosquitos or some other small animal?

No. A regular and specific law would still need to be passed first for that to be a crime. What is illegal is beyond the scope of the proposed amendment, which exists only to restrict what may be made illegal.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2012, 03:45:48 pm »

I'd still say they did an awful job :P Just not nearly as bad as they could've.

Such happens when you have like 80 armchair philosophers bickering over it.

I believe that one of them described it as "The worst system save for all those others that people have tried" (or something to that effect)

(or was it Winston Churchill who said that? I can never remember; he said a lot of the same kinds of things that Franklin and Jefferson did)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 03:51:42 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2012, 03:46:40 pm »

So, I have to say - I'm actually a huge fan of the electoral college system. I would not like to see it abolished. I would like to see it expanded, and used as intended, instead of almost completely ignored and neglected and misunderstood. It is perhaps our best chance at making legitimate change to the system, since we can do it at a state level and demonstrate it's superiority.

A single state, right now, can switch to an alternate voting system, divide their electoral votes proportionally, or any of a variety of things. It gives them the opportunity to switch to far superior methodologies than any of the ones currently proposed, perhaps less obviously democratic ones but with better outcomes. That they choose to use the system the way they do is the problem. The electoral system gives the people the power to say "You can decide amongst yourselves how you're going to handle this", and the fact that they, without fail, choose the worst possible option doesn't seem to be a promising reason to require 51% support, at minimum, to even ever try something different.

In my mind, one of the main purposes of the states system is thus : to allow government to experiment, improve, and share those improvements in a way where the risks they take will not bring down the system as a whole. They are laboratories - legislative and procedural test beds, if you will. I'd like to see a constitution expound upon that in some way, and more clearly define when and how states can trump federal law (and thus allow current and future progress towards more optimal solutions), and under which circumstances federal law should have the final say (which by definition stifles legislative and procedural innovation, since you need broad compromise to enact a chance).

And then, of course, there's secondary fact that states can more precisely match the preferences of their electorates, something I think is important, though many people seem to disagree. Sure, there are racist states, and states that treat immigrants like shit, but there are also states that allow medical marijuana and gay marriage and have state-based medical systems.

Those who say the federal government should always be able to overwhelm the will of the states are saying that they are willing to sacrifice those good things, and likely any chance of those good things EVER happening, to prevent the bad. I'm not sure it's worth it. Restrictions should be clear.

I think the federal government should not be able to directly tax the people, but only the states, with the tax based equally across states as a percentage of the states wealth or GDP or income or something. Then let the states decide how best to raise those funds.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2012, 03:48:50 pm »

I find it difficult to imagine someone who would do that that's not mentally unhinged in some fashion. So... rehabilitation rather than jail.

Do note we're not talking about crimes of passion here.
There have been quite a lot of conspiracy to murder cases so this is a really weird thing to say.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2012, 03:49:35 pm »

There are quite a lot of nutballs in the world.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2012, 03:51:00 pm »

They haven't all been nutballs.  Some have been murders for monetary gain and the like.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2012, 03:52:05 pm »

Ah, that would require debating whether stuff like sadistic sociopathy is a mental issue or not. I'm willing to concede a difference of opinion there if you don't think it is.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2012, 03:52:39 pm »

medical marijuana
While I do agree with the notion of using drugs in a medical way, I don't like the way it's used in the U.S. It's to uncontrolled, using an oil solution instead of just smoking allows for a better effect, better dosage, and less side effects.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2012, 03:53:05 pm »

It's not sadism.  It's deciding that your personal wealth is more important than the lives of others.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2012, 03:56:33 pm »

Yes, I'd personally file such a person under "nutball" myself. Either they're delusional and really good at rationalizing their monetary wants to be more important than someone's life, or a rather inhuman monster without empathy.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2012, 03:58:17 pm »

While I do agree with the notion of using drugs in a medical way, I don't like the way it's used in the U.S. It's to uncontrolled, using an oil solution instead of just smoking allows for a better effect, better dosage, and less side effects.

This honestly kind of supports my point - optimally, different states would enact different ways of handling it, and the most effective variant would propogate, rather than one (likely wrong) way being enshrined at the start, and pretty much cemented in place because no one wants to risk changing it.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2012, 04:10:24 pm »

In my mind, one of the main purposes of the states system is thus : to allow government to experiment, improve, and share those improvements in a way where the risks they take will not bring down the system as a whole.

I was under the impression that they were simply a vestige of an earlier system that the Founding Fathers had set up during the country's first few years.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2012, 04:14:13 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7