Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: First Bay Twelve Symposium on Constitutional Rewriting  (Read 14354 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: First Bay Twelve Symposium on Constitutional Rewriting
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2012, 04:27:06 pm »

22. There are no victimless crimes. Thus if a victim cannot be readily demonstrated, there has been no crime. A victim must be directly harmed or disadvantaged by the act to qualify as a victim.Yeah, I'd change this thing. There are such things as victims against abstract things, or against groups of people. What about littering?

In the case of littering on people's property the property owner and/or the guy who has to pick it up is the victim. In wooded regions there may be a victim if it disrupts an ecosystem that people are dependent upon. Littering in many other cases maybe victimless.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2012, 07:09:54 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think I fixed most of the problems, if you see anything else please bring it up.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2012, 07:33:23 pm »

I think not.

3. I would exclude foreign nationals wanted for crimes that would be felonies here.

5. This leaves things open for Jehova's witnesses types to prevent their children from getting treatment. Limit it to adults not declared insane.

6. Owning a firearm should require a psychiatric evaluation beforehand. Just because someone hasn't been obviously crazy doesn't mean they're not dangerous

8. I would apply this to all elected positions

9. Don't ban them, just provide a set budget to all candidates, and require factchecking.

10. I don't think courts should be able to censor the press. They tried to do that with the pentagon papers to cover the DoD's ass. Even requiring an explanation leaves it wide open.

15. I would set it to one term, so they don't try to pander to the median to get reelected

I would also include the right to healthcare regardless of financial situation, adequate nutrition, and basic shelter. The absolute necessities of life should always be available.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2012, 08:03:33 pm »

23. Corporations are strictly economic entities. As they are not natural persons they do not have the right to participate in the political process.

The main thrust of this is good, but the wording of the second sentence could cause problems down the line if we ever develop human cloning and/or sapient artificial intelligence.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2012, 08:23:31 pm »

I like the system of color comments, so:

The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2012, 08:25:15 pm »

Some other ideas:

-Supremacy of US law within US territory. The federal government should be explicitly declared as the highest authority within its jurisdiction in general terms (ie. it is not merely higher than the states, it is the highest ruling authority). This is mainly to address three issues:
1. States' rights disputes
2. Abuses such s Libel tourism
3. The controversial and borderline treasonous inclusion of the phrase "under god" in the Pledge of Allegience

-This probably isn't important enough to be in the constitution but we should not ask foreign governments to extradite violent criminals or other criminals who could not realisticaly cause harm to the American people while in self-imposed exile
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 08:34:42 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2012, 09:25:56 pm »

Reposting from the Election Megathread:

Quote from: Me
Here's one idea I've seen bandied about at...gosh, can't remember when. In essence, you allow every county, every dozen years, say, to decide which state it wants to belong to. This would of course require a pretty extensive rewrite of federal laws about how cross-state crimes and federal jurisdiction are handled, because now the boundaries are smaller, but it fixes the problem that we currently have several states which, although they were natural states at their founding, are divided into regions that hate each others' guts. I grew up, for example, in Pittsylvania County, in south-central Virginia- a wonderful place in the way that small, rural places with salt-of-the-earth people tend to be, but pretty conservative. (Its congressional district was a swing district due to the inclusion of Charlottesville, but until... '06, I think, was represented by none other than the wild, wacky, lovable Virgil Hamlin Goode, Junior). Virginia is divided into two parts: a conservative, Southern, not all that rich rural area, and a northern, liberal, wealthy area around DC and stretching down the east coast. Both parts hate each others' guts, for good reason, I should add. There are several other states like this- Missouri, Georgia, even Florida and Pennsylvania.

There is really no good reason why these regions of the country should be forced together when they'd both be a lot happier choosing their own policies.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 09:27:31 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2012, 09:32:53 pm »

9. Political ads shall be banned during election season. Instead, all persons running for the position, with a petition for them to run bearing at least 100 signatures, shall take part in a series of publicly televised, radio broadcasted, and published in all other possible forms of media.I still find this hard to work with. I mean what? 100 people? I could get that. Do you really want a heavily ambitious narcissistic sociopath to get access to millions of people? No one will care. It'd be a high school elections, no one knows who or want you are or support!

I don't know how we could fix that, unless we raised the requirement to 1000, or something like that.

Some other ideas:

-Supremacy of US law within US territory. The federal government should be explicitly declared as the highest authority within its jurisdiction in general terms (ie. it is not merely higher than the states, it is the highest ruling authority). This is mainly to address three issues:
3. The controversial and borderline treasonous inclusion of the phrase "under god" in the Pledge of Allegience

-This probably isn't important enough to be in the constitution but we should not ask foreign governments to extradite violent criminals or other criminals who could not realisticaly cause harm to the American people while in self-imposed exile

I think I covered that with 18.

15. I would set it to one term, so they don't try to pander to the median to get reelected.

I can see that causing a decline in the quality of representatives, as it sounds unnecessarily short to me.

Reposting from the Election Megathread:

Quote from: Me
Here's one idea I've seen bandied about at...gosh, can't remember when. In essence, you allow every county, every dozen years, say, to decide which state it wants to belong to. This would of course require a pretty extensive rewrite of federal laws about how cross-state crimes and federal jurisdiction are handled, because now the boundaries are smaller, but it fixes the problem that we currently have several states which, although they were natural states at their founding, are divided into regions that hate each others' guts. I grew up, for example, in Pittsylvania County, in south-central Virginia- a wonderful place in the way that small, rural places with salt-of-the-earth people tend to be, but pretty conservative. (Its congressional district was a swing district due to the inclusion of Charlottesville, but until... '06, I think, was represented by none other than the wild, wacky, lovable Virgil Hamlin Goode, Junior). Virginia is divided into two parts: a conservative, Southern, not all that rich rural area, and a northern, liberal, wealthy area around DC and stretching down the east coast. Both parts hate each others' guts, for good reason, I should add. There are several other states like this- Missouri, Georgia, even Florida and Pennsylvania.

There is really no good reason why these regions of the country should be forced together when they'd both be a lot happier choosing their own policies.

I'll let someone else write that.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2012, 09:36:43 pm »

I'll let someone else write that.

Oh, sure, some of them will choose horribly backwards policies, and that's what the feds are for. But if solidly red states like Texas and Louisiana get to be ass-backwards, on what grounds do we keep southern VA from doing it? And if California and Massachusetts get to push gay marriage through, why not northern VA? I'm not arguing from a some laws are better than others point of view here, I'm arguing from a treating all political regions equally point of view.

And if we are uncomfortable with that because of the polarization, then we need to scrap the system of states in the other direction, now, and make all of them swing states.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2012, 09:43:57 pm »

Some other ideas:

But #18 only places the federal government above the states. The general statement of supremacy I'm proposing would also place it above foreign powers and God.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2012, 09:50:15 pm »

Some other ideas:

But #18 only places the federal government above the states. The general statement of supremacy I'm proposing would also place it above foreign powers and God.

I thought that was assumed. the federal government is, by definition, the supreme authority in the USA.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2012, 09:52:17 pm »

The primary purpose of a consitution is not the amendments, but how it describes the structure, powers, and limitations of government. So here goes on mine:

In order to establish a society guided by democratic ideals and strengthened by effective management, we establish this government to promote the welfare and defense of the people and the continual advancement of the nation, while insuring the rights and opportunities due to each and every individual; and to establish a fair and just system of governance that treats all citizens as equal before the eyes of the law.

I. All legislative powers shall be granted to the Congress, which shall be composed of three houses.
I.1. The House of Commons, elected by fair and random lottery from amongst all citizens, will represent the common people of the United States directly within the government. Representatives in the house of commons shall serve a term of three years, with one third of the house replaced each year. There is a single term limit for Representatives in the House of Commons. The House of Commons may debate legislation, form investigative committees, and sponsor referendums[see section I'm not going to write for what I mean by referendums, but even if passed it still needs to go through another house] and constitutional amendments, and approve nominees, but may not propose new legislation of their own.
I.2. The House of Experts, elected by a national jury, shall be composed of 100 fixed positions, and the jury shall be tasked with filling each of these positions. Experts will serve a standard term of 4 years, but may be re-elected to their positions by the next jury. A jury will be convened each year, for each position, to elect the 25 Experts for this house, selected randomly from citizens who register for the position. The Jurors will convene for 3 months before voting by ranked ballot, in the form of a secret vote. During which period they may work no other jobs and may receive no other income. [more details would obviously be included in the real document here, like the 100 positions.] The Experts may write and introduce legislation, propose budgets, form special subcommittees, and nominate individuals for managing government agencies.
1.3. The House of Representatives shall be drawn from each state in equal number, in a manner decided by the states, to represent regional interests. It's members may write and introduce legislation, accept and approve budgets and approve nominees.

A bill must pass in 2 of the 3 houses of congress to become a provisional law. Provisional laws expire after 4 years if not renewed. A law that passes all three houses may become a permanent law.

Nominees from the house of experts need only the approval of a single other house to obtain their position, with the exception of the head of the executive agency, which requires the approval of all three houses.

Aaaand, that's all I have for now. Wanted to right more, but so tired.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 04:37:44 pm by GlyphGryph »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2012, 10:15:37 pm »

Some other ideas:

I thought that was assumed. the federal government is, by definition, the supreme authority in the USA.
It is, and yet they still make children say the pledge of Allegiance which treasonously claims otherwise. Apparently it was ambiguous to somebody.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2012, 10:24:40 pm »

Some other ideas:

It is, and yet they still make children say the pledge of Allegiance which treasonously claims otherwise. Apparently it was ambiguous to somebody.

I believe that was a knee-jerk anti-commie move from the 50s. Before that it was as assumed.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2012, 10:35:09 pm »

Some other ideas:

I believe that was a knee-jerk anti-commie move from the 50s. Before that it was as assumed.

Either way the inclusion of the phrase "under God" is a dangerous and borderline treasonous attack on the sovereignty of the United States government
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:37:15 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7