Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: A picture's worth a thousand words (Take 2!)  (Read 6383 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
A picture's worth a thousand words (Take 2!)
« on: October 30, 2012, 08:52:57 pm »

Ah yes, it's back.  For those of you who don't know, a while ago, I ran a bit of an experiment.  I would put up an out-of-context screenshot of my fortress, and others would make guesses about how I ran it.  The idea was to see just how much information can be had from a single image, and what interpretations other players take of them.  It went really well, and I was surprised at how accurately everyone could figure things out.  As such, I feel the time has come to revisit that topic.

The rules are simple:  I will post a series of screenshots of my fortress at regular intervals.  Sizes and content will vary.  You (my fellow forumites) will speculate wildly about my fortress, from my diplomatic arrangements to my chief industry, and from my aesthetic preferences to my treatment of my dwarves.  I will then respond to your guesses as I see fit, generally concurrent with the next picture.

All images were taken at the same time, and all answers that I give will be accurate as of that time.

Without further ado, here is the first image:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:57:04 pm by Gizogin »
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: A picture's worth a thousand words (Take 2!)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 08:55:25 pm »

The baron wandered down the identical hallways of the fortress. To all but the dwarves, it was an impenetrable and insane maze of corridors put together in the worst way possible, but to the baron, it was something else: home. As he walked, he noticed a thresher and his pet kitten licking the rock salt walls near The Bin Chamber, presumably part of a recent competition to "Findde the ƒaltiyƒt Part offe our Fortreƒes Fine Halite Walls!!!! Prizes Aƒ Liƒted!!!!!!". He had not shut down the competition, as it was important that the farmers stayed content during the harsh winter when none but plump helmets would grow. The baron shuddered at the thought. How many of those horrible purple fungi had he been forced to scarf down in those early years? Every day, he checked his beard for purple hairs: signs of plump helmet poisoning, a death sentence for any dwarf. It only struck those venerable dwarves who lived to 150 and above, but not a single dwarf ever made it above 170. The baron's grandfather had died at 168, and his beard was stained a deep, deep purple as he writhed on his deathbed, vainly struggling against the plions attacking his aged brain.

The king slept in his royal chambers. Gossip had arose that there was a "fuchsia" aspect to him: a dwarven slang-term meaning that either a noble was very skilled in one aspect, or he was feigning expertise to disguise his true identity as a necromancer. The similarities were many. Perhaps it was the habit of necromancers to wear the same flowing purple robes as the nobility, eventually bleached into a pure pink by bone-dust and foul reagents. Whatever the cause, it was a compliment to the king, as he happened to be a legendary bone-carver. He was also a necromancer, delighting in making his fine bone figurines come to life, clacking and dancing in whatever shape he chose. For now, he slept with his child nearby. He liked playing with the boy - he was a creature of both flesh and bones, more than anything he could ever hope to create with the lost arts, and he loved him fiercely. One day he would pass on the secrets of life and death to his heir and eventually crawl into his masterful tomb and pass on, but voluntarily, unsealing his ancient contract with the God of Death and secure in the knowledge that before he could be dropped into the dark afterlife of perpetual despair, his eyes would snap open and the first thing he'd see would be his grown son opening the lid of his coffin.

A single cat prowled in the dining room, killing the occasional cave swallow and then secretly dropping it through the grate into the goblin pit. Although the cat was not evolved to the point where it was capable of abstract and sentient thought, seeing the crazed and starved goblins diving for the remains and slaughtering their comrades to get at the only food source ever available to them made the cat feel a warm glow inside. The dwarves would let the goblins starve, but such a fate is too cruel for the goblins. They deserve to be kept alive as long as possible, as was the cat's equally nameless mother when the goblins came to call. As her litter scampered through the doors as they closed, she was slowly dismembered by a Master Lasher, each lash weakening her bones and sinews a bit more before the leg finally snapped off with a sickening thud. This was repeated four times, to the laughter of his comrades. That Master Lasher was now the longest denizen of the pit, having lasted three years on the befouled water dripping in from the cavern drains and the broken corpses of rats. By now, he was completely insane and had eaten his whip last month. The cat watched as, in a fit of lucidity, he clawed at his chest to try and break through to his stomach to tear out the whip, having temporarily retreated from the melee to rest his many, many wounds. The dwarves enjoyed watching the sickening tableau, too. Betting on who would die next was a very popular pastime, and a few bookies charted the wins, losses and injuries of each goblin, deciding how likely it would be that they would expire in the next brawl over a dropped plump helmet stem or crust of bread. Especially the master lasher: despite trailing most of his internal organs behind him and having a whip embedded in his gut, he had never lost a fight. Even when he appeared dead, he would be alive as ever the next morning. But today he had received a mace to his windpipe, and it looked hopeless for him as he choked on his crushed larynx.

The king slept well. Tomorrow he would probably have to do some work in the pit. Such were the perks of being a learned monarch such as himself. The bets he invariably won on the survival odds of each goblin were good, too.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:27:10 pm by GoombaGeek »
My wooden badge was delicious.

Cool Guy

• Bay Watcher
  • inlcude <iostream>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 08:55:59 pm »

That's a nobles room, you like a space efficient fortress with a lot of different rooms.
Am I right?

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 09:12:36 pm »

Your hallways in potentially crowded areas are always 3 tiles wide, but generally your rooms are small even for nobles (though they are nice.) You have more than 10 dwarves.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 09:34:56 pm »

You treat your dwarves pretty well in an efficient manner, engraving only as necessary and providing the minimum amount of furniture to please each noble. It is likely that your mayor and your baron(ess) are the same dwarf. In certain areas, walls but not floors are smoothed, suggesting a highly visible (to the player) difference between the nice areas and the corridors and work areas.

Organisation is pretty good and not based on quantum stockpiles, with stones (flux?) being tucked away in rooms out of the corridors and plenty of bins being used for storage.

The design of the fortress, at least for that level, is sprawling and perhaps a little inefficient with regards to traffic flow. The corridors wind with no pattern, rooms growing from them as they expand.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 09:38:33 pm »

You use ASCII, uniform rough floor tiles, and stone stockpiles.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 10:08:00 pm »

It could also be a row of 9 engravings of a book
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

noobnubcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Clumsy Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 10:59:06 pm »

The king slept in his royal chambers. Gossip had arose that there was a "fuchsia" aspect to him: a dwarven slang-term meaning that either a noble was very skilled in one aspect, or he was feigning expertise to disguise his true identity as a necromancer. The
I was expecting fuchsia to be a slang word for homosexual.
To this day the elven warrior castes hunt the enemies of nature for the purpouse of bringing back slain intelligent beings for consumption by their leaders and generals, for the good of nature and the survival of elvenkind.

And that is the story of how napalm was invented.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 10:52:09 am »

You treat your dwarves pretty well in an efficient manner, engraving only as necessary and providing the minimum amount of furniture to please each noble. It is likely that your mayor and your baron(ess) are the same dwarf. In certain areas, walls but not floors are smoothed, suggesting a highly visible (to the player) difference between the nice areas and the corridors and work areas.

Organisation is pretty good and not based on quantum stockpiles, with stones (flux?) being tucked away in rooms out of the corridors and plenty of bins being used for storage.

The design of the fortress, at least for that level, is sprawling and perhaps a little inefficient with regards to traffic flow. The corridors wind with no pattern, rooms growing from them as they expand.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for.  From just a few tiles, you correctly deduced that I have a baroness (who is also my mayor), among other things.  The stones in the corner are rock salt.  As to your other guesses, well, I'll answer them later.

-snip-

lolwut?  I'm impressed, but also mildly terrified.  Good work?

Anyway, here's your next picture:

(Note that you can still make observations based on the first image.)
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 11:13:58 am »

A bath meant to clean your dwarves and/or teach them swimming.

Also microcline.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 04:09:46 pm »

It's a dwarf or item washer, likely for FB extract given the colour of the stains on the floors and walls. Either it was made in a hurry from the large pool just south of it (a swimming pool, before it was drained?), or the overspill was considered acceptable. I'm not sure how the water got there, given the distribution of the mud. Maybe a section of wall was removed and then replaced? The yellow lever has something to with the waterworks in the screenshot. The door / down stair combination may be some sort of overflow, and the door could be connected to the lever as the lever is in the right position for any linked doors to be closed.

From the rock composition, it's about the same depth as the first screenshot.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 04:19:23 pm »

The baron wandered down the identical hallways of the fortress. To all but the dwarves, it was an impenetrable and insane maze of corridors put together in the worst way possible, but to the baron, it was something else: home. As he walked, he noticed a thresher and his pet kitten licking the rock salt walls near The Bin Chamber, presumably part of a recent competition to "Findde the ƒaltiyƒt Part offe our Fortreƒes Fine Halite Walls!!!! Prizes Aƒ Liƒted!!!!!!". He had not shut down the competition, as it was important that the farmers stayed content during the harsh winter when none but plump helmets would grow. The baron shuddered at the thought. How many of those horrible purple fungi had he been forced to scarf down in those early years? Every day, he checked his beard for purple hairs: signs of plump helmet poisoning, a death sentence for any dwarf. It only struck those venerable dwarves who lived to 150 and above, but not a single dwarf ever made it above 170. The baron's grandfather had died at 168, and his beard was stained a deep, deep purple as he writhed on his deathbed, vainly struggling against the plions attacking his aged brain.

The king slept in his royal chambers. Gossip had arose that there was a "fuchsia" aspect to him: a dwarven slang-term meaning that either a noble was very skilled in one aspect, or he was feigning expertise to disguise his true identity as a necromancer. The similarities were many. Perhaps it was the habit of necromancers to wear the same flowing purple robes as the nobility, eventually bleached into a pure pink by bone-dust and foul reagents. Whatever the cause, it was a compliment to the king, as he happened to be a legendary bone-carver. He was also a necromancer, delighting in making his fine bone figurines come to life, clacking and dancing in whatever shape he chose. For now, he slept with his child nearby. He liked playing with the boy - he was a creature of both flesh and bones, more than anything he could ever hope to create with the lost arts, and he loved him fiercely. One day he would pass on the secrets of life and death to his heir and eventually crawl into his masterful tomb and pass on, but voluntarily, unsealing his ancient contract with the God of Death and secure in the knowledge that before he could be dropped into the dark afterlife of perpetual despair, his eyes would snap open and the first thing he'd see would be his grown son opening the lid of his coffin.

A single cat prowled in the dining room, killing the occasional cave swallow and then secretly dropping it through the grate into the goblin pit. Although the cat was not evolved to the point where it was capable of abstract and sentient thought, seeing the crazed and starved goblins diving for the remains and slaughtering their comrades to get at the only food source ever available to them made the cat feel a warm glow inside. The dwarves would let the goblins starve, but such a fate is too cruel for the goblins. They deserve to be kept alive as long as possible, as was the cat's equally nameless mother when the goblins came to call. As her litter scampered through the doors as they closed, she was slowly dismembered by a Master Lasher, each lash weakening her bones and sinews a bit more before the leg finally snapped off with a sickening thud. This was repeated four times, to the laughter of his comrades. That Master Lasher was now the longest denizen of the pit, having lasted three years on the befouled water dripping in from the cavern drains and the broken corpses of rats. By now, he was completely insane and had eaten his whip last month. The cat watched as, in a fit of lucidity, he clawed at his chest to try and break through to his stomach to tear out the whip, having temporarily retreated from the melee to rest his many, many wounds. The dwarves enjoyed watching the sickening tableau, too. Betting on who would die next was a very popular pastime, and a few bookies charted the wins, losses and injuries of each goblin, deciding how likely it would be that they would expire in the next brawl over a dropped plump helmet stem or crust of bread. Especially the master lasher: despite trailing most of his internal organs behind him and having a whip embedded in his gut, he had never lost a fight. Even when he appeared dead, he would be alive as ever the next morning. But today he had received a mace to his windpipe, and it looked hopeless for him as he choked on his crushed larynx.

The king slept well. Tomorrow he would probably have to do some work in the pit. Such were the perks of being a learned monarch such as himself. The bets he invariably won on the survival odds of each goblin were good, too.

You write extremely well, Goomba :)
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 04:39:33 pm »

Nonsense, he's building a water cannon to fix what happened after he fired the magma cannon

wait

dwarf fortress players don't fix magma

All right. Yeah, that's a communal dwarf bath for the warriors who are caked in horrible juice.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 04:48:26 pm »

The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 05:06:24 pm »

You have water power systems and the bath is conrollable. It's possible you've got a waterfall or two.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4