Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: A picture's worth a thousand words (Take 2!)  (Read 6378 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: A picture's worth a thousand words (Take 2!)
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 02:00:36 pm »

The big water pool is a cistern, also used to clean people and train their swimming skill.

Cistern yes, training for swimming no.

Ok, how about the other guesses?

Water is being used as part of an irrigation project. The area you embarked on did not have sufficent soil areas for tree farms, and you are making your own.

I'm not going to answer every guess right away, because that's no fun!  Also, the water is not being used for irrigation.  I think a lot of the confusion here stems from the fact that I took that screenshot in the midst of filling the cistern.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2012, 07:59:09 pm »

Wild speculation:

You have an unbuilt artifact. You have a lot of marksdwarves.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 11:05:43 am »

img.ie is still blowing up in my face, which is really annoying.  More answers are here, as compensation.

Fortress population is more than 40, but less than 100.  Fortress age is between 4 and 10 years.  There is one river on the map, and it is being used for both power and occasional fishing.  The cistern is the water supply for my hospital, and nothing else.
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 11:38:11 am »

The miner walked along the hallways he had dug, humming to himself and trying to identify the composition of the rough-hewn rock. The ore-bearing rocks over there were either limonite or native gold: while Likod the geology major (now a skilled mason) said you could easily tell native gold by the obvious nuggets of gold embedded in the walls, all the miner saw was unknown yellow squiggles. Suddenly, a pair of weavers came up to him.

"Hey, we heard youse thinking about digging a room all to yourself, broski? Youse thinking you're so cool just because youse can swing a pick?"
"Yeah, brogurt! Youse giving us craftsdwarfs a bad name! This is class warfare!!"

The miner slowly backed away, but he ended up smacking into the hospital wall, which was empty (no screams were coming from it). Why did he have to get vaguely threatened by the Crafts Guild right now? He couldn't think of giving up mining and the respect it brought him among his fellow working classes, and he could just imagine putting a pick through both of their skulls. Even worse was the baron: he had never received punishment for refusing to go along with his insane whims, but his best friend the mechanic had been locked up and it was all he could do to stay in his lavish cell as much as possible so he wouldn't go mad from being chained alone in a remote wing of the fortress.

Once he got away, he remembered the magma pumps that his friend had helped design. Nobody liked the craftsdwarves. The blacksmiths who worked below made everything the fortress needed to wear and trade, and yet the craftsdwarves had the audacity to show up saying they were expert weavers. Useless! Why did they come? They demanded rooms filled with the equipment they needed, when they produced nothing but crap anyone could buy from the elves. The miner, possibly the only dwarf who knew the entire layout of the fortress from memory, knew all too well how close the craftsdwarves' room was to that central magma pump. Even worse, his room was directly above the wall separating 11000 degrees U from the flammable works of the useless burdens on society. He thought for a moment. Likod would jump at the chance to build a good door and floodgate to get rid of them. He could simply dig the drainage out to where the goblins waited near closed doors and impassible moats and run like hell until he was safely inside. Within a week of hard work, every enemy of the fortress, internal and otherwise, would perish. Grinning, he started to think.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2012, 02:46:31 pm »

I think maybe he's in early 5th or late 4th year.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2012, 11:24:30 pm »

Okay, seriously, img.ie is still down.  Anyone know any other image hosting sites that work similarly?
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2012, 12:18:08 am »

img.ur! xD

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2012, 09:00:48 am »

tinypic.com
My wooden badge was delicious.

James009

• Bay Watcher
  • Under centaur siege for going on three years now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2012, 03:45:21 pm »

This reminds me of what the Mentalist and Psych do but with Dwarf Fortress. Kinda fun to watch. Who's been most accurate so far?

(I can't participate because I got no idea what is going on with ASCII, lol)
Recently slaughtered by the undead!

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2012, 04:07:31 pm »

Right, tinypic works, so here are a couple more images.

The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2012, 04:43:25 pm »

Could it be an expansive noble-drowner? A well?
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2012, 04:51:33 pm »

@last one
You have more food than you know what to do with. And this food has more food than it knows what to do with. Also, you don't execute fishermen on sight, or draft them. That's either sand or pus. So you've either got a bunch of sick dwarves with the cleaning labor turned off, or you have sand. It's possible that you use this sand for a glassmaking industry. You've also breached the caverns. Are you hunting/fishing down there?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2012, 05:10:34 pm »

Looks like something fell into the water, I'd wager a dwarf washed off when the pump started up or a corpse got washed into the water box. Looks like there're some waterfall, so either you're pumping water up and around it or got a river/stream tapped off over it, possibly a mist generator dropping water straight into the cistern.

For the second picture, that's a LOT of stills, looks like boozecooking is involved to run that much stills with kitchen right there. You have small livestock industry or incidental wild animal corpse, not enough for surge demand of systematic animal husbandery or wild slaughters.

Caverns' obviously breached from the spore tree and black-caps sapling sprouting up there, so you're either on second or third cavern, presumely first one's already breached. Possibly only second since I don't see any blood thorns, HOWEVER, there're not enough room to determine it definitely from growth observation.

You also don't uses stockpile for leather, thusly the leather workshop right next to tannery, you most likely have craftdwarf shop elsewhere to take advantage of stone or wood sources and isn't interested in having one dedicated to bone/hoof/tooth/totem craft. There're farmer's workshop, but it could easily just be used for quarry bush production or thread from pigtail production, or even sugar pod into dwarven syrup. No quern there, so you're either not using dyed cloths or you have it set up closer to dyer industry, or have a mill aboveground.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2012, 01:28:14 pm »

All three caverns have been breached.  Leather stockpiles are elsewhere.  The stuff that is either sand or pus is, in fact, sand.

Looks like something fell into the water, I'd wager a dwarf washed off when the pump started up or a corpse got washed into the water box. Looks like there're some waterfall, so either you're pumping water up and around it or got a river/stream tapped off over it, possibly a mist generator dropping water straight into the cistern.

A dwarf did indeed fall into the water.  That happened while I was building the walls that make that sort of tunnel-like thing, carrying water from the pump to over where the axle is.  The dwarf in question survived, and got out without incident.

The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Jellycat12

• Bay Watcher
  • My destiny is a giant ROCK!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2012, 01:31:07 pm »

You use fisherdwarfs. Or you import fish.
)( Pisces and proud of it. )(
Just so you know, I'm a girl.
Songs of the Strawberry Trees~My suggestion game!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4