Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Manager Question  (Read 1497 times)

Urist McKoga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Manager Question
« on: October 30, 2012, 08:24:50 pm »

Hello Urists McForumUsers.

In my fortress, i have 2 Craftsdwarf's workshop, one close to my butch (for bono stuffs) and other close to my other workshops(close to stones and wood for stone/woodcrafters). I know I can put each place with its respective dwarf, but if I put, say, 20 rocks nest box through manager menu,orders will be divided by the existing Craftsdwarf's workshop? How can I make the orders to go to their respective Workshops?

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Manager Question
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 09:13:05 pm »

The easy answer is "you can't"

But if you mess around a bit... In circumstances like this, I will fill one workshop with orders on suspension so it cannot receive orders from the manager. then the managers orders go to all the other workshops (in your case the one that you want to take orders.)

Bloodyharbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 09:15:50 pm »

The easy answer is "you can't"

But if you mess around a bit... In circumstances like this, I will fill one workshop with orders on suspension so it cannot receive orders from the manager. then the managers orders go to all the other workshops (in your case the one that you want to take orders.)

genius!

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 09:29:31 pm »

The above solution won't work well if you want to use both workshops at the same time.
I would suggest using stockpile/workshop links (take from, give to). There would be a lot of cancellation spam, but eventually, the jobs would get done at the right workshops. Actually, this method is still kind of bad.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 09:35:13 pm »

If you like that...:
I find that its hard to keep a skilled glassmaker busy while NOT wasting his time gathering sand (which is unaffected by skill)
So I build several glassmaker's furnaces (either magma or regular, but usually regular so they can be near the sand) Then I designate an army of dwarves to gather sand. Set the shops up with 1 order to gather sand on repeat, and 9 orders on suspension.
Then I build 1 shop for THE glassmaker (restrict who can use it with P), and just use the manager to queue up glass jobs. Since the other shops are full of useless orders, the manager fills only the 1 shop with orders for the skilled glasser. And there is always spare sand... assuming I can spare the laborers.
It's fairly self managing, but not fool proof.

The above solution won't work well if you want to use both workshops at the same time.
I would suggest using stockpile/workshop links (take from, give to). There would be a lot of cancellation spam, but eventually, the jobs would get done at the right workshops. Actually, this method is still kind of bad.
This is true.
Though I wouldn't say "it won't work" -- it will just be a little clumsy. You can still use the other shop as long as it is always full. jobs either need to be suspended or on repeat with no chance of cancellation (use Dfhack's workflow manager?).

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 11:30:57 pm »

If you like that...:
I find that its hard to keep a skilled glassmaker busy while NOT wasting his time gathering sand (which is unaffected by skill)
So I build several glassmaker's furnaces (either magma or regular, but usually regular so they can be near the sand) Then I designate an army of dwarves to gather sand. Set the shops up with 1 order to gather sand on repeat, and 9 orders on suspension.
Then I build 1 shop for THE glassmaker (restrict who can use it with P), and just use the manager to queue up glass jobs. Since the other shops are full of useless orders, the manager fills only the 1 shop with orders for the skilled glasser. And there is always spare sand... assuming I can spare the laborers.

That's probably the best weay to automate glass/clay industry. Remember to also restrict the sand/clay gathering workshops with a low max skill, so that your legendary glassmaker/potter doesn't go pick up sand when there's a lot perfectly useless fisherdwarves idling around.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 01:41:37 am »

I rarely bothers with manager orders, other than queuing up brewing jobs because I tend to need a lot more of them than 10 at once and it tend to get interrupted by lack of barrels and pots. I just use repeat for most jobs since I can sell the rest off, or depends on it running out of supply first.

For glass and clay stuff, I pretty much just disable hauling for crafters, since IIRC item hauler job is used to gather sand and clay, and have a few extra in stockpile so the hauling lag's not too bad. Also multiple workshops so they can take turns between them, a bit wasteful but it let me have faster turnaround while not over/under supplying to demand.

Sometimes the better way to improve efficiency is to make sure your workshop workers don't haul crap OUT :D

Urist McKoga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 05:58:58 am »

If you like that...:

This is true.
Though I wouldn't say "it won't work" -- it will just be a little clumsy. You can still use the other shop as long as it is always full. jobs either need to be suspended or on repeat with no chance of cancellation (use Dfhack's workflow manager?).
Well, i think i can use this in my fortress. My Craftsdwarfs close to Butcher i just put make bone bolts-R and the other one is free to stone/wood craft works.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 10:45:34 pm »

Manager is better for mass jobs, so for glass I tend to give a gather sand order through the manager, but oversee production myself. Don't forget that you can assign a workshop to a particular dwarf or skill level, this also let's you separate tasks to a degree: namely unskilled dwarves wont try to take over the spots you mean for your craftsmen.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

xpi0t0s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 05:20:25 am »

Put both workshops near the rocks because bones are easier to move than rocks.

Forbid all but 20 stones and add Make Rock Nestbox on Repeat to the stone workshop.

Or just add 20 Make Rock Nestbox orders to the stone workshop (which you will need to do in 2 shifts).

Would workshop profiles solve this?  i.e. is the Manager too dumb to check before adding stone orders to a workshop to check it can actually be used by someone with stone skills?

Or just play with "fastdwarf 1" on all the time.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 07:54:14 am »

Put both workshops near the rocks because bones are easier to move than rocks.

Forbid all but 20 stones and add Make Rock Nestbox on Repeat to the stone workshop.

Or just add 20 Make Rock Nestbox orders to the stone workshop (which you will need to do in 2 shifts).

Would workshop profiles solve this?  i.e. is the Manager too dumb to check before adding stone orders to a workshop to check it can actually be used by someone with stone skills?

Or just play with "fastdwarf 1" on all the time.

Manager don't even know the speciality of dwarves specially assigned to the workshop through profile or burrow, so it'll try to put it on ALL of the workshops of same type. Which's why I tend to do it manually when not setting repeating job.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 10:52:17 am »

I like to manage mechanisms, melt objects, smelt metal and brewing/cooking.  Sometimes I'll toss in lye, ash, coal, and soap jobs.  Not much else, because its true what they say about managers.  The shit floats to the top.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.