Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: Disney buys Lucasfilm  (Read 23153 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm
« Reply #210 on: November 01, 2012, 10:17:37 pm »

I ought to play X-2. I hear it's pretty fun, though the story sucks.
A buddy of mine played it, and apparently the combat system was actually fairly good.
That was pretty much the only good thing about it.
To be honest, the main issue with JPRGs tends to be the combat system, so that's a pretty significant plus.

I can take a dull story with fun gameplay. I can't take a good story with boring gameplay.
I take it you didn't like VIII?  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 01, 2012, 10:20:42 pm »

I hated that one most of all, yes. At least of those I've played (haven't touched 13 and some of the non-numbered FFs).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 01, 2012, 10:28:20 pm »

I ought to play X-2. I hear it's pretty fun, though the story sucks.
A buddy of mine played it, and apparently the combat system was actually fairly good.
That was pretty much the only good thing about it.
To be honest, the main issue with JPRGs tends to be the combat system, so that's a pretty significant plus.

I can take a dull story with fun gameplay. I can't take a good story with boring gameplay.
I take it you didn't like VIII?  :P

VIII had fun gameplay, VERY fun gameplay that was capable of blazing fast dynamic fights that never quit on the action and you never needed to grind or even properly prepare your characters, you could just make shit up as you went along and still squeak out awesome victories. It was just that the stat system was naturally confusing and the design of the game world and combat lended itself to players trying to exploit the wrong parts, leading to frustration when they'd grind for extended periods and receive only marginal benefit from it. Or worse, because of the rubberband leveling nature of monsters in the game, you'd wind up worse off after grinding.

That, and I swear I get red in the face furious when I hear about someone complaining about having to grind the draw command to stock up on 100 of each magic, it's just not how the game's meant to be played.

But I'll stop now, I'm having PTSD-esque flashbacks to my resounding hatred for Squall and my many self-imposed challenge runs of the game. I fly into rants too easily about VIII.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 01, 2012, 10:30:29 pm »

That, and I swear I get red in the face furious when I hear about someone complaining about having to grind the draw command to stock up on 100 of each magic, it's just not how the game's meant to be played.
Good thing I didn't finish writing up that rant about the draw command :P

TBH there was one part of the game I liked: The Guardian Forces. They seemed fun to customize.

Past that, I spent more time playing the card game than the regular game. At least until I quit playing the entire game.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 01, 2012, 10:51:43 pm »

Ok, I'm more than a page behind now because derail into Final Fantasy?  It should be interesting to see how this evolved.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 01, 2012, 11:06:51 pm »

As "New Disney" we are instead going to replace that scene with THREE comical sidekicks.

In fact our new movie is C3PO, Jar Jar, and a jive talking Ewok having adventures.

Don't be silly, Jar Jar died when the Empire blew up Naboo with the Peace Moon.

(I skimmed over the latest posts, but they all seem to be about roman numerals)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 01, 2012, 11:12:58 pm »

Caught up.  My diagnosis:  The original topic died of a critical fucks deficiency.  Sort of like scurvy, this led to a rapid degradation of the subject matter boundaries.  The smell of bleeding content attracted carrion conversation topics to the thread's fresh carcass.  Final Fantasy happens to be a very large and aggressive member of this species.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #217 on: November 01, 2012, 11:46:23 pm »

Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 02, 2012, 02:38:45 am »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 02, 2012, 02:42:58 am »

A youtube video, about how Darth Vader was at Disneyland, came out two days ago. They work really, really fast.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 02, 2012, 02:43:40 am »

Wow, Disney doesn't waste any time at all.
...that's been there AT LEAST 20 years. May I say "epic fail" on your part?

A youtube video, about how Darth Vader was at Disneyland, came out two days ago. They work really, really fast.
Again, been there for a while, but not 20 years.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 02, 2012, 02:45:11 am »

You don't get it. They're so fast that they did it before even owning the franchise!

Time traveling merchandising, guys.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 02, 2012, 09:02:28 am »

As "New Disney" we are instead going to replace that scene with THREE comical sidekicks.

In fact our new movie is C3PO, Jar Jar, and a jive talking Ewok having adventures.

Don't be silly, Jar Jar died when the Empire blew up Naboo with the Peace Moon.
I wouldn't put it past them bringing him (/her) back somehow (perhaps with plastic surgery to reappear in one of the other demi-humanoid-heavy scenes).

(Oooh look, yesterday's part was #800.)

(I skimmed over the latest posts, but they all seem to be about roman numerals)
Yeah, I'm lost too.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 02, 2012, 09:40:02 am »

Maybe someone in Disney just started making a Star Wars movie as a pet project, and then it got out of hand and someone higher up just said "Ah fuck it, just buy Lucas out so this time and money we already spent gets put to good use."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 02, 2012, 09:42:59 am »

Wow, Disney doesn't waste any time at all.
Err...yeah, I rode on that when I was like 16. Which was 20+ years ago. Just sayin'.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21