Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: Disney buys Lucasfilm  (Read 23108 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2012, 09:08:41 pm »

The original Clone Wars cartoon was awesome, I thought. Too bad it's been overshadowed by the new one.

As for Disney, they're one of the few companies out there who actually try to produce quality stuff more than once in a blue moon. It doesn't always go well, but that's life. I think that LucasFilm could have gone into much worse hands.
Nothing important here, move along.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2012, 09:08:52 pm »

No one movie is going to make 4 billion dollars, maniac. This deal was for multiple franchises, everything Lucasfilm has. It'll pay off, but not just from Star Wars.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2012, 09:13:43 pm »

No one movie is going to make 4 billion dollars, maniac. This deal was for multiple franchises, everything Lucasfilm has. It'll pay off, but not just from Star Wars.

The target audience is going to be kids, like the prequels.  That's pretty much a given.
You don't know that.

They just shelled $4 billion out for this title.  They want a return on that investment.  Movie sales will not earn them a sufficient return.  The way they are going to get a return on that investment is by selling toys and video games.  The best market for these will be children.  Therefore their target audience will be children.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2012, 09:19:21 pm »

Do note that making something appealing to kids doesn't necessarily prevent it from being appealing to other demographics, or from being good. By those standards (interests kids, sells merch) the original trilogy was "targeting kids".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2012, 09:21:04 pm »

My dad had something interesting to say about what he thinks will happen and I figure it is worth saying here. He figures the first new movie is basically planned out already and will be 99% George Lucas, the next film he thinks will be about 60 or 50% after Star Wars and the last currently planned one will be about 10% though still very much the Star Wars we know and love. After that though he thinks what will happen is they will do something to either kill off or completely remove everyone but a single character so that they can go a completely different direction which they believe will make them lots of money. Basically within a decade or so he believes that what Star Wars is will be completely different from what we have right now.
   Also one thing to note, along with Star Wars what Disney also acquired when they got LucasFilms is Indiana Jones. Thats right, Disney now controls that as well.

Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2012, 09:26:57 pm »

My dad had something interesting to say about what he thinks will happen and I figure it is worth saying here. He figures the first new movie is basically planned out already and will be 99% George Lucas, the next film he thinks will be about 60 or 50% after Star Wars and the last currently planned one will be about 10% though still very much the Star Wars we know and love. After that though he thinks what will happen is they will do something to either kill off or completely remove everyone but a single character so that they can go a completely different direction which they believe will make them lots of money. Basically within a decade or so he believes that what Star Wars is will be completely different from what we have right now.
   Also one thing to note, along with Star Wars what Disney also acquired when they got LucasFilms is Indiana Jones. Thats right, Disney now controls that as well.

All I can say is if they end make indiana less awesome I am persoanlly going to go around and punch every single disney executive till their teeth come out. Thats a FACT.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2012, 09:48:18 pm »

Episode 7 will come out in 2015.

You're kidding...

*scrolls through the article*

The last Star Wars movie release was 2005’s Revenge of the Sith – and we believe there’s substantial pent up demand. In 2015, we’re planning to release Star Wars Episode 7 – the first feature film under the “Disney-Lucasfilm” brand. That will be followed by Episodes 8 and 9 – and our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years. We’re very happy that George Lucas will be creative consultant on our new Star Wars films and that Kathleen Kennedy, the current Co-Chair of Lucasfilm, will executive produce. George handpicked Kathy earlier this year to lead Lucasfilm into the future. She’ll join Disney as President of Lucasfilm, reporting into Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn and integrating and building the Star Wars franchise across our company.

You're not kidding.  :o

Not sure if Disney is really lower. It's not Lucas. What could be lo... oh... well, maybe they'll be more serious, or more scary, say, like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, rather than your standard Disney movie?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2012, 09:57:37 pm »

Prediction: Jar Jar Binks will become the protagonist of the third trilogy.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2012, 09:59:24 pm »

Problem: the one thing that Disney does really well above all else is make money and that just seems counter to it
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2012, 10:02:17 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2012, 10:10:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Meh.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2012, 10:24:16 pm »

Initial thoughts:

Calmer thoughts now:
Although I like the idea of new SW movies, I'm not too sure what direction Disney will take the franchise. EU storylines tend to be rather grim with the New Republic fighting all the splinter Imperial factions and the new alien threats left right and centre (YZ and the Yevetha were a handful of alien threats). Also, with the penchant for happy endings, I don't know if we'll be seeing more movies in the vein of "throw the Sith into lava".
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2012, 10:26:33 pm »

Actually... I can see four workable possibilities at least:

1. Pick up where Lucas left off with what he already had for post-Return material.
2. Go into the EU with a focus on:
a. Han and Leia's kids
b. Thrawn
c. New ("new") set of characters set in the New Republic/Post-Empire conflict.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2012, 10:30:18 pm »

My biggest worry and the one that my dad thinks is what will happen is that they will just forsake Star Wars and turn it into some new thing while still calling it Star Wars. Basically what I see coming is midichlorians all over again except they won't just drop it like a hot potato because whatever it is they add will be aimed at a market that is willing to pay for it and Disney is quite able to ignore the howls of fanboys.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2012, 10:30:23 pm »

Problem: the one thing that Disney does really well above all else is make money and that just seems counter to it
They'll do it somehow simply to spite us. Brainwashing maybe.

I just, can't process the idea of another Star wars movie. It actually feels unreal.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21