Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Author Topic: Disney buys Lucasfilm  (Read 23081 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2012, 07:49:23 pm »

Sith Conspiracy: Palpatine's death was merely a Disney Death. He'll be back.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:50:54 pm by Itnetlolor »

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2012, 07:58:39 pm »

I want the extended universe stuff to be used because I like Leia and Han's children Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin. Yes I remembered them off the top of my head.

Edit:Oh and yeah, Leia is a Disney princess now, whatever that will cause who knows
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:00:53 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2012, 08:00:40 pm »

You'd think a self-proclaimed brony would recognize that even products directed at children can be big hits with older audiences.

My Little Pony is an example of what happens when you give great people artistic freedom.  You think Disney would find someone like Lauren Faust and say "here, take this multi-billion dollar investment and have fun!"  It just ain't gonna happen.  Who ever get this is going to be interested in movie sales in the first month in the 12-24 y.o. demographic and not give a damn about the lasting legacy.  I could be wrong here, maybe it will turn out unexpectedly awesome.  But we don't have any evidence of that yet and there are 4 billion reasons to doubt it.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2012, 08:12:46 pm »

Here you all are ignoring the Trekkies. They invented slashfics.
Huh? I'm pretty sure slashfic is as old as language, that homosexual pairings of previously known characters from other stories were told around some of the very first camp fires.
I tend towards the (admittedly less-common) usage of slash to identify any pairing without canon support.

But here, I'll quote verbatim from the all-knowing tome of knowledge and stuff.

It is commonly believed that current slash fanfiction originated within the Star Trek: The Original Series fan fiction fandom, with "Kirk/Spock" stories – generally authored by female fans of the series – first appearing in the late 1970s.[1][4] The name arises from the use of the slash symbol (/) in mentions in the late '70s of K/S (meaning stories where Kirk and Spock had a romantic [and often sexual] relationship) as compared to the ampersand (&) conventionally used for K&S or Kirk and Spock friendship fiction. For a time both slash and K/S (for "Kirk/Spock") were used interchangeably. Slash later spread to other fandoms, first Starsky and Hutch, Blake's 7, and The Professionals,[3] then many others, eventually creating a fandom based around the concept of slash.[5][6] Many early slash stories were based on a pairing of two close friends, a "hero dyad" or "One True Pairing" such as Kirk/Spock or Starsky/Hutch; conversely, a classic pairing between foils was that of Blake/Avon from Blake's 7.[7]

That was the first time that the concept was really enshrined as a notable cultural artifact. In the sort of context you're talking about, "fan fiction" wasn't really a thing; stories changed from person to person, as each practitioner of the oral tradition and each writer would add their own touches to the same basic concept. If a particular person introduced a new romantic pairing, that was their version of the myth or legend, nothing more or less. Slash is a specific departure from canon, which itself is a (relatively) modern concept; you don't have "canon" when you don't have a single source that can be definitively identified as the "correct" interpretation of a story.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2012, 08:22:18 pm »

No... My Little Pony is a better example of what happens when a show has a fandom that is hated by the internet community. (In MLP's case it is male adults being hated)

There are plenty of "Childrens shows" that were popular with adults. (Some were cancelled specifically because they only were popular with adults, when they were geared towards children).

There are a few gems of a childrens show with depth and weight. Why do they appeal to adults? because what are really the differences between a child's show and an adult show? Oddly enough I find that Children shows tend to have better pacing then adult ones.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:24:00 pm by Neonivek »

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2012, 08:30:51 pm »

Neonivek, I don't even know where I could start describing how I feel what you said was wrong and it is, mostly because all of what I have against it is opinions so anything I say would just cause more arguments so instead I thought of something else. Lets not go on about MLP as it is equally loved and hated by the internet and continued use of it will just bring tears to this thread. If you want to continue with it though at least provide some other children show that has come out within the last 5ish years that has had enough depth and has good pacing because I just can't be bothered to look them up as I am still stuck with Zoids: Chaotic Century and the original few Digimon seasons.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:33:43 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2012, 08:41:42 pm »

Neonivek, I don't even know where I could start describing how I feel what you said was wrong and it is, mostly because all of what I have against it is opinions so anything I say would just cause more arguments so instead I thought of something else. Lets not go on about MLP as it is equally loved and hated by the internet and continued use of it will just bring tears to this thread. If you want to continue with it though at least provide some other children show that has come out within the last 5ish years that has had enough depth and has good pacing because I just can't be bothered to look them up as I am still stuck with Zoids: Chaotic Century and the original few Digimon seasons.

So let me get this straight. Your arguement against my "MLP is a better example of a hated fandom" is "Well My Little Pony is FAR greater and deeper then any show you can come up with!".

Lets not bring "My show is better then yours"

Mind you all my favorite children shows with depth, pacing, and other good elements tend to be from the 80s to early 2000s.

Though judging by your reaction there is obviously a subtext here. If I had to guess it is one of two things
1) You think I hate fans of MLP
or
2) You think I think MLP is "nothing special" or "Terrible"
So either or.

My statement is simply that shows, great shows, that were originally aimed for a younger audiance that also appealed to adults to the extent that they have a sizable adult audiance, or even more adult viewers then child viewers, isn't anything new. Nor are shows made for children that actually have depth, character development, and good pacing. My Little Pony however has something the animated world hasn't had until now. The Adult fans being strongly hated by the online community and needlessly mocked constantly as part of a meme.

Hense why I think it is a better example of that. It did that better then any other cartoon previously.

Mind you if I have a bias it may have something to do with the fact that I despise the term "brony" in so far that... A fan is a fan. Why the HECK is anyone segmenting the fanbases? (I also never seen MLP:FIM. Nor is this show actually shown on ANY station where I live. I'd actually need to get American stations to watch it, or get it online. So I am spared some of the fandom and hatedom here)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:47:40 pm by Neonivek »

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2012, 08:47:29 pm »

What little relevance MLP has to the thread does not warrant the amount of rage and table throwing it incites. Let's use other examples instead or make the point some other way.

With that said, does anyone else find it strange that Disney can somehow both make AND ruin your childhood? Granted the Disney phase and the Star Wars phase were a few years apart, but I was definitely still a child for both.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2012, 08:48:36 pm »

@Neonivek
   No, I mean that MLP causes exactly the kind of reaction you just had to what I said and I was advising either not talking about it all anymore or if you continue to talk about it then bring up other recent children cartoons that are worth anything so its not just "MLP [Rocks/Sucks]" being said over and over. Also I just did not remember anything recently that was good but because I have not really looked at anything outside of MLP (which I do think is a great show irrespective of its target audience) recently.

@Shinotsa
   Its like this but replace George Lucas with Mickey Mouse. In a few years Mickey will show up at your house and start rewriting your own history through the power of time travel.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:52:07 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2012, 08:53:14 pm »

What little relevance MLP has to the thread does not warrant the amount of rage and table throwing it incites. Let's use other examples instead or make the point some other way.

With that said, does anyone else find it strange that Disney can somehow both make AND ruin your childhood? Granted the Disney phase and the Star Wars phase were a few years apart, but I was definitely still a child for both.

To my knowledge Disney buying Marvel didn't affect anything. Disney so far seems to be a lot less destructive then some companies I can think of (EA).

Heck I remember when Disney actually gave GOOD shows.

No, I mean that MLP causes exactly the kind of reaction you just had to what I said

Statements that there are a lot of good shows and the thing that stands out most about MLP is its sizable segregation of its fanbase that is met with unfair redicule?

To my knowledge my statements do not even hint at the quality of MLP, in fact even though I never watched it... I assume it is a good show.

You REALLY are pulling stuff out of what I said that isn't there. Calm down and read it more closely. My statements are a lot more neutral then they seem.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2012, 08:55:18 pm »

What a segue.  People we are supposed to be talking about why the new star wars is gonna suck.  We fan there therefor we hate.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Brian Steelhelm the Disciplined
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2012, 08:55:47 pm »

Remember, Disney owns studios like Marvel that make movies like Iron Man and The Avengers, so this new Star Wars isn't necessarily going to target 12 year olds like the animated Clone Wars. It can be a bit more mature than that.
Quote from: XxoriginxX
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2012, 09:04:39 pm »

Personally I wanted to get out of Prequils because frankly the CG cartoon kinda fails as a prequil.

The two main goals of a prequil are as follows
1) It expands on what happens before the movie starts. Giving in depth looks on the characters and events.
and
2) It gives us something new to care about that may not have been in the movie it is a prequil of. Thus giving new stakes.

Here is the thing. We sort of know exactly what is going to happen, they kill off any new elements and stakes, and many of the episodes are just "Yeah the empire is just going to mess things up. Why do I care?".

I want out of the Prequils.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2012, 09:05:49 pm »

Remember, Disney owns studios like Marvel that make movies like Iron Man and The Avengers, so this new Star Wars isn't necessarily going to target 12 year olds like the animated Clone Wars. It can be a bit more mature than that.

Those weren't 4 billion dollar investments.  And the sum box office of Iron man 1 and 2 and the Avengers doesn't amount to 4 billion.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21