Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21

Author Topic: Disney buys Lucasfilm  (Read 23069 times)

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2012, 10:30:41 pm »

I'm not sure if what I feel is excitement or dread.
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2012, 10:32:18 pm »

Han and Leia's kids have a rather sad canon ending though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Although I'd watch anything from the Thrawn trilogy. Zahn's works were some of the more interesting ones.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2012, 10:33:45 pm »

Although I'd watch anything from the Thrawn trilogy. Zahn's works were some of the more interesting ones.
This, personally. I haven't read much in terms of star wars extra-verse (shoot me) and what I read with him, I liked.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2012, 10:34:19 pm »

My biggest worry and the one that my dad thinks is what will happen is that they will just forsake Star Wars and turn it into some new thing while still calling it Star Wars. Basically what I see coming is midichlorians all over again except they won't just drop it like a hot potato because whatever it is they add will be aimed at a market that is willing to pay for it and Disney is quite able to ignore the howls of fanboys.

Ohh my... Like Startrek

Don't get me wrong this has NO STATEMENT on the new Startrek movie and its quality.

But we can all agree that this was clearly the youngest Star Trek crew ever.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2012, 10:35:16 pm »

They just shelled $4 billion out for this title.  They want a return on that investment.  Movie sales will not earn them a sufficient return.  The way they are going to get a return on that investment is by selling toys and video games.  The best market for these will be children.  Therefore their target audience will be children.
The a big audience for Star Wars is nerds and nogstalgia. They probably wouldn't do something stupid like make the movies primarily for kids, since it would cut into their long term profits (and you have to remember, Disney cares quite a bit about their profits).

They will do a bunch of merchandise, but probably not that much more then there already was, there are tons of star wars stuff out already: light sabers, costumes, clothes. A new movie will allow new merchandise, but its nothing that didn't happen under the older movies.

The Avengers made Disney a billion dollars in the box office on its own. A good star wars trilogy can easily make a billion each movie (if they are really good they can make significantly more), with another few billion on merchandise for it. That's over 4 billion right there, and that's not even counting all the other money that Lucas Arts is already making (which is probably small peanuts to a company like Disney, but its still there).

Although I like the idea of new SW movies, I'm not too sure what direction Disney will take the franchise. EU storylines tend to be rather grim with the New Republic fighting all the splinter Imperial factions and the new alien threats left right and centre (YZ and the Yevetha were a handful of alien threats). Also, with the penchant for happy endings, I don't know if we'll be seeing more movies in the vein of "throw the Sith into lava".
I don't think Disney will really care about the EU, although if we are lucky they will avoid trampling all over it.

FAKE-EDIT: Stupid browser, I though I posted this ten minutes ago.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2012, 10:35:49 pm »

If they did decide to go for the Thrawn trilogy, that would make me quite happy. Imagine who they could get to play as Thrawn, or even Joruus?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2012, 10:36:12 pm »

Problem: the one thing that Disney does really well above all else is make money and that just seems counter to it
They'll do it somehow simply to spite us. Brainwashing maybe.

I just, can't process the idea of another Star wars movie. It actually feels unreal.
Star Wars Episode VII
Jar Jar Bink's Adventure Time: Discovery of the Ewoks!
   Come see Jar Jar as he discovers a new race of primitive people, those of you familiar with Star Wars will remember them fondly! Yes that's right, its the EWOKS! Back by popular demand come see how Jar Jar Bink's manages to discover their home and then stays awhile. For all ages!
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2012, 10:40:40 pm »

If they did decide to go for the Thrawn trilogy, that would make me quite happy.
:D

Star Wars Episode VII
Jar Jar Bink's Adventure Time: Discovery of the Ewoks!
   Come see Jar Jar as he discovers a new race of primitive people, those of you familiar with Star Wars will remember them fondly! Yes that's right, its the EWOKS! Back by popular demand come see how Jar Jar Bink's manages to discover their home and then stays awhile. For all ages!
If that one ends with Jar Jar being brained by the Ewoks I'd watch it for the braining :P

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2012, 10:41:16 pm »

Like one of the first 10 posters, I have no idea how to feel about this.  I of course consider episodes 4-6 awesome, and 1-3 to be... well... a product of the age?  Not really that bad, but oranges compared to the original trilogy's apples.

I didn't read the expanded universe, I actively rejected it, but my brother loved it.  I'm curious as to how he reacts.  I will almost certainly let him see the movies first (on opening night, probably) and make a decision based on his reaction.  I did enjoy the Republic Commando PC game and parts of the cartoon, so odds are good that I'll enjoy this.

In fact, I spent years pointlessly arguing with my bro that the extended universe was silly fluff.  So *maybe* I'll like this.  I am doubtful, though.  It's Disney after all.  It may be entertaining but I don't expect it to be deep.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2012, 10:44:06 pm »

Everything in Star Wars is silly fluff when you have a guy who keeps editing movies ages after they're out of theaters.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2012, 10:45:03 pm »

Everything in Star Wars is silly fluff when you have a guy who keeps editing movies ages after they're out of theaters.
HAN SHOT FIRST

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2012, 10:45:47 pm »

HAN SHOT FIRST
I KNOW
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2012, 10:50:44 pm »

The one thing that may make Disney keep to the EU stuff is the fact that if they do then they have a market they can sell to no questions asked. If they want to also target kids then they can just focus on the Solo children when they are younger as the three of them cover a good section of that by the fact that they are a couple of older kids one boy and one girl, and a younger child who while being a boy is young enough to have that not matter as much.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2012, 10:52:42 pm »

The one thing that may make Disney keep to the EU stuff is the fact that if they do then they have a market they can sell to no questions asked. If they want to also target kids then they can just focus on the Solo children when they are younger as the three of them cover a good section of that by the fact that they are a couple of older kids one boy and one girl, and a younger child who while being a boy is young enough to have that not matter as much.
So.. the Young Jedi Knights series then? That essentially details Jedi training for Jacen, Jaina and little Anakin.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2012, 10:57:46 pm »

I have seen Legostarwars where believe it or not... No one dies.

But weirdest of all is Luke stopping Vader as a child.

So it isn't like we havn't got "Kiddy Starwars" before this.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:00:24 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21