Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 111

Author Topic: The Bay12 RPG - Made in RPG Maker VX! - Back again by popular demand!  (Read 230545 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 RPG - Made in RPG Maker VX! - You can be a player!
« Reply #1605 on: January 27, 2013, 04:20:17 pm »

Speaking as someone who played in YOU AT FINAL BOSS, starting at Lawful Good, progressing to Pragmatic Good, and getting everyone mad at me all the way, a Lawful Good antagonist makes perfect sense for a Bay12 RPG.

Over the course of the game, he would probably go towards 'neutral' which is where he would join the group at for two reasons 1) the party is the first to defeat him, and 2) he thinks that any government that can train troops that incompetently should not remain in power.  For fun, there could be an earlier fight where he nearly curb-stomps the party...and one of the troops gets the bright idea to start an avalanche, nearly burying Zanzetkuken and launching the party into a cave.  Probably would emerge extremely *annoyed* and throws the soldier who had the idea against a nearby cliff.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #1606 on: January 28, 2013, 02:53:27 am »

And then the party promptly stabs him in the throat because he's proven that he'll betray them at the first sign of weakness? :P
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: January 28, 2013, 02:58:29 am »

When it comes to allignment it is best to COMPLETELY and uttarly ignore it.

going towards "Neutral" doesn't mean anything because neutrality isn't one viewpoint but many.

If you are saying he is going from a "pure angelic hero" into one who is "knowledgeable of the world but broken because of it" then say so.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: January 28, 2013, 04:19:22 am »

Characteristics of ANY decent character are too complex to classify as 'neutral good'/'bumbling evil'/'affable good'/'chaotic neutral'/'collaterally damaging good'.

The idea of those qualifiers are to simplify the character AFTER your character has been developed, rather than align your character to the rubric THEN making your character.

And Neonivek, you are invaluable.
Ursula's going to be the 'PSEUDO-pure angelic hero' (faking because of amnesia), then 'knowledgeable of the world, and jaded and cynical about it.'

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: January 28, 2013, 01:08:02 pm »

If you are saying he is going from a "pure angelic hero" into one who is "knowledgeable of the world but broken because of it" then say so.

Lawful good does not necessarily mean 'pure angelic hero.'  That is a misconception of the alignment.  Lawful good actually means that you will not go against a authority because you believe that order is better than anarchy, no matter how bad the authority is, up until a point.

Neutral is better defined as the natural state of humanity, doing what you want, but not trying to force your way such as an evil aligned would, and not completely obeying laws, but not trying to go to war against the authority unless it is going too far.

The idea of those qualifiers are to simplify the character AFTER your character has been developed, rather than align your character to the rubric THEN making your character.

Actually, I do not think of it that way.  I rather think of alignment as the greatest simplification of how a character acts.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:11:53 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: January 28, 2013, 01:09:57 pm »

Replace government with authority and you've got it pretty much nailed.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: January 28, 2013, 01:12:10 pm »

Replace government with authority and you've got it pretty much nailed.

Made the edit.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: January 28, 2013, 06:38:37 pm »

That is a misconception of the alignment

I was banking on it being the misconception.

In one of the ways I disagree with my DM, I consider the Good-evil allignments to be entirely seperate from the Lawful - Chaotic allignments and when they merge it is because they are going off each of their ideas.

Lawful Good just means... Lawful AND Good. It is someone who believes that rules, order, and structure is ultimately what is good. It is also someone who believes that doing good, for others, is something everyone should strive for or at least they themselves personally and that this good it outside of law/chaos (so someone who believes that Law is the ultimate personification of good and only does that... Is Lawful Neutral).

It is why I actually tend to dislike Lawful Neutral. Since everytime I see it I see a "Lawful Good" character, just one who understands the needs to sacrifice their ideals or treat themselves every once and awhile. Yet I cannot blame them because the straight jacket imposed by this idea that good must be pure and untainted is enforced by most DMs.

It is so bad even Wizards of the Coast frequently ignores their own allignment rules.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: May 09, 2013, 07:03:18 am »

Necropost to say that this isn't dead, just on super-hiatus. I'm working on uni and a secret project as well.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 RPG - Made in RPG Maker VX! - On super hiatus!
« Reply #1614 on: May 09, 2013, 07:06:01 am »

Cool.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: May 09, 2013, 07:25:37 am »

This seems like a good as place as any to ask this so: How flexible is RPG Maker VX in terms of customising the system (in terms of the battle screen, how attacks are resolved, etc.)?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: May 09, 2013, 07:28:55 am »

As long as you've passable skill at the scripting language RGSS, or someone who can do it for you, it's near-infinitely flexible. If you're not using scripts, then you can really only use the existing battle screen and options they've given you.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: June 18, 2013, 06:32:07 am »

-Bay 12 RPG, or at least will be as of now, as my exams are finished

WOOOOO

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: June 18, 2013, 09:34:13 am »

-Bay 12 RPG, or at least will be as of now, as my exams are finished

WOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOO~!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: June 18, 2013, 10:02:44 am »

Huzzah!

I still have to finish my sprites, don't I?
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 111