Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick question about Legends  (Read 1419 times)

CaptainPungent

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Quick question about Legends
« on: October 30, 2012, 12:12:16 am »

Hey, new to the forums and fairly new to the game, was reading on the wiki that if you turned Reveal All History off when you generate a world, most of the history in Legends is hidden from you until you discover things in Adventurer mode. Now, I know you can do that in Advanced World Gen (not too interested in messing with that right now), but is that possible through the standard world gen as well? I set SHOW_ALL_HISTORY_IN_DWARF_MODE  to NO in the d_init file, but when I go to Legends it still shows that the Number of Events Undiscovered is still 0. This isn't the biggest deal, but I still find the idea of discovering the world's history by adventuring to be very interesting and am fairly frustrated that I can't get it to work. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Satche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Satche.ch
Re: Quick question about Legends
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 07:43:01 am »

Have you generated a new world after your change in d_init ?

CaptainPungent

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 01:53:29 pm »

I have and it still says 0 historical events left to discover. I've tried generating a new world quite a few times with still the same results.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 05:02:56 pm »

If you'd prefer to leave the history behind every engraving for your adventurers to discover, then set this to NO.

[SHOW_ALL_HISTORY_IN_DWARF_MODE:YES]

Like the file says, if you set it to NO, the only things that change are engravings in dwarf mode. That's useful if you want to discover the historical events behind the engravings in adventurer mode.
If you want to keep the entire history unrevealed, you'll have to change [REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY] in advanced world gen.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 02:30:55 am »

I still find the idea of discovering the world's history by adventuring to be very interesting and am fairly frustrated that I can't get it to work. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

I turn mine off so the engraved walls and floors are readable in fortress mode, not so I can adventure later to uncover the flavor text.  Not sure what others do.  Last I heard, some civ sites, not sure if players is one, were not accessible to explore via adventure mode.  That's something to keep in mind.  Someone else can clear this up. 

Have you played much Adventure mode?  I'm old and holding out until when z, autoexplore, is implemented.  I can't be burdened with these old fingers to move a cartoon about willynilly, anymore.  That has gotta be automated for me, I'm old.  Game Pausing on its own, like Tome4, to make decisions. 

Autoexplore, z, is a major feature and one that puts Tome4 above other Rogues when deciding the best of the best.  If the pathfinding is so good in a game, that the AI can do it most of the time, that game stands out.  Problem with Tome4 is it, gets old...  Yawn.  Not nearly the randomness of DF.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

CaptainPungent

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 10:22:45 am »

Alright, cool stuff, you guys definitely clarified it for me. Thanks for the help, and about ToME4, I can't really get it to work on my computer, buggy as hell, I'll probably mess with it some other time.