Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I hand pick materials?  (Read 476 times)

Morcaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can I hand pick materials?
« on: October 29, 2012, 07:45:44 pm »

I want to make some leather armor out of wolf and Giant eagle leather. When I go to my leatherworks I can "make leather armor" but I can't pick the leather being used, like when you make workshops you can pick limestone or wood etc...

Is there a way to pick certain materials when making clothes and leather items?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Can I hand pick materials?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 07:49:07 pm »

You can link a stockpile to a workshop, and it'll only take from that stockpile. Set that stockpile to only accept exactly the material you want, and have it take from the main stockpile having stuff you want to use.

It's useful for a lot of other workshops that can't have specific materials used.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 07:50:39 pm »

If you're in the latest version (or any version starting from 0.34.08), then you can do this by linking stockpiles to workshops.

Create a leather workshop, and then create a leather stockpile.  Configure the stockpile to accept only the kinds of leather you want.  (I can't recall whether that's actually possible... if it isn't, then quantum dump the kinds of leather you want into the stockpile, and set the stockpile to accept only from links.  Then don't make any links to it.  This will prevent dwarves adding any other leather to it from the outside, while allowing the dumped leather to remain.  I hope.)

Then link the stockpile to the workshop.  This will prevent the workshop from accepting leather from any other place.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Morcaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 08:56:19 pm »

Is linking a stock pile only available in newer the version? I'm currently only useing 40d at the moment because I'am just learning the basics of the game.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 09:00:33 pm »

Only just now learning to play the game is no reason to roll back to previous versions. Quite the opposite, as it is easier to obtain help for the current version, or at least so I have found
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 09:31:34 pm »

You should switch. There are extra options between 40d and 34.11, but the only ones that may trip you up are:

:Evil areas. They're more dangerous now.
:Stone hauling. Dwarves are much slower at hauling chunks of rock around, and you need wheelbarrows, minecarts, or patience.
:The hospital zone's tendency to claim the whole fortress's supply of cloth and thread. You can get around this in various ways, the simplest of which is to set the zone to claim nothing but soap. Once a piece of cloth or thread has been used for dressing or suturing, there's not enough of it to use for workshop tasks, so the only thing you can use it for is healthcare. Hair thread can't be spun into cloth, so if you get some hair from butchering a large herbivore spin that and you don't have to worry about using up all your thread.
:Some animals need to be kept on grass or cave moss, otherwise they starve.
:Military training being much less lethal, but much slower to train from scratch. If you bring the right skills and start full-time training in the first month you can have dwarves who are Competent in several different skills by the end of the year, including the defensive ones that will let them live long enough to become unkillable.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Morcaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 09:33:31 pm »

Only just now learning to play the game is no reason to roll back to previous versions. Quite the opposite, as it is easier to obtain help for the current version, or at least so I have found

You didn't answer my question and stating that i'm using an older version doesn't essentially mean that it's easier for everyone to learn (It is for me by the way to play old versions and learn from the ground up from the first version) but please answer the question and re-frame from going off topic.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 10:04:09 pm »

You didn't answer my question and stating that i'm using an older version doesn't essentially mean that it's easier for everyone to learn (It is for me by the way to play old versions and learn from the ground up from the first version) but please answer the question and re-frame from going off topic.

Since you're using such an old version, pretty much only way to make sure they uses what you want to use them is to use stock screen to forbid all the other leathers. Well, other than keeping specific material stockpile much closer to the workshop, which's not too reliable. Or locking your worker into same room as the material and workshop.

As an aside, it'll be much harder to re-learn how to manage military from 31. onward if you're sticking to 40d or older version for a while.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 10:33:09 pm »

re-frame
Refrain.

Re-frame means 'to frame something again'.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 07:38:59 am »

Is linking a stock pile only available in newer the version?

Quote from: greycat
If you're in the latest version (or any version starting from 0.34.08), then you can do this by linking stockpiles to workshops.

Also:

Quote from: Morcaster
please answer the question and re-frame from going off topic.

Welcome to the Internet, and specifically to discussion forums.  There is no way to prevent topic drift.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 07:43:20 am »

Press (z), then go to the stone screen. Disable all stones you don't want. Stockpile links allow you to make crafts from different stones simultaneously.