Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 42

Author Topic: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort  (Read 47191 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort
« Reply #375 on: December 22, 2012, 06:35:53 pm »

I've designated a new trade depot area. This will have a colossal entrance area complete with ballista battery and steam injection system (this will require a separate aqueduct over the river). Traders will be able to view the Lance of Armok in action through a system of masterwork crystal windows, fortifications, and solid gold shutters (bridges) dug into the side of the mountain.

Given that bridges don't block the flow of fluids, I will try to add in some safety shutters (bridges) to stop things getting in.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 24, 2012, 05:27:40 pm »

Wow, I expected for it to be back to my turn at least before the magma cannon was completed, or, should I say, fuctional.

...Wait, the first lance of Armok? How many do we need? 42?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 24, 2012, 05:32:35 pm »

Don't worry.  I'll probably mess it up enough that you can build a new one.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 24, 2012, 07:27:14 pm »

Wow, I expected for it to be back to my turn at least before the magma cannon was completed, or, should I say, fuctional.

...Wait, the first lance of Armok? How many do we need? 42?

I thought 42 was the number of roads needed in a fort...
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 24, 2012, 07:47:04 pm »

I'm done! Will be adding some pics and save momentarily. Merry Christmas everyone!

Dwarfed Individuals and Modifications:

*Lightningfalcon the legendary miner has been appropriately renamed LightningFalcon II Idabod (Rocksstrike).
*Aesaheru has been redwarfed as a Weaponsmith, Aesaheru II Esisudib (Trotsyrup).
*mastahcheese is dwarfed as a legendary mason, mastahcheese Nilenkos (Hammertaker).
*Scruffy has been redwarfed as the legendary mechanic, Scruffy II Zirilalath (Fireybolt).
*Mr Frog is dwarfed as "Mr Frog" Dodkbufut (Claspedtusks), a farmer and leader of the largest squad in the fortress, drafted to fight against the ratmen.
*Splint is finally dwarfed as "Splint" Dorendakas (Diamondcolor), a skilled swordsdwarf and leader of the largest armed squad in the fortress, as requested on page 1 or so.

This is an elephant leather bound book by CaptainArchmage. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted in red spinel and yellow diamond. It is encircled in bands of oak and gold. It has numerous stains from various fluids. On the cover is an image of CaptainArchmage, the Dwarven Queen Doren Zonnekol, and a landscape. CaptainArchmage is pulling the lever. Doren Zonnekol is making a plaintive gesture. The landscape is on fire, and is melting. The image refers to the testing of the Lance of Armok in the late autumn of 1055. On the reverse side is an image of a squad of dwarves and a massive cavern. The squad is raising the flag of Crafteddreams upon an subterranean hill, and their leader is raising a bright blue sword skywards. The cavern is engulfed in fire and steam. The meaning of the image is unknown. The book is unnaturally warm to touch, and appears to resist all common abuse, including breadcrumbs, syrup stains, and being vomited upon.

With many of the dwarves dedicated to farming now free of their duties for the winter, and the outside river frozen, Captain Archmage assigned them to construct a number of traps to reinforce the entrance against goblin intruders, and keep the denizens of the river out of the new well room. However, this was an easy job given the number of dwarves, and so new grand plans were announced.

A vast new area for an entrance and trade depot was designated for the miners to cut out, along with a hallway beyond the magma river.

The time also came for the squads drafted during the ratman invasions to receive proper gear.
The very best gear Crafteddreams could offer: Steel swords, spears, and axes.

The following production order was given to Aseaheru II's forge on 18th Moonstone:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On 21st of Moonstone, the goblin snatcher, Aslot Ngerxunkuxngul, was splattered on a weapon trap and another, Smunstu Zolakono, was found within the fortress. The hallway ran red with goblin blood as the intruder was trapped between two of Splint's subordinates, Ablel Idshedim (Rocksshadow) wielding an axe and Nil Olinilral (Tongstreaty) with the sword. Zuglar Claspblades was rescued again, and another giant caver spider silk bag was added to the inventory. The number of attempted snatchings prompted CaptainArchmage to order the further armament of the fortress, handing Mr Frog a steel battle axe fresh from the forges.

24th Moonstone: Captain Archmage's Fortress Log

Today, the mayor stormed into my room and ordered a ban on all export of red spinel items. Since I wasn't planning on exporting a good source of red window material I have no problem accommodating this request.

As we have a larger animal population, I have ordered the brewing some of our plump helmets into wine.

On 24th Moonstone, an edict was published by Mayor Tosid Anildodok (Gloryclasp) forbidding the export of red spinel items.

1st Moonstone, 1055: Monthly Report by Captain Archmage

Today, the bone carvers finally made enough fucking greaves to fulfil the Trade Minister's mandate. Did I mention they're made out of fucking ratman bones and look fucking badass? I'm going to need to move our fucking bone and shell supplies inside, but its proving fucking hard to locate a fucking place where they can be fucking stored for an extended period of fucking time without producing a fucking vile stench. I've designated some fucking multi-purpose storage and workshop space within what will no longer be the fucking main entrance area following the completion of the other part of the fortress, and have fucking delayed the construction of the new entrance.

Fuck you haulers, the fucking armor stockpile is right there. Right next to the fucking craftdwarf's shop. You don't have to take it all the way across the fucking fortress into the depths.

During midwinter, harassment from the monkeys - rhesus macaques - made it nearly impossible for dwarves to go outside without interruption. Work on the southern expansion, however, was completed rapidly, and the miner Peregarette had finished work on a mysterious excavation beyond the lava river. A large gate was designated within the barrel of the Lance of Armok, which could be raised to allow molten rock to pass but block access to any invaders.

Captain Archmage's Fortress Log, 15th Opal 1055

The Trade Minister wanted a bucket, so I had San Diego III make a gold bucket for general fortress use. Its not like the gold was being used for anything.

The workrooms and storage are nearly finished now, so I've designated a proper wood stockpile. In the future we'd want to smooth the walls and floors but it will be sufficient for now. Once the miners are done with the area for storing bone, shells, and other such materials they'll return to digging out the new entrance.

The following report is apparently from Captain Archmage, but written in a reddish substance.
24th Opal 1055

My tomb is finally complete. As with the rest of the fortress, it should be smoothed in time but all that should be for now has now been set into motion~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(a long smear of the reddish substance ends the entry)

Captain Archmage's Fortress Journal Entry, 24th Obsidian 1055

The Lance of Armok is now sealed to intruders from the outside. The lever is in my bedroom, as usual. Scruffy II is now working on linking up another lever to seal off the barrel from whatever lives in the river of molten rock.

One of our metalsmiths, Tosid igamathel (Gorgeringed) has taken over the magma forge and is particularly secretive. She will need more gold nuggets, and I've designated them for mining. However, the miners may not get to them until they finish digging out the new trade depot area.

With the arrival of Spring, CaptainArchmage passed the leadership of the fortress on to LightningFalcon in order to work on other things. What can the future have in store?

Spring Report, 1st Granite 1056 by Captain Archmage

The fortress of Crafteddreams has undergone major developments and advancements in the past year, including the completion of the
LANCE OF ARMOK
(this is written in a reddish fluid, and in a slightly different hand to the rest of the report)

This is the status report for the 1st of Granite.

LightningFalcon II should be aware that the fortress is under a "only soldiers go outside order" and that there's a strange mood in progress where gold nuggets are needed.

Below is a map of the fortress:

And here's a map of the fortress with annotations (i.e. what levers do, expansions to the fortress, etc.):

Bonus: Lance of Armok Test Photographs (or engravings) and Scientific Data:

Download Link (save files only): http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7253
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 08:58:00 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 24, 2012, 08:53:40 pm »

Spoiler: Journal of Mr Frog (click to show/hide)

E: I lol'd heavily at the random lever of indeterminate purpose sitting at the bottom of the map.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 09:20:30 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 24, 2012, 09:00:47 pm »

Spoiler: Journal of Mr Frog (click to show/hide)

During the spring and summer (can't quite remember whether you arrived in the migrant wave or not) you were involved in some of the big battles involving ratmen, as the leader of an unarmed squad. Once the steel weaponry became available, you got it.

I don't have much to say about the state of the military and fortress guard. In this version there are some serious threats from within the fortress, which require a well-equiped militia to handle. However, the combat handles differently from DF2012, and I think its easier for dwarves to splatter enemies in this version.

Also, everything's been uploaded now. I think.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 24, 2012, 09:02:50 pm »

@Cappy:

Ah, okay. I'll change the journal to reflect that, then.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 24, 2012, 09:08:27 pm »

E: I lol'd heavily at the random lever of indeterminate purpose sitting at the bottom of the map.

Let me rephrase that: random lever of indeterminate purpose sitting at the bottom of the map that will probably raise a drawbridge when pulled... or collapse some supports.

There's actually another lever in an isolated room with indeterminate purpose. Either lever could raise a drawbridge, dumping a few dwarves into the cave river, or collapse supports.

You don't want to pull the lever to the gold drawbridge unless you can avoid getting dwarves crushed. I was going to dismantle it (pending completion of the "fuck the cave river" magma projection) but it never happened.

The plan with the trade depot windows was to arrange them as in the mayor's rooms. The walls against which the windows were set were supposed to be engraved with fortifications to allow the merchants within to actually view the devastation of the landscape from relative safety (magma hasn't gone through any fortifications thus far - the catapult is still there).

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 24, 2012, 09:18:02 pm »

Journal updated; hopefully I didn't accidentally introduce any glaring errors.

Let me rephrase that: random lever of indeterminate purpose sitting at the bottom of the map that will probably raise a drawbridge when pulled... or collapse some supports.

I always get kind of irritated when people fail to properly document what they're doing in succession forts, but as long as it eventually results in hilarious lever-related gaffes I'm willing to deal with it.

E: inb4 "but Mr Frog, I did document what that lever does, here's a quote proving it".

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 24, 2012, 09:24:54 pm »

Is this some sort of conspiracy?  Have me need to download a save file when I just got a gift card for Steam? 
I should be able to hopefully download this soon.  After I get Half Life 2 downloaded. 

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #386 on: December 24, 2012, 09:32:29 pm »

Regarding the pile of turtle shells at the upper-left corner of the map, I suspect it's the remnants of any turtles you brought during embark - since they were never removed from their barrels, their coordinates never got set, so when they wore away to nothing (over the course of several years) the code tried to look up their position and failed (should've looked up the position of their container, but it didn't) and ended up with 0,0,0 (i..e upper left corner of the map).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 25, 2012, 01:56:44 pm »

Is this some sort of conspiracy?  Have me need to download a save file when I just got a gift card for Steam? 
I should be able to hopefully download this soon.  After I get Half Life 2 downloaded.

Very well, its not like we can complain. The last turn took some time.

Regarding the pile of turtle shells at the upper-left corner of the map, I suspect it's the remnants of any turtles you brought during embark - since they were never removed from their barrels, their coordinates never got set, so when they wore away to nothing (over the course of several years) the code tried to look up their position and failed (should've looked up the position of their container, but it didn't) and ended up with 0,0,0 (i..e upper left corner of the map).

If you have dwarves collect trash from outside (orders) and bring it indoors (stockpile has been designated) it might help with strange moods.

The undocumented levers were there when I started the embark. I gave you the narrow range of possibilities of what the levers might do - they will probably open a floodgate connected to the magma from the magma river, or retract or raise a bridge, or collapse a support, or do nothing (if the things they were connected to were dismantled).

You'll need to build an outside depot before the humans come to get their wagons, since the new inside area requires a lot of work. I put in a big order of stuff by the way... such as food, leather, and important supplies.

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 25, 2012, 06:35:48 pm »

Muwahahaha! My plan to annoy everyone by making the download multiple things at once is coming to...

uh...

I mean, that's horrible. I hope you can download soon.
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 25, 2012, 10:06:59 pm »

Crap... what else will I be needing to download?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 42