Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 42

Author Topic: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort  (Read 47227 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort
« Reply #330 on: December 15, 2012, 12:55:30 pm »

wait, what did i do?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 15, 2012, 12:57:04 pm »

You were at one time crazy cat dwarf of the fortress.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 15, 2012, 01:01:39 pm »

your point?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 15, 2012, 06:36:23 pm »

We have a migration wave! Population is up to 73 now.

We also got a bunch of new nobles. I don't think all the new accommodation is ready but its been planned out. Also, the fortress guard has been created!

I have yet to make any clear or crystal glass. I will make one of each when I have the pearlash ready.

Migrant Noble List:
Tosid Gloryclasp, Mayor
Mafol Tombsnakes, Masons Guild Representative
Tun Whispertongs, Manager
Kol Helmlightnings, Trade Minister

New Rooms are needed. Additionally, the Captain of the Guard needs an upgrade now.

So guys, is it socially acceptable to dwarf someone as a noble in the 2D version?

Edit: Wow, I was looking at the civilisations list. Apparently the leader of the kobold civilisation is an elite bowman.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 06:47:50 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 15, 2012, 09:08:00 pm »

Ah, a whole bunch of nobles cannon ammunition. How wonderful.
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 16, 2012, 06:29:19 am »

A little word on the fortress guard - you might want to consider NOT to arm them in order to decrease mortality among criminals.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 16, 2012, 07:24:44 am »

A little word on the fortress guard - you might want to consider NOT to arm them in order to decrease mortality among criminals.

Are you saying that the guards are darn good at what they do, or are you suggesting that they'd be better at wrestling?
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 16, 2012, 07:39:35 am »

I'm saying, that fortress guard delivers beating as punishment (usually some random dude blamed for not fulfilling baron's "make 3 black bronze toys" mandate) using whatever weapon they happen to carry right now. If they carry no weapon, they just slap the poor fella few times; if they carry a battleaxe, you just lost your legendary metalsmith. Just sayin'.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #338 on: December 16, 2012, 08:40:41 am »

I'm saying, that fortress guard delivers beating as punishment using whatever weapon they happen to carry right now.
Er, wrong - up through version 0.28.181.40d, beatings are always performed unarmed.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 16, 2012, 09:06:57 am »

Huh? I guess my I had my knowledge mixed up. Nevermind then. So this is the "dump Hamerrer's hammer" version, right?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 16, 2012, 11:39:56 am »

I'm saying, that fortress guard delivers beating as punishment (usually some random dude blamed for not fulfilling baron's "make 3 black bronze toys" mandate) using whatever weapon they happen to carry right now. If they carry no weapon, they just slap the poor fella few times; if they carry a battleaxe, you just lost your legendary metalsmith. Just sayin'.

In this version, legendary dwarves are exempt from both the law and the economy in the same way as certain nobles. That's what I've gotten from some sources at least; the legal immunity thing got broken in DF2010 onwards.

In other news, is there any way to make the game window a lot bigger whilst using the same font size (and without scaling the said font size)?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 11:49:38 am by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 16, 2012, 12:04:02 pm »

You can change the game window size through init, but there are only two font types (the default one and 800x600 one), so if you enlarge the window too much it will start to look weird.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 16, 2012, 12:09:30 pm »

You can change the game window size through init, but there are only two font types (the default one and 800x600 one), so if you enlarge the window too much it will start to look weird.

Correction: I meant whether its possible to show more of the map. I'm used to seeing a lot of different tiles on the map and taking in a good deal of the fortress.

The current situation is dealing with the migrants. The mayor and at least one other noble may be sharing what seems to be the future Baron's room, and some of the military has been re-arranged. We have one whole new squad of three, Limulvolalizeg "The Golden White Apes" under Doren Geardworker, a swordsdwarf. The marksdwarf squad "The Helmed Eternal Cloister" under Kadol Gatetests has been increased in size by one. We also have a speardwarf, Ral Flamemirror, under "The Gloved Oars". I really want to make her a commander of a squad. The peasants have been ordered to get farming, and the miners have been told not to bother with hauling stuff around and carve out some more rooms for the nobles.

The diagrams from Captain Archmage appear to indicate the excavation of a whole new town, complete with food storage, in the direction opposite from the long channels carved out (if the bottom of the map were "South", it would be "to the south of the main fortress". Based on my extremely limited experience with the 2D version, this is not necessarily the case.). They also indicate that the marksdwarf squad should move to the Chasm barracks to prevent more trouble happening in there whilst the place gets floored over. The new swordsdwarf squad will be defending the aqueduct zones.

Update: Another colossal ratman ambush in the chasm barracks. This is getting really serious now and doors have been ordered on all the entrances to areas open to the chasm. Because of the absence of military dwarves, another squad had to be formed. Orders have been given to stop dumping items into the chasm until we get this sorted out.

Update 2: Yet another ratman ambush hit the long array of channels. No casualties; the new swordsdwarves successfully defended. Doors will be installed as soon as possible. Also the craftsdwarf may be going insane soon if we don't get the stuff he needs. A kiln has been designated but nobody seems to be building it.

Update 3: The craftsdwarf went berserk. Because of some crazy things with the supply chain, Captain Archmage deactivated all the bar stockpiles to stop fuel, ash, and potash from being transported to the very ends of the fortress. No casualties were had from the berserk dwarf besides said berserk dwarf.

(If people want, I can play around with a backup save with invasions off to see exactly what the dwarf wanted.)

The draft milita were told to stand down to increase the civilian population. The miners have been busy carving out new accommodation. Doors have been placed on the pipes so hopefully nothing will get in.

Update 4: Food has really run out, but the farms are now actually producing some. We may also cook some of the fat we have to increase food supplies. Supplementary meat has been obtained from the kittens. The miners have finished with the mayor's new house, moving in as of now. I've designed the mayor's residence to allow the incorporation of windows, which when combined with a fortification will allow viewing of the street outside). A new dining hall is now under construction, and we've hit a large quantity of galena. This will yield us a good deal of lead and silver.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 02:37:59 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #343 on: December 16, 2012, 04:09:47 pm »

So this is the "dump Hammerer's hammer" version, right?
Most likely, yes, though it'd be "chasm the Hammerer's hammer". He might go and get a new one, though, when ordered to hammer somebody.

In other news, is there any way to make the game window a lot bigger whilst using the same font size (and without scaling the said font size)?
The grid size in this version is fixed at 80x25 and cannot be increased by any means (the data structures that hold the graphics buffers don't have room for anything larger). If you want to see more of the map at once, you'll have to wait until DFHack-23a is further refined and Stonesense support becomes feasible.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 16, 2012, 07:44:03 pm »

Well, after my long absence, I'm back, and I tried to update the main page with what all happened, but simply to much has happened for me to reliably update junk like every dwarf in the fort, so I'll just leave that the way it is, and when my turn comes back after LightningFalcon plays his turn, and then overhaul the whole look of it to make it simpler for the large masses of dwarves we have now.

As for everything thats been happing, this is hilarious, and I can't wait to get back to my turn.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 42