Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 42

Author Topic: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort  (Read 47185 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort
« Reply #360 on: December 20, 2012, 02:34:29 pm »

Hope you like lava little.... Holy shit that's alot of lava.

To avoid the problem of the "lava waves", I let the entire map flood with lava. Also to properly test the lava cannon, you have to let the thing flood the whole map.

Next steps will be flooding the coolant barrel and purge the lava cannon with water. Because of bugs in the game, this is really the only way I can build bridges over the cannon.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 03:11:38 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 20, 2012, 03:45:18 pm »

now you need to build a area caravans can enter.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 20, 2012, 03:50:24 pm »

now you need to build a area caravans can enter.

Here's what I can do:

I can use Quietust's method for removing channels to try to get rid of the offending channel.

Alternatively, I can flood the channel with water and build a new drawbridge over it. I won't be able to siphon the water off from the Lance of Armok, however, since there's a catapult outpost in the way. The advantage of having a water moat, however, is I might be able to fill the area with steam by applying lava. Not that it will be much more effective unless I make another lava pipe.

In any case I'll have to empty the map of lava before I deal with the channels.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 20, 2012, 03:52:46 pm »

lets do so!
(WOO!)
Highly Opinionated Fool

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 20, 2012, 04:05:03 pm »

This journal seems to be chronicalling a traveller after thier work in Crafteddreams. Portions appear burnt, though since there journal is still tangible it was probably from camp fire. Some wiritng on this page is blackened and smudged and you begin reading where you can. These entries are strangly devoid of dates, and instead seperate by only a single line.

... ast our country's flag still flies over Crafteddreams. That means the subverssives have either been eliminated or made thier move, failed, and reintegrated or fled. No matter.

-

I almost got cooked alive today when the fortress was testing out a weapon that had been designed by several loyalists for repelling goblins. It was a marvel in the old legends of Koganusan and several other fortresses, and undoubtedly the seperatists planned on using it but failed.

-

I managed to creep in and purchase some food with coins I pilfered from town some distance from here.  After asking around and doing alittle stalking, I've found the one who attempted several acts of sabotage and incrimmination was Corai. I have yet to find him but when I come back ina few months or weeks, I'll throttle him if I see him.

-

I sat in a speech today and quite frankly this Captain is quite the orator. He certainly managed to incense the crowd of loyal dwarves. I'm going to climb up the mountain and sit things out, if only to avoid being flash-fried again like last time. It'll make purchase of food and drink easier as well, but I don't trust the populous enough to stay in the settlement itself, though if I am called upon again, I'll find a reliable messanger to bring my orders down to them.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 20, 2012, 05:21:49 pm »

Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!
Although, on the music part, you need a little more Dvořák (yes, that par that Jaws shamelessly stole): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yctfXIqugXc

EDIT: on a more sober note - happy new b'ak'tun!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 06:04:31 pm by SanDiego »
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 20, 2012, 06:46:14 pm »

Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!
Although, on the music part, you need a little more Dvořák (yes, that par that Jaws shamelessly stole): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yctfXIqugXc

EDIT: on a more sober note - happy new b'ak'tun!

That's on the 22nd, actually.

The other option I was going to suggest was the Ride of the Valkyries... but that could also be the military theme for one of the squads.

Edit: The 13th Bak'tun apparently ends at 11:11 UTC on December 21st, according to the internet (and possibly science). That is 1 minute before the solstice, according to the Internet and science.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 08:17:44 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #367 on: December 21, 2012, 08:50:43 am »

I've checked through the units list and the outpost liason is not listed among the dead. If the liason loses his or her title in this version upon death, though, it could be any one of the unnamed dead dwarves. We didn't get the liason with the caravan and one does not show up in the units list.
In this version, "Outpost Liaison" is an actual profession, so it will not disappear upon the unit's death, so if it's not in the unit list, it should still be alive. Why it didn't show up with the caravan is anybody's guess, though; the next time a savegame is posted, I will analyze it and try to figure out where the liaison went.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 21, 2012, 03:44:22 pm »

In this version, "Outpost Liaison" is an actual profession, so it will not disappear upon the unit's death, so if it's not in the unit list, it should still be alive. Why it didn't show up with the caravan is anybody's guess, though; the next time a savegame is posted, I will analyze it and try to figure out where the liaison went.

Was this also the case in 40d? I started with DF2010.

Also Happy New B'aktun! I'm going to start draining the lava from the landscape now.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #369 on: December 21, 2012, 04:39:11 pm »

Was this also the case in 40d?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d:Unit_type_token
80    OUTPOSTLIAISON    Outpost liaison

Yes.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 21, 2012, 06:09:04 pm »

Following the test of the Lance of Armok, the floodgates to the outside world were shut and and the barrel of the weapon drained. The lava withdrew from the landscape, leaving behind a charred plain of ash. For whatever reason, the trees were found to be unharmed. Captain Archmage resumed writing seasonal reports whilst continuing the construction of the "coolant system" and ordering the further expansion of Crafteddreams beyond the magma river...

Journal of the Archmagus, 11th Moonstone 1055

It is done; the first Lance of Armok has been built and tested. During the past few months, I have worked day and night designing this machine. It is not everything I plan to do, however. The fortress of Crafteddreams has improved greatly in terms of population, safety, and space, but it is insufficient. We need proper rooms for workshops and better defences around the cave river. We will also begin our expansion of the fortress beyond the magma river, which became possible through the completion of the steel bridge across it.

I've ordered the Lance of Armok to be completely drained of its contents. Once a floodgate is connected up, I shall have it flooded with water in order to allow our architects to design bridges to cross it and allow the expansion of the fortress in its direction, even when the device is filled with magma. Some farms will be dug out beyond the chasm, and these will draw water from the channel. It will also be possible to build a steel aqueduct across the magma river to supply the area with water for irrigation.

We're going to have more wells built in the new dining room, protected by proper traps with iron-bladed weapons. As our population seems satisfied with the old dining room, I may instead designate the place as a well room instead.

A channel was dug in the entrance to prevent the flooding of the fortress with magma; the bridge was apparently permeable to the substance. This also means the golden gate beyond the cave river is not a sufficient obstacle to the seasonal flooding or to magma in case of accidents; I will attempt to fix this and have the golden bridges used in more appropriate parts of the fortress.

We also have a supply problem with sand. Our glassmakers collect sand from the banks of the cave river, when it is needed at the magma glass furnace, and that is a long walk. The mayor's green glass windows - which I have ordered installed in order to prove the usefulness of glass windows underground - are taking a very long time to manufacture.

Before the testing of the Lance of Armok, we had some problems with goblins getting in the fortress. I think we need a proper guard at the entrance, and some proper traps too.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 21, 2012, 08:06:46 pm »

trap-lined hallway for merchants, surrounded by lava. you use the path or you burn.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 21, 2012, 08:35:12 pm »

Things are looking interesting and rather dwarven. The outside has a nice red color.

Also:
Can I get a turn?
Dwarf me as Scruffy
Mind adding me to the list?
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 21, 2012, 09:32:15 pm »

trap-lined hallway for merchants, surrounded by lava. you use the path or you burn.

Quite a few delays have happened with the continuation of the save, but as it happens, they've made everything happen the way it was meant to happen - in fact, we managed to improve on the Mayans. Apocalypse? We made a lava cannon, flooded the whole region, and survived. We even tested it in an incomplete state, without the coolant safety system and its emergency steam reliefs.

There's a plan to allow magma to be diverted into the river area if there's ever such a need. I just need one more floodgate linked up before I can order the aqueducts. We'll drain the entire length of the Lance of Armok and fill it with water, so we can build bridges to the north. This massive machine is so great we're even going to make our population cross it in their walk from the workshop to the dining hall.

I've read on the wiki that in this version, gold will be destroyed by magma so I'll have to replace the gold drawbridge with something else. Right after I deal with the entrance being totally undefended. In fact, that's so bad I'm ordering our fisherdwarves to build our traps.

Edit: Apparently, because the ten or more dwarves who were farming and fishing in the other seasons now don't have anything to farm, or much to fish, we can get a lot of dwarves to do the stuff we didn't do in other seasons. There's a one-line row of weapon traps at the entrance but I think we need more. I'm ordering more weapons now, made out of steel. These traps need more blades.

I'm also going to try out the "removing channel" thing right now. If that works I will place the trade depot deeper inside the fortress and put a moat.

To get the lava into the right area, I may need to build another aqueduct over the river. You can see from the fortress image that the Lance of Armok doesn't have any channels after the cave river.

If I had the choice, I'd completely redo the entrance. Personally, I liked the Boatmurdered entrance because doors actually hold back floods. Then Boatmurdered had a vast array of channels where we have the trade depot, and the trade depot there was outside, and I want the merchants to be inside, and have clear glass window looking outwards. That way they get to witness the power of the Lance of Armok in action.

Edit2: Apparently I can't designate a channel over a channel, even if its larger. I also cannot "remove" the channel building. Nevermind, I designated a channel next to it and then cancelled the designation. The channel is still there on the ground, but not as a building. Can I get rid of the channel floor permanently now?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 09:49:14 pm by CaptainArchmage »

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 22, 2012, 08:13:05 am »

Can I get a turn?
Dwarf me as Scruffy
Mind adding me to the list?
Eh, you kinda... died on my turn :-\ You got possessed and requested yellow diamonds, which ended predictably (you were cut up by our militia).
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 42