Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 42

Author Topic: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort  (Read 47184 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort
« Reply #345 on: December 17, 2012, 03:41:46 pm »

Well, after my long absence, I'm back, and I tried to update the main page with what all happened, but simply to much has happened for me to reliably update junk like every dwarf in the fort, so I'll just leave that the way it is, and when my turn comes back after LightningFalcon plays his turn, and then overhaul the whole look of it to make it simpler for the large masses of dwarves we have now.

As for everything thats been happing, this is hilarious, and I can't wait to get back to my turn.

I played for a bit more, but the game crashed. Not sure why; one of the aqueducts over the chasm got finished and I was going to set up some solid gold drawbridges on either side to stop invaders getting through. And provide them a grand entrance to a critical part of the fortress. We didn't lose much progress though.

When I stopped allowing items to be dumped into the chasm, the attacks stopped. I think this should be the way to restart them once we're in an appropriate position.

I confirmed that the sides of the aqueduct aren't solid for creatures when dwarves were able to stand on the said tiles.

We have a lot of gold bars, so when playing this back through I'll have more stuff made out of the material.

The fortress is practically out of food, but there is a basic level of plump helmet production from the farm, and there is fat to spare. I think we may need to eat some of the animals and have something prepared to trade with the humans.

OK, here's a list of those who were dwarf'd when I started my turn:

Captain Archmage (Carpenter)
Pitchblende (legendary miner)
Lightningfalcon (miner)
Peregarrett (Mason)
Corai (Mason)
SanDiego III (Metalsmith)

Also, two requests for Quietust or whoever is working on DFhack for 23a: Can you possibly include a command or function to remove channels from the map please? Additionally, would you be able to provide a "forbid" function for this version as it is missing?

Not expecting those to be written right away as I know it takes time.

As to stonesense, I was thinking of an ASCII viewer so I could take in more of the fortress. I wasn't demanding 3D. The idea is something like witnessing the full scale lava flooding.

Speaking of lava flooding, CaptainArchmage's latest designs provide for a maintenance duct running along the length of the channels.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 03:58:10 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 17, 2012, 05:30:15 pm »

Food problems? What? Dude, I left you with severeal metric fucktons of food, what the hell happened?
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #347 on: December 17, 2012, 05:46:52 pm »

Also, two requests for Quietust or whoever is working on DFhack for 23a: Can you possibly include a command or function to remove channels from the map please? Additionally, would you be able to provide a "forbid" function for this version as it is missing?
I already have a standalone "forbid" tool (which also supports Melt, but that part seems prone to crashing) which should work mostly okay; one problem is that DFHack-23a currently has no support for custom keybindings.

As for removing channels, you can use the tiletypes command to do that once you destroy the "channel" building (as I recall, you can either flood it with water OR build a new large channel next to it and cancel it partway through construction) - "paint shape FLOOR" should be enough to convert channels to rough floors of the same color.

Food problems? What? Dude, I left you with severeal metric fucktons of food, what the hell happened?
I'm suddenly reminded of this exchange from the saga of Boatmurdered (Update 7):
Quote from: Keyboard Fox
Dude! We have FIVE METRIC FUCKTONS of prepared food! We're not low on food!
Quote from: Locus
Oh. Prepared food? So these are some kind of dainty fancypants dwarves that don't sit in the dark and gnaw on cold mushrooms?

That seems undwarflike.
Quote from: TouretteDog
It's dwarf bread, man. The cat peed on it, and it doubles as a lethal throwing weapon.
Quote from: Locus
That makes sense. I bet it menaces with spikes of bread too.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 17, 2012, 07:24:29 pm »

Hell yeah we did! But we haven't got a book-keeper to provide a stocks menu. Also it got eaten. Also I think fat has to be cooked.

We've also got no booze.

I'm suddenly reminded of this exchange from the saga of Boatmurdered (Update 7):
Quote from: Keyboard Fox
Dude! We have FIVE METRIC FUCKTONS of prepared food! We're not low on food!

If you want to make this Boatmurdered-orientated, our mayor likes red spinel so red spinel mandates are an option. We're also building a lava cannon.

As to the tiletype thing and DFhack, I may try to get my hands on an operational windows computer (emphasis on operational) to try this out. I may try it anyway if there are more crashes. I suspect the crashes might be to do with the human caravan's arrival but I'm not certain. If it is the human caravan's arrival, it will not be the first time I've had caravans (specifically caravan wagons) causing crashes (also happened to me on modded DF2012 0.34.11). It sure is useful to be able to get rid of channels, since they tend to cause problems with rebuilding wells and floodgates (on that note, are the "dwarf stuck in well" and "dwarf stuck over smelter magma tile" bugs patched?).

One other thing I just noticed: I'd made a backup copy from Spring and moved it to a folder - both the folder and the file (for some reason there are two). I renamed the ones in-use Crafteddreams (the folder) and Crafteddream.sav (the file). Now I have a third folder "region2" with a duplicate of one of the files in Crafteddreams. Is this bad?

Update (saved the game, so I assume without massive accident this is how things will be): Captain Archmage has ordered two doors and a gold drawbridge built at the entrance to the deeper fortress. Some additional accommodation has been designated for skilled craftsdwarves. The manager finally has his rooms, attached to the future Baron's throne room.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:20:21 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 17, 2012, 08:32:23 pm »

Fixed the crash. I think.

Here's what happened: The original files were named "region2" now apparently, by naming the save files "Crafteddreams" the other folder, named "region2", contained the up-to-date file for the wagons (absolutely no confirmation but inference here). This caused a crash with "unit file corrupted". I fixed the names on the folders and replaced the "unit2-849.dat" file with the one from the region2 folder that had come into existence.

We now have a human caravan on the map, and a merchant baroness has arrived.

Saved the game and confirmed no new folders have come into existence. I think the crisis has been averted.

Overview of trading with the humans:
A bunch of imported clothing was sold.
A bunch of bone crafts were sold.
Some of the loose iron bolts were sold.
Some hungry dwarves grabbed stuff from the depot.
We bought everything the humans had with them. We finally have some booze and food now!

The solid gold drawbridge has also been finished.

Update: Its getting near autumn now, and an opening has been dug in the cliff face. A while ago, two floodgates were ordered built; the miner responsible for placing the one near the cave river has not been heard from since.

Once again, the fortress is getting low on food. Hopefully, the produce from the additional farms on the banks of the cave river will be sufficient to allow the fortress to carry on.

Update 2: It is now autumn: There was a cave-in in some of the new accommodation, but no one was hurt. Captain Archmage is back in society, but not participating beyond making some barrels and cutting down the trees. A room was hurriedly constructed and two levers added, and ordered engraved. Orders were given to attach the said levers up to two floodgates in one of the channels. What can this mean?

Steel and gold production has resumed, along with the forging of battleaxes, and some green glass windows are being made. Food supplies are now steadily rising, and Crafteddreams awaits the Autumn caravan. Also one of the engravers got possessed and is making something from Onyx (construction in progress!). What can it be?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:13:39 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #350 on: December 17, 2012, 10:52:38 pm »

You CANNOT rename save folders in version 0.23.130.23a, ever - the .dat/.sav file contains an internal reference to the region number (i.e. even if you rename it to region1.sav, it'll continue to look in the "region2" folder and will save to "region2.sav"), and changing it outside of DF is very much non-trivial (you'd have to parse through a whole bunch of data structures before you even got to it). I may be able to make a DFHack plugin to allow it, though, since modifying it in-memory is simple enough (along with renaming all of the other files).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:54:37 pm by Quietust »
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 17, 2012, 10:59:26 pm »

You CANNOT rename save folders in version 0.23.130.23a, ever - the .dat/.sav file contains an internal reference to the region number (i.e. even if you rename it to region1.sav, it'll continue to look in the "region2" folder and will save to "region2.sav"), and changing it outside of DF is very much non-trivial (you'd have to parse through a whole bunch of data structures before you even got to it). I may be able to make a DFHack plugin to allow it, though, since modifying it in-memory is simple enough (along with renaming all of the other files).

Got it - so far things are working fine.

We'll likely have to wait until after the autumn caravan to test out the constructions, and some levers need to be connected up properly.

Update: Well the miner is free, stupid ass had himself sitting behind a floodgate before someone finally linked it up to a lever in Captain Archmage's new bedroom.

(Fun note: Apparently if dwarves stop linking something to a lever to drink or something, they have to start over from the beginning. Eventually when the final linkage to the lever was ongoing I locked the dwarf in there until done.)

Update 2: Its done, both levers in Captain Archmage's Room have been connected to floodgates. The final aqueduct across the river is under construction... and a great number of doors have been locked.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 11:35:20 pm by CaptainArchmage »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 18, 2012, 12:52:02 am »

both levers in Captain Archmage's Room have been connected to floodgates.
Does this mean you have a personal doomsday device in your room now?
Shouldn't everyone get one of those?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 18, 2012, 06:30:47 am »

Hell yeah we did! But we haven't got a book-keeper to provide a stocks menu. Also it got eaten. Also I think fat has to be cooked.

We've also got no booze.
Hmm, weird. I literally ran the kitchens round the clock, preparing meals and rendering fat. Guess we have too low mortality rate :P With the booze, I know. I started winter with ~200 units of booze, nearly running dry by spring. Also, the extended shores around the river can be easily used for some emergency nile-style farms.
---
Also, just to be sure I requested another turn but it hasn't been yet written in the first post.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 18, 2012, 06:37:23 pm »

Also, just to be sure I requested another turn but it hasn't been yet written in the first post.
Just fixed it, thanks for reminding me.

EDIT: Ok, just changed the main page to only show the dorf'd, when LightningFalcon's turn is up and hands off to the next person, I'll take a look at the save and update the page with what seems necassary/relavent, and go from there.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 06:47:10 pm by mastahcheese »
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 19, 2012, 07:48:17 pm »

=======MAJOR UPDATE=======

The dwarven caravan has come and gone, with the entire contents purchased.

The final aqueduct over the river has been completed, and an order has been given for all dwarves to withdraw inside the fortress...

In other news, Captain Archmage has been babbling about testing "going ahead without the coolant system completed" as soon as the dwarven caravan has left the region.

(Hey guys, what happened to the Outpost Liason? Was there an accident and if so, will it be possible to DFhack a replacement in this version?)

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 20, 2012, 07:37:45 am »

I swear I didn't hurt him! Check the list of dead guys, if he is really there, we're kinda screwed.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #357 on: December 20, 2012, 09:07:17 am »

The outpost liaison isn't vital in this version - all he does is allow you to request that additional picks, anvils, and plump helmet spawn be brought with the next caravan.

If you can confirm that the liaison is dead and post a savefile, I might be able to put together a Lua script to resurrect him; hopefully, it won't mess up whatever meeting he was going to attend.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 20, 2012, 02:19:01 pm »

About the fifth hour of the morning of Timber 26th of the year 1055, a vast surge of molten rock spewed forth from a channel cut into the side of the mountain holding the dwarven fortress of Crafteddreams, incinerating the landscape surrounding the fortress for miles around. The traders who had left the fortress a few days earlier witnessed the fire and were subject to the fierce heat even miles away, and reported to event to the Dwarven Mountainhome. The news about the terrifying new dwarven invention was quick to pass around the world.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Front page of The Dungeon
(major newspaper of The Helmed Plague of Servants, a major goblin civilization)
ASLOT NUTSUBU SAYS DWARVES HAVE LAVA SUPERWEAPON
Goblin leader urges military action to prevent "red tide" from engulfing entire world.

One hour after the testing of "Project Sankis Gattenbomrek", Captain Archmage addressed the citizens of Crafteddreams within the dining hall, surrounded by the great Militiadwarves who had defended the fortress and tunnels from ratman attacks over the past few months. No longer in the delirious state of the past few months, her eyes burned red as she delivered the speech.

During the speech, the anthem of Crafteddreams is played.
It sounds something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K82bvaAMemA

Citizens of Crafteddreams and of the Dwarven Empire, "The Paper of Moths":
Today we have tested the greatest creation in the present age, the Lance of Armok.
This great weapon is capable of the obliteration of many armies and the incineration of many square miles of land.
Many months of work have been expended in order to construct this machine, which is representative of our ingenuity and determination.
Our engineers shall spend the next few weeks optimizing the weapons' performance, for there is far more to be achieved.
Armed with this device, armed with these machines, we shall never have to fear invasion or conquest...
EVER AGAIN.
Those armies sent against us by the goblins to lay our fortresses waste...
THEY SHALL DISSOLVE INTO ASHES, NEVER TO CLAIM A SINGLE DWARVEN LIFE.
The cavalry of the elves, sent to slay our people for their quaint morality...
THEY SHALL BURN LIKE THE VERY TREES AROUND THEM.
The legions of the humans, who seek to destroy us for the very stupidity of their ambassadors...
THEY SHALL MELT LIKE THE ORE IN OUR GREAT FORGES.
And... the kobolds, who seek to pilfer our very own artefacts...
THEY SHALL BE CONSUMED BY THE BURNING CREATIONS OF OUR PEOPLE
ALL HAIL CRAFTEDDREAMS!

The room filled with thunderous applause and cries of "ALL HAIL CRAFTEDDREAMS!"

Now onto the other important stuff. I've checked through the units list and the outpost liason is not listed among the dead. If the liason loses his or her title in this version upon death, though, it could be any one of the unnamed dead dwarves. We didn't get the liason with the caravan and one does not show up in the units list.

If people have alternative choices for the Crafteddreams anthem, they should say so. Also, please tell me if posting youtube links is frowned upon here for one reason or other.

You can see the development and proposed development of Crafteddreams on the image dump; the long tunnel cut "south" of the lava cannon is intended to carry water. We've also completely covered the chasm barracks (need to install levers to raise the drawbridges on the sides) and have built a bridge across the magma flow (this took eight steel bars to make). The mayor's house is slowly accumulating green glass windows just because I felt like it.

I cut a channel into the entrance to hold back the lava flow in case of accidents. As can be seen, a raised drawbridge does not hold back lava. I had a speardwarf permanently stationed in the said corridor but he or she is off eating, drinking, or sleeping as of taking the image dump. The designation past the magma flow is a special extra thing I have planned, and it might be possible to complete it too.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 02:25:47 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 20, 2012, 02:28:06 pm »

Hope you like lava little.... Holy shit that's alot of lava.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 42