Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 42

Author Topic: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort  (Read 47183 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort
« Reply #210 on: November 29, 2012, 04:08:57 pm »

11th Moonstone, 1052

I had Asea try his hand and ordered some crossbows made. They weren't exactly great, but they certainly weren't the worst things I've ever seen. Mining out the main dining hall is nearly done, though right now LightningFalcon is giving us a little breathing room along the edges of the cave river. I saw him rummaging through the things we'd traded to the merchants right before they left, and that look he keeps giving me for our sparse dinners is.... Unsettling, as is Corai's. He seems to veiw everyone with suspicion or at the very least a sort of apathy I've never seen before. And coming from me that's saying something. I've also tasked Ruhn to make our stone furnishings, since there isn't any fish to be had this time of year as far as I know. I'd have traps lain along the river for lobster catching, but we just don't have the  resources or dwarves for that.

13th Moonstone, 1052

Evidently a dwarf named Oddom had neglected his own pick or something and took the one meant for Eshtan. No matter. I've questioned him on his loyalties and he assures me that so long as he breathes he'll remain at the side of the throne. Pitchblende is still lain up, which is unfortunate. At least he's being fed and watered regularly. The intended statue garden is almost finished, with half of it smoothed out. Now we just need some statues and doors, and a bridge to act as a wall in case we need to lock it down if work isn't getting done.

15th Moonstone, 1052

The cougar from last year is back, probably prowling our front lawn for the groundhogs that left early into Autumn. Sodel has also informed me that the river outside has frozen over. Just. Fucking. Great. Now we have dwarves with even less to do than before and no way to sustain them. Bag making is taking longer than I'd like, and I've realized out kitchen was trashed in the cave in earlier this year. I've ordered a small space dug out, with a seperate room for a still for when we eventually get enough surplus plants to brew anything, and a new kitchen. Nw, to find someone with skill in cooking...

17th Moonstone, 1052

I've ordered what few bags we have be pressed into service. Our culling program gave us a small amount of meat for now, as well as bones and skulls for spring trade, and leather for... Something. Hell if I know what we'll use it for. Sodel was complaining about the river being frozen when he was the one who informed me. Suck it up and try the cave river dumbass.

21st Moonstone, 1052

HURRY IT UP YOU TOOLS WE NEED THAT FLOUR!!! Seriously, stop complaining that you can't give your friend a sandwich when you ravenous dogs didn't ration it like I told you to.

22nd Moonstone, 1052

I've found a note by the bowyer's shop. Its implications are absolutly horrendous against Aseaheru, but.... Something isn't right. I've seen Asea's handwriting, since that was his first means of asking for the damned building in the first place. It's too... Neat, the mechanics too well understood. I'll have to see if anyone knows this handwriting, because whoever wrote this neglected to include Asea's cat-brain affliction.

So, we're out of food, and out of edible animals that don't belong to someone. I think I can spare some of the longland grass for booze to help speed up work, but we need food more than anything right now, so shall we sacrifice the cow owner so we can make use of the livestock?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 29, 2012, 04:16:03 pm »

why not? or just lock me in a nice room and kill the oldest cats...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 29, 2012, 06:44:17 pm »

23rd Moonstone, 1052

Found a couple of strays and sent them to the shops. Whatever we can get we can get.

24th Moonstone, 1052

SanDiego is behaving strangly. I saw him march right up to the forge, and he put up a sign saying "Do not disturb." I asked around if he's been out, but no-one has said anything. I fear he's been lost to us, as one of the notes he wrote depicted an ore mine. We've ore aplenty, but he may want iron or lead ore, neither of which we have that I know of.

25th Moonstone, 1025

I've ordered some barrels made, and some of the longland grass we've got to be brewed. The work slows are unacceptable now. We also now have our very first bit of milled product, a bag of good ol' dwarven sugar. I prefer the cane sugar of Limulid myself, but I'm a very long way from there to ever see that again.

3rd Opal, 1052

Galena! of course! I can see Galena in the walls of the river, that's what SanDiego needs! I've oredered an emergency tunnel dug to reach the ore so we can save him. My hopes are low, but if they manage it we'll at least avoid a preventable death.

5th Opal, 1052

LightningFalcon and Oddom are working as quickly as they can in thier sober state, alternating to attend to thier needs are required. If we're lucky, SanDiego won't meet his relative in the next life before his time. We also have some longland seeds and flour now, so we may be able to process us some food if someone would just build that damned kitchen.

14th Opal, 1052

Bags are now a problem. And I know what to use our leather for. More bags. We have two bags of flour, one of sugar, and five small bundles of seeds to cook into something useful.

19th Opal, 1052

Eshtan is finally at work helping mine. He went to the forge to get his pick and got it pitched at him. He wound up with a concussion but is now taking third shift so LightningFalcon and Oddom can take much needed time at night to sleep. I'm pretty sure it'll be fruitless though.

7th Obsidian, 1052

Good god, the whining about no food top give eachother is MADDENING. I've ferreted away some dead rats I had salted ina little alcove so I can head into the hills until such a time as I feel I can come back, though I will make periodic visits to check on things. We did finally get a few seed busicuts made, with Pitchblende taking priority and Rakust managing to call dibs before anyone else. Sodel and Ruhn still try to pull fish from the cave river, to no avail.

10th Obsidian, 1052

I've ordered several unused coffins be made ready as a precaution. Our cook's sobriety is making his preparation slow. Honestly I think this place is doomed and it's all because of one oversight earlier in the year. On the plus, it will get rid of whatever subversives are here if they all starve.

12th Obsidian, 1052

I saw Ruhun fighting one of Aseaheru's cats for a rat. This fortress is doomed.

13th Obsidian, 1052

I hear Ratmen! FUCKING RATMEN. KILL THEM. KILL THEM ALL. Ablel was chasing a rather plump rat when a group of ratmen attacked. The stonefalls did some harm, maiming one and killing another. I grabbed whatever dwarves were nearby and sent them at the enemy: Feb, Corai, and Aseaheru were the closest awake dwarves. Sandiego is also lost, having gone mad before we could reach that damned galena ore.

14th Obsidian, 1052

We have no idea what the hell is happening, but our dwarves have rushed to fight the intruders. The sound of the fight has ceased echoing from across the river. ABlel, evidently mistaking them for edible rats, had beaten two to death by the time Corai arrived to help, With Feb and Asea holding pack incase things went  south. Some damned chimps also raided the depot, stealing a few peices of clothing and some leather out of an outdoor tannery. i've ordered the door to the chasm locked and the stonefalls rearmed. The bodies are being removed now.

15th Obsidian, 1052

I've asked Asea to install a weapontrap using what swords we had, since those stupid monkies stole the rest (whoever left two swords outside is going to get thrown down a waterfall if I find out.)

18th Obsidian, 1052

I'm crowing concerned with how gaunt these dwarves look. It may be time to arrange an accident for Fath.

20th Obsidian, 1052

I'm arranging for someone else to take over this mess. I feel horrible, but I can survive more readily on my own out in the hills. Plus, Ruhn was able to tell me who tried to incrimminate Asea of Treason. I'll need to leave anyway so i can avoid being killed in my sleep. A good thing though, is that the river out front has thawed.

21st Obsidian, 1052

It's done. I have a "malfunction" set to occur while I task Fath to inspect a bridge for me. Having your chef stop making food because he's took hungry to make said fucking food is too damned sad.

23rd Obsidian, 1052

We'll be getting some food as soon as someone kills the bulls. It had to be done for the good of the others, I have no regrets. Fath Erithurem has been crushed under a drawbridge. i've told as many who would listen to get to killing the damned bulls, and CaptainArchmage stepped up to the task.

28th Obsidian, 1052

I've grabbed an extra gobbet of  meet and a flask of water, and I'm heading out. I'll leave a note with some rough sketeches of the area for whomever finds it. I'll need to remeber to make regular returns so I can make sure the fortress stays loyal. Oddom and Asea are confiurmed loyalists, and Ablel, while indifferent to succession believes the idea to be foolish since we rely on support from the mountainhomes.

Loyalist dwarves should be here this coming year, but given our cave-in and food disasters and no new arrivals in autumn I won't be shocked if none come.

Save and change of office note to come shortly. We now have some food, if only because I sacrificed Fath so we could eat her bulls. We've plenty of plump helmet spawns (I made sure to keep those in stock) so as soon as the Spring flood hits, GET THEM SOWN. A pic of the fort will come with the office abandonment note. SanDiego II went funny in the head and due to no lead or iron ore, went Stark Raving Mad. I can redorf you if you'd like before I post a save since I still actually have one more day in-game.

Pitchblende

• Bay Watcher
  • Ne cede malis
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 29, 2012, 09:38:33 pm »

So, we're running out of food, a rebellion is being planned, a few people died, SanDiego II went mad and my dwarf is stuck in a hospital.

I consider this a successful turn.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 29, 2012, 09:47:31 pm »

More like pending euthanization in your bedroom. It seems there's nothing resembling healthcare aside from feeding and watering you, or our dwarves are all a bunch of abnormally apathetic assholes who won't sew up the messed up bits.

Pitchblende

• Bay Watcher
  • Ne cede malis
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 29, 2012, 10:26:06 pm »

Is suturing a labor in .23a?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 29, 2012, 10:31:24 pm »

Evidently not, just looked it up. So.... Would you like me to lock the door?

Pitchblende

• Bay Watcher
  • Ne cede malis
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 29, 2012, 10:54:05 pm »

No!

Obsidianize my body and make sword out of it if you can.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 29, 2012, 10:57:34 pm »

That would take more effort than would be practical, but I'm sure someone will abide by your request later.

Pitchblende

• Bay Watcher
  • Ne cede malis
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 29, 2012, 11:02:25 pm »

Eh, either that or immolate Pitchblende in magma.

Regardless, I'll just think my dwarf has become paranoid lunatic that thinks gremlins will come to finish him off at any moment.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 11:09:11 pm by Pitchblende »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 29, 2012, 11:46:35 pm »

The following is a note stuck inside a blank journal, with a sketch on the inside cover.

To whom it may concern,

I leave Crafteddreams with my head held low in shame of the many deaths and disasters I fostered due to either necessity or accident. To you I leave a spare journal with a sketch of all we have in it with the important things marked. I shall return periodically to check up on things and talk to fellow loyalist dwarves about the current state of affairs, so remeber:

Our Fortunes rise and fall together.

- Splint

And here's the link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7179 To the next poor sod in line, good hunting.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 30, 2012, 12:17:57 am »

Oh. Is it my turn, right? Will check it out soon.
Expect a lot of stupid casualties, 'cause I''ve never touched this antique version before.

Is that link just a save only, or full package with DF executable and data files?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:25:32 am by peregarrett »
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 30, 2012, 12:25:49 am »

My casualties were from an architural oversight (I'd looked it up before too for god's sake.) Honestly I'm thinking you'll have at least one or two swept into the river and a bunch of possibly starvation related deaths. or gremlins and ratmen. Get those plump helmets in the ground as soon as possible.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 30, 2012, 02:36:50 am »

You're asking Mechanic Mason to fix food production problem? Okay then.  8)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 02:41:07 am by peregarrett »
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 30, 2012, 02:44:56 am »

I actually enabled cooking on... two dwarves I think? And that was Sodel and Rakust. Granted Rakust is a mason though.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 42