Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 42

Author Topic: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort  (Read 47152 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort
« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2012, 02:56:37 pm »

ah, but if you can pressurize the magma then its sort of a cannon.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2012, 03:26:30 pm »

You can't pressurize in .23a as there are no pumps and no z-levels. The magma just flows out, killing everything.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2012, 03:29:39 pm »

awwwww. i had a plan and everything!
Highly Opinionated Fool

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 13, 2012, 10:14:49 pm »

And lo, did Splint's journal continue.

21st granite, 1052.

Well this is lovely, with all the sarcasm intended. We accidently hit a bend in the cave river; found lovely looking waterfall though. But it's no excuse for geology to mess up my design.

9th Slate, 1052. 

Nothing important happened really. Mining continues on both ends of the river. I at least want to have us in a proper layout by my tenure's end. More apartments set to be dug, since we'll probably need them.

11th Slate, 1052.

We had a few random edibles and other odds and ends growing in the muck, so I ordered them to be uprooted to see what we have. Dunno if anyone has any skill in herbalism though, so I may need to just grab some dwarf and tell them to have at it.

15th Slate, 1052.

Stopped raining, not that it really matters since nearly none of us go outside anymore unless we need something.

17th Slate, 1052.

Migrants. Numbers unknown, so I'm going to greet to learn thier names and what they brought. Looks like at least three or four young cows and a mule. God I hate mules. No way to breed more so all they're good for is meat and useless pets unless the owner dies. Bah. Issued a blanket order for wood for beds and charcoal so those ratfuck meatheads we call a militia will at least have proper weapons.

18th Slate, 1052

Migrant listing: Dwarves
Cerol Gazebooks - Male - Mason/engraver
Sigun Bankdagger - Female -Jeweler
Lokum Boardoors - Female - General farmer
Fath Laboredfather - Female - Jeweler
Dodok Orbstricken - Male - Trapper
Eshtan Shieldglides - Male - Mechanic
Kol Gearedcrystal - Male - Metalsmith
Morul Spellspear - Female - General Farmer
Ablel Wealthspaged - Female - Miner
Kulet Mysterypaddle - Female - carpenter
Rakust Heroictour - Male - Mason
Kogan Holepaged - Male - Resource Sponge that I hope dies or gets snatched so we don't have to care for him.
Deler Shotirons - Female - Peasent
Sodel Pullyabbbeys - Female - Peasant
Feb Onecloister - Male - Peasent
Cerol Bronzemurders Male - Peasant

They brought with them three cows and a mule, all juviniles, an adult tomcat all owned. I didn't bother to learn anything specific about them, I'll be long gone before it truely matters.The peasants will probably assign them to the militia when we have more weaponry. I've also just registered we may suffer some very minor flooding in one of the apartment sections.... oh well.

1st Felsite, 1052.

The miners have at long last decided to get to digging out a space for the floods. Not that it matters sadly. But I'm sure the next Overseer will appreciate it when the spring floods come. Hmm. I may want to put some supports up before they finish.

6th Felsite, 1052.

We've relocated some poor fool named SanDiego's remains into the larger communal crypt. His younger cousin, who'd been named for him, oversaw the move. Also decided to install some more coffins. Knowing the luck of our race we'll need them.

9th Felsite, 1052.

I've ordered a few more obsidian swords be made. They hold a fine edge and I may well use one myself if I decide to stay. The main entrance hall is being widened, and I've decided to move all of our food to a location accross the river and have space for a statue garden made. Oh and we're currently sitting at thirty hearty dwarves, though i fully expect to reach double that by autumn. Maybe I'll convert the meeting hall into a giant military barracks...

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2012, 10:21:28 pm »

Fixed main page, added Corai in.

Keep up the good work!
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2012, 11:05:41 pm »

[Nobody important died but.... I accidently our food supply and some dwarves.]

12th Felsite, 1052

Aseaheru was adopted by yet another cat. Stopped raining for a bit. Started up again not long after.

13th Felsite, 1052

Grabbed the peasentry we had, sent them out to the river to catch fish. If nothing else we'll avoid starving a little longer.

16th Felsite, 1025

Some silk being woven evidently. Ordered some pigtail and longland grass seeds to be cooked, and since we have some plump helmet spawn (a grand total of three) I ordered a tiny farm plot be made. It might not be much, but it'll have to do for now.

20th Felsite, 1052

I've ordered surface plants be gathered in desperation. Also ordered a temporary fish cleaning station be made, only to find another had been built previously.

22nd Felsite, 1052

Evidently no fish in the river. That's.... That's not good. And since we weren't doing anything else, I've had out road paved over a little bit.

23rd Felsite, 1052 

Errrr...... So we  now have four fatalities due to a cave in that trashed most of our food. Again. So yeah. We're probably done for now, unless the elves have anything useful on them when they come. After doing a headcount, I've found that the following have perished:

Deler Keskaldaten, Peasent
Kogan Oggezmorul, the child and now corpse. Serves him right for doing nothing useful.
Ablel Limarmorul, Miner. This is a touch distressing. But we can always make a replacement pick since we have fuel for the forges now and ore to smelt.
Rigoth Athelurrith, Craftsdwarf. No idea what craft specifically.

Evidently one of the masons (I think we have two) is a touch upset, as two of the dead were his family. Oh well. If he loses hiusshit over it we can replace it.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 16, 2012, 11:08:25 pm »

support spamming?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 16, 2012, 11:11:05 pm »

I thought there was stone holding up that space. I was horribly HORRIBLY wrong.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 16, 2012, 11:29:10 pm »

Journal of Corai, entry one. Felsite 23rd 1052.

Today has been dreadful. Our fortress has had a terrible disaster, the deaths of four young dwarves due to recklessness on our overseer's behalf. Of the fallen was a young child, Kogan I believe. The overseer seems pleased by his death! This is simply inexcusable and disgusting.  In the same disaster, our food supply has been destroyed as well and we are unable to get more to survive. Hopefully our elvish trading partners will be able to help us out of this.

-Corai
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 18, 2012, 03:25:34 pm »

Addendum, 23rd Felsite, 1052

Seems the death toll was sadly higher, with a peasent, Cerol Kilrudusan,  and a dog having also been killed and numerous workshops destroyed. Lesson learned, and more supports are being errected, doubly so in the crypt as a precaution. I may have to plea with the elves for relief aid after all of this, but we have to swallow our pride and deal with it thanks to this mistake.

25th Felsite, 1052

There was a minor cave-in along the riverside. No injuires and just some dust and dirt kicked up. I've converted what was going to be a statue garden into a temporary storage point. Pitchblende and his assistant report that the main food store is almost finished but we still need a place for what little provisions we have.

1st Hematite, 1052

Also known as June in some cultures. Summer is here and no elves have come to trade. We.... We're in dire straights now. While I am loath to do so after the disasters that have claimed a full sixth of our population (I'll admit it was my own fault, as it was a minor oversight and it cost us dearly,) I may need to send out gatherers furth upriver to find food.... And we may end up with more dwarves soon. -The page is filled by what appears to be FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU scrawled until the end of the page-

3rd Hematite, 1052

The gods have struck! Rakust Obursigun, the Mason who'd before been weeping in the corner over the death of his wife and child, came screaming dopwn the hall something I can only call broken Vamari. Where this dwarf even learned any of the foxfolk's language I'll never know. He punted a dawrf out of our masonry shop and has set about gathering materials, threatening everyone who goes near him with being bludgeoned to death with a large rock.

5th Hematite, 1052

Rakust spent two days rooting through our boulders for just two hunks of limestone that he muttered werte 'right' and shortly after went into the shop with a bundle of uncut rose quartz. I've already started a betting pool with Corai betting it'll be a door, while Pitchblende says it'll be a chair, and SanDiego says it'll be a table. If none of them are right, I'll end up 20 gold coins and two silver richer.

8th Hematite, 1052

Pitchblende is now a few coins richer, as Rakust made Glazedfocus, a Limestone throne. It's decorated with chevrons of limestone and has spikes of rose quartz and limestone going around the back of it. Quite a sight really. None of us have skill in apraisle work though so honestly we have no damned idea what it's worth. He allegedly felt uneasy about it afterwards and dropped it in the main hall. I've already designated a place on Pitchblende's maps to dig out a administrative wing so we'll be ready when our nation's nobility take root and the various guild heads and  weapon cults arrive. Speaking of which, I have decided we'll have first the Order of the Axe take root, and have asked for some fuel to be made. Once we are instituted among our people's holdings politically, attracting a Cult leader may lead to a boon in weapon production which in turn will lead to the training of many skilled weaponsmiths.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 18, 2012, 03:35:13 pm »

YAYS! were any of my cats hurt? what about me?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 18, 2012, 03:43:01 pm »

This is meant to be taken in stride: If you or your pets got hurt or killed I would have said so. You did this in SPearbreakers as well, just take it in stride. If you died or anything you'll be mentioned.

Also that person I had labeled as resource sponge was a child, not a peasent. 4 years old.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 18, 2012, 03:53:24 pm »

ow. i asked as that is something my dwarf might ask. hes kind of clueless with medical maters.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 18, 2012, 03:54:55 pm »

Why the hell would he ask if HE drowned? That's dumb even by dwarf standards.

Although given his prximity to so many cats I'm not shocked. Another update soon. Mastah, your dead falls in the depot entry screwed us out of supplies.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2012, 03:55:55 pm »

drowned? i thought the roof fell.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 42